Notices


Reply
Thread Tools
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
#11
Nowt wrong with an N810 - dropped back to using mine as my N900 is back at Nokia for repair/replacement.

Plenty right with it. Opera works as well as the browser on the N900, and better in some cases. Transmission web client works better on the N810 for a start, even in the stock browser. Screen and overall design is very nice and with the metal finish feels a lot better than the N900.

The fact that you can browse Windows fileshares out of the box is a big plus for me as well - cant do that on a N900.

I do wish it had better navigation, but then that's true of the N900, and Maemo Mapper works great with a 3G data connection.

I would also like a working twitter client, and album art in the stock media player. Canola's nice but later versions are buggy.
__________________
______________________________

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________
 
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
#12
Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
... Plenty right with it. ... Canola's nice but later versions are buggy.
Yup, on both counts... Have you tried MediaBox?

That's the thing... I've had my N810 for years now, and I'm still tweaking it, getting it to work even better, finding some new app, or new way to use an old one. Nothing has come along to for me to say "Wow, I want something that will run THAT." I mean, the closest thing to that is YouTube videos... but I don't really care.

Sure, for your typical iPhone user, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time getting that piece of junk N810 to actually work... but I'm a geek and, well, that's called 'fun.' It certainly didn't do much of anything useful out of the box. Now, I'm at the other end. I guess my life has co-evolved with that thing to the point where it is doing near-exactly what I want. Now, every time I think about trying something new... I hesitate because I need it to be working right, all the time, all day. It's so useful it's actually annoying. That's why I want a replacement... not necessarily to replace it, but to be a replacement if necessary, so I can play again.

My daily routine is now dependent on an old piece of underpowered technology that has no corporate support and no obvious replacement. At least it still has a great community

David...
 
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
#13
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
Yup, on both counts... Have you tried MediaBox?

That's the thing... I've had my N810 for years now, and I'm still tweaking it, getting it to work even better, finding some new app, or new way to use an old one. Nothing has come along to for me to say "Wow, I want something that will run THAT." I mean, the closest thing to that is YouTube videos... but I don't really care.

Sure, for your typical iPhone user, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time getting that piece of junk N810 to actually work... but I'm a geek and, well, that's called 'fun.' It certainly didn't do much of anything useful out of the box. Now, I'm at the other end. I guess my life has co-evolved with that thing to the point where it is doing near-exactly what I want. Now, every time I think about trying something new... I hesitate because I need it to be working right, all the time, all day. It's so useful it's actually annoying. That's why I want a replacement... not necessarily to replace it, but to be a replacement if necessary, so I can play again.

My daily routine is now dependent on an old piece of underpowered technology that has no corporate support and no obvious replacement. At least it still has a great community

David...
Yea, Mediabox has great features, but I never could get used to the interface. What I have always loved about Canola is the quick way you can play randomly from the whole library.

There is not really still a decent replacement for the N810, or at least I have not found one, and yea although it's a bit old it still rocks, and at current prices presents a massive bargain. I love having a tablet I can shove in a pocket, but still has a hardware keyboard.
__________________
______________________________

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________
 
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
#14
One trick i found when I got the 810 was that you could put a wriststrap though the frame where the stylus fits.
Really useful for when you are walking around with the device.
__________________
______________________________

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________
 
Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
#15
@op: I have a good condition 810 sitting around doing nothing. You can have it if your new device doesn't suit. Original box and accessories, also have a car mount knocking about somewhere I think. Since your loyalty to the N8x0 series touched me, you can have it free. Email me. As you are in Canada and I'm in the UK, I would appreciate you paying for postage. I would trust you to do this after you receive the device. Your call.
__________________
Mobile: [Nokia Lumia 800] [Nokia N9 PR1.3] [Nokia N900 - CSSU 16.8] [Nokia N8 - Nokia Belle]
Static: [Mac OS X 10.8.2] [Win8 64Bit]
 

The Following User Says Thank You to philheaton For This Useful Post:
Fionn's Avatar
Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
#16
Originally Posted by philheaton View Post
@op: I have a good condition 810 sitting around doing nothing. You can have it if your new device doesn't suit. Original box and accessories, also have a car mount knocking about somewhere I think. Since your loyalty to the N8x0 series touched me, you can have it free.
Originally Posted by fixerdave View Post
At least it still has a great community
^^ You're not wrong there.
 
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
#17
Originally Posted by philheaton View Post
@op: I have a good condition 810 sitting around doing nothing. You can have it ...
>>>>>

For those curious, I have, of course, lept (near fell off my chair) at Phil's most generous offer. Stay tuned and I'll let everyone know how it works out.

David...
 
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
#18
Ever since my N810 broke few years ago I've been searching for a device to replace it. I've been disappointed by Alwaysinnovating, Android and Apple.

My search will end the next weekend when I trade my iTouch 3g for a used Nokia N810.
__________________
Touch Book .. do not waste you money on it.
 
Posts: 86 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Sep 2011
#19
I have 2 N810s with broken screens sitting in my nightstand. Everything else works just fine, they just need screens. I'm willing to give them away as well.
 
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Victoria BC Canada
#20
Originally Posted by Johnnie Price View Post
I have 2 N810s with broken screens sitting in my nightstand. Everything else works just fine, they just need screens. I'm willing to give them away as well.
I'd be more than happy to pay for shipping to get them. However, to be honest, I'm already feeling very fortunate so other's are welcome to jump on this if they'd like. If not, well, even having them to practice taking apart before I have a go at seeing what's bent out of shape on my slider would be more than worth the shipping. Spare parts, oh yeah!

I 'gotta ask though... 2 of them, both with broken screens? What exactly are you doing with them?... twice?

David...
 
Reply

Tags
nokia n810, wanted

Thread Tools

 
Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 19:52.