Posts: 23 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Bolivia
Hi all,

I know this is a very speculative question, but, how do you foresee the future of this community?

1. Do you think this community will be the starting point or merging point with the Meego community?
2. Do you think it will exist until Maemo will be completely forgotten?
3. Do you think it will update Maemo to new versions until the supported devices will render obsolete (say Maemo 6, or PR 1.3) ?
4. Other?

Thanks in advance,

Ernesto

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
1. Do you think this community will be the starting point or merging point with the Meego community?
EDIT: I don't know anything about the MeeGo community, but I think that this community and the MeeGo community will work together.

Yes, maybe in the last year/months of Maemo the community will only consist of purists, but this community does a lot for Maemo, and it will probably keep doing that for a long time.

3. Do you think it will update Maemo to new versions until the supported devices will render obsolete (say Maemo 6, or PR 1.3) ?
I don't think the community can make Maemo updates..
Even though a lot can be tweaked and edited, I'm not sure if people here can update the OS. Because of hard-coding or something.

Last edited by Berserk; 2010-08-29 at 01:15.

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...

I think people that are interested in Meego will go to Meego.com and people interested in Maemo will stay at Maemo.org. They are not mutually exclusive though. As far as I know there won't be a 'mass copy' of user ids from Maemo.org -> Meego.com so if you want to contribute over there you need to create an account there manually.

I think Maemo.org will exist until Nokia stops paying the bills. The Maemo "community" may live on after that on some other site/sub-forum until the very last person gives up (estimated time: Jan 24, 2013).

If you by "it" mean Nokia then I'd say that personally I think there's a 50-50 chance that there will be a 1.3 update but after that I don't expect to see any kind of official support for the Maemo5 platform.

If you by "it" also include community efforts like the SSU then you may well see 'support' for Maemo long after Nokia has moved on to the next shiny thing. (Maemo6 is for all points and purposes "Harmattan" - which, is MeeGo").

4. Other?
I'm about to have a cold beer and some crawfish.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post

I think people that are interested in Meego will go to Meego.com and people interested in Maemo will stay at Maemo.org. They are not mutually exclusive though. As far as I know there won't be a 'mass copy' of user ids from Maemo.org -> Meego.com so if you want to contribute over there you need to create an account there manually.
You may use maemo.org OpenID to log in on meego.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 679 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Lyon, France
Originally Posted by ebasconp View Post
Hi all,

I know this is a very speculative question, but, how do you foresee the future of this community?
I find crystal ball works best... tea-leaves have been promising too.

4. Other?
I think the Maemo community will split in two. A substantial number of Maemo users & developers will stay signed up to both Maemo & MeeGo forums for a while, and will at some stage (prob. the end of this year) stop listening to Maemo. An equally substantial number will not subscribe to MeeGo forums and will (eventually) die away. So, from your multiple choice, 1 and 2 are both correct, and I think that 3 will not happen.

Dave.

As the Meego starts becoming more ready it will be integrated to Maemo.org. If this doesn´t happen, I am very amazed.

Yes. As the n800 and n810 are still developed, it shows that the platform has community to back it up. There is always ways to improve it.

PR 1.3 will come very shortly (and this I know from a fact ). After that there is little to no work done to the Maemo 5. As to what comes to Maemo 6, the future is very unclear.

Last edited by Mc_mice; 2010-09-07 at 12:40.