Active Topics

Notices

Can anyone tell me what is the function of X-terminal application in N900
and is there Oxford Medical Dictionary for this device ?

thanks for help.

x-terminal is the command line interface (a terminal basically). Most things in Linux can be done either through GUI (clicks and typing into prompts) or instructions from the command line..

E.g. to change folders in a GUI you can click open the file manager, then navigate to the folder you want.

To do so in the command line its cd /wherever/whatever

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 332 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ St. Augustine, Trinidad and Tobago
Although many people scoff at the thought of a terminal, it can be a very, very useful thing to have.

Many computer professionals love it.

As do I.
  • two magic OTG USB adapters
  • crossed fingers

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Espoo
Can't help you regarding the OMD, but I do have some familiarity with the Xterminal. Its function - the same as an X-terminal on any other computer!

I often use it to SSH into my home machine, where I can pick up my screen session.

I also like to anagram in my spare time, and have written a console-based helper program for finding anagrams. E.g.:

talk.maemo.org forums = fake glamor/smut room

(Don't complain, it's nearly 3am, and that only took a minute to find.)

I need to OK with Qgil or someone what I'm allowed to say and show here, as I've done some pretty witty things in an Xterminal this evening, and would like to share them with the community at large.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatPhil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
The X Terminal is the command line; the gateway to awesomeness.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by tito_66 View Post
Can anyone tell me what is the function of X-terminal application in N900
and is there Oxford Medical Dictionary for this device ?

thanks for help.
If you have to ask, you don't need it. Truly.

Posts: 116 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Yorkshire
^^^^ Like he said.

If you don't know what the terminal is, you probably don't need to worry about it.

The terminal can be considered as a way of getting at the "guts" of the os.

You can do many great things from within the terminal. You can also do a great deal of damage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmob For This Useful Post:
It will be my most used app just as it is on my laptop. It is an amazing tool for managing servers.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
If you have to ask, you don't need it. Truly.
That may be the case but we need to just answer the question and let the users decide what they need. I'm seeing this too often now.

Many of the new heads are new to Linux, but not to technology and mobile hacking. Some people buy a device and learn the skills needed to mod and tweak it, as I and others did with Symbian. Don't underestimate the knowledge of users, nor the desire or willingness to gain advanced skills along the way.

I've been using Linux for a few months, and I say learn about terminal if you plan to do any tweaking of your device, since this is the easiest way to do it. To make a point of how powerful it is, remember this. Android is hacked just to give it this access, though it accesses a more simplistic OS architecture than Maemo by far.

Last edited by christexaport; 2009-11-17 at 01:37.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to christexaport For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
Originally Posted by christexaport View Post
That may be the case but we need to just answer the question and let the users decide what they need. I'm seeing this too often now.

Many of the new heads are new to Linux, but not to technology and mobile hacking. Some people buy a device and learn the skills needed to mod and tweak it, as I and others did with Symbian. Don't underestimate the knowledge of users, nor the desire or willingness to gain advanced skills along the way.

I've been using Linux for a few months, and I say learn about terminal if you plan to do any tweaking of your device, since this is the easiest way to do it. To make a point of how powerful it is, remember this. Android is hacked just to give it this access, though it accesses a more simplistic OS architecture than Maemo by far.
I go into the mechanic and say, "I heard my car has a torque converter, what do I need to know about that?"

Mechanic: "Nothing!"

Moral: If the guy is going to start trouble shooting or rebuilding his Automatic transmission, he'll pick up something about Torque Converters along the way.

Tags
gateway to awesomeness, if you have to ask, it's not for you, orange nuts