Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
or is that guy from Deep Space 9?),

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTT??????????

that's commander data, what kinda geek are u??

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to hotnikkelz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
My take on that review from Wired.com

Getting past the lock screen is annoyingly difficult. As with Samsung’s new Galaxy S2, you must grab and drag a lock screen graphic in order to access the menu. Now, on the Galaxy S2, you can swipe the graphic in any direction for menu access, as long as it makes it off the screen. It’s the same with the N9, though far more difficult: The swiping motions weren’t intuitive, and dragging upward from the bottom of the screen took me three or four tries before getting it right.
This is utter bullcrap if I ever saw it. The SGS2 one had enormous glitches in it that made it a whole bag of problems, thats why everyone uses Widget Locker.

Disregarding the SGS2s shortcomings, the unlock on the N9 is... ridicolously easy to use. I never manage to NOT unlock my phone when I want to. Not because I focus real hard or Im some kind of Supermario of Smartphones. Its just quite simple. Im actually surprised that someone would even mention the lockscreen in a review.

Swiping upward on an open MeeGo app moves it to a separate menu of open apps, almost like the deck of cards found in HP’s webOS. It’s a feature I’ve always enjoyed, and it’s nice to see it deployed in other OS environments. But be warned: Too many open apps does not a stable system make. The N9 started getting crashy as we broached four or five running apps.
To clear it up, you can swipe from any direction and its minimized to the background, except if youve set the swipe from top to always close the app, then just the other three will minimize it.

Ive ran 30 apps at once and while stuttery while apps were loading, once fully loaded I had no hangups in the menus or the apps themselves.

So they clearly had an old FW or a faulty device.

Unfortunately, MeeGo is a dead OS walking, as it were. Nokia plans to make Microsoft’s Windows Phone software its “principle smartphone strategy” going forward, which makes for a very limited shelf life for the N9.
Dead OS again. So dead... Like maemo5. Its not like we ever saw another maemo unit ever again. Oh wait. The n9. Also theres meltemi. Also theres community. Also theres nokia supporting it until 2015.

Which ultimately leads to Nokia’s other major problem: apps, or a lack thereof. iOS and Android app inventories number in the hundreds of thousands, while MeeGo’s weighs in at something less than a rounding error. You’ll find no direct app hooks into Gmail or Google Maps, and there’s no incentive for third-party developers to bring their wares to the MeeGo platform. To be fair, through, the N9 does come with a pre-installed version of Angry Birds.
First off why do every review claim N9 comes with Angry Birds? Its a demo version that gives you 5 levels, rest of which have to be unlocked by NFC. Not exactly big research done there.

You have integration with picasa, which is a google thing. Maps you dont need cause... Ovi Maps goddamnit.

Sure appstore and market has tons of apps. Most of which are copies of the same app, and most of which are apps that download wallpapers/ringtones or are a copy of that cat app. Sure market has good apps, like swiftkey x for one. But Ive got a LITTLE belief in the developers here. And honestly, if we disregard homescreen customization apps for Android, Ive almost got more apps downloaded on my N9 right now than I ever had on the SGS2.

Then they say something about the camera. Yeah its fast, but its nothing compared to the quality of N8 for instance. Who is writing these reviews??

Sorry I just had to get that out. Im getting so sick of ignorance and horribly flawed misinformative reviews of this phone. One norwegian site put up a reivew riddled with halftruths and misinformation, and I kinda waged a little war in their comments there... Until the writer just couldnt back anything up and said "yeah my review-N9 is shipped off, and I cant spend time on this". Which would be fair enough, but they didnt even change the article to change the flat out lies they presented as truth in the article.

Kind of annoys me for some leave-that-****-to-a-shrink reason.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
"Starts to crash with 5 apps open"? What starts to crash? The whole OS? Really? Or is the apps? Which apps? Is it reproducible? Who else has had this issue? More details please, or it's a lame review dripping with FUD.
I expect they're referring to either the 'low memory - close some apps' message or the 'application not responding' message. The former would make more sense. I have witnessed this quite a few times on my N950 with the beta2 firmware, often with only one or two applications running. It did not happen with the previous firmware, and I have not yet witnessed it with the latest firmware, although I've only been using the device for a few hours since the update.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
About this being a dead OS.
I say if you're gonna die, "die with your boots on" like the Iron Maiden song says that I'm listening to right now while connected to this hotel's wifi using this multi touch keyboard.
I finally made it to the Philippines. I went to an SM mall here and went to a Globe office and signed up for 15 days unlimited internet. They screwed up and instead gave me phone/messages. The sim worked fine. It's a pre-paid deal over here where you go buy a load card and then you call a number to activate it.
Seeing the mistake Globe made the next place I saw to get internet was Suntel. I went inside and purchased 7 days of internet and the sim card. They won't give you a micro sim unless you have a post paid account. I figured I'll just get the card and go into one of these cellphone stores and ask em to cut my card. I did that but the N9 cannot see the card when I insert it. It had no problems with the Globe card though.

The Following User Says Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
I expect they're referring to either the 'low memory - close some apps' message or the 'application not responding' message. The former would make more sense. I have witnessed this quite a few times on my N950 with the beta2 firmware, often with only one or two applications running. It did not happen with the previous firmware, and I have not yet witnessed it with the latest firmware, although I've only been using the device for a few hours since the update.
after you get some use with the pr1.1 fancy enlightening us to any major fixes with it? hope it doesnt break anything you've wrote already.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by smegheadz View Post
after you get some use with the pr1.1 fancy enlightening us to any major fixes with it? hope it doesnt break anything you've wrote already.
Sure. To be honest I didn't notice any major issues with the previous firmware, other than the frequent 'low memory' messages. These seem to have gone away, and better memory management was mentioned in the (fairly vague) changelog.

Some changes I have noticed so far:

1. The status bar now has blue @ symbol next to the time when you have new emails.

2. The Transfer Manager has a different appearance, with a black background rather than white. It appears to use a Sheet component rather than a Dialog to display individual download status.

Old:

New:

3. The theming of the MenuItem component has been changed when a dark theme is used (setting theme.inverted = true). Unfortunately my applications have two custom menu items (for sorting and searching), and the theming of these was broken. :/ It's my bad, really. I shouldn't have hardcoded the theming. I have already fixed them, and will issue updates within a day or two.

Old:

New:

Nokia seem to be making an effort to remove any large white areas, probably to help maximise battery life.

I use my N950 almost exclusively for application deployment and testing. I don't even have a sim card in it, because for some reason it doesn't want to retain a 3g signal for any longer than a few minutes at a time (N8 and N900 are rock solid with the same sim in the same location). I might try again now that the firmware is updated. In any case, the device is serving the purpose for which it was intended, so I'm not too bothered.

My website

GitHub

Last edited by marxian; 2011-10-20 at 01:23.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not sure exactly what you mean here...
Each and every WP7 phone to date has the very same display resolution, very same chipset with only very little deviation... and Steve Ballmer is walking around saying that Android is for computer geeks/scientist and then goes into how WP7 is for everyday people and it should be judged by the software, not the hardware.

Nevermind there's no 480x320 variant yet - Tango fixes that. Nevermind that there's no 1280x720, dual core with a forward facing camera version. No... Ballmer wants you to judge WP7 only it's software.

Same as Nokia. Ignore the hardware. Ignore how it's second tier at best... with the Galaxy Nexus and the like setting a new HD screen standard with a very capable CPU.

Sure, software is what makes things work well. But honestly, after perusing the MfE thread, that's not the case. There are other things... like no MSN plugin yet. Or how there's no widgets, or how Aegis is in the way of certain things/folks/progress. I know that a lot of the aforementioned have either workarounds or coming solutions... but it's all going to be seen as imperfect software on a OMAP3 CPU in an OMAP4 and higher world - other folks have better, why didn't Nokia?

Judge them only by the UI and software. Sounds familiar? Sounds like Microsoft... judge WP7 by the UI and the software.

See the similarities?

Anyway, that's my point. The whole "stop paying attention to the hardware" has some merit, but when Nokia and Microsoft are coming from two different directions but are saying the same thing... that concerns me. A lot.

How else are you supposed to judge whether a phone is right/useful (or not) for you? Personally I judge WP, and find it lacking. I haven't lived with it, but I have played with it.
Total package of software, UI and hardware as well as support from third party companies. But who are we kidding... OMAP3 is so last season.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Personally, I never saw the point of widgets. I tried liking them. Tried using them. Not in a "fine, sure ill try, oooh look im trying widgets oh what fun..." kind of way, but really made an effort.

In the end I used a battery widget that let me see the percentage left on my battery since the notification icon didnt do that for me. Thats it.

The rest of my homescreen were elaborate links to apps like phone, messages, g+, facebook, browser, etc.

Of course the HW isnt top of the line. Hell, its barely middle of the line as far as I can tell. Thats true. However the specs, as you say, must be seen in the light of how the OS makes use of it.

Not going to sit here and say that dualcore wouldnt be nice, cause... hell, who would. But same specs on something running Android 2.3.5 probably would be a hell of a lot worse of an experience than Maemo6.

Specswise Im pretty happy, though, with my N9. Great screen, good camera, could start up apps a bit faster though.

Its not "judge the UI/SW not the HW" its more like you say in the end; judge the phone entire.

kind of a flow of thoughts, this post. forgive that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by slai View Post
Personally, I never saw the point of widgets. I tried liking them. Tried using them. Not in a "fine, sure ill try, oooh look im trying widgets oh what fun..." kind of way, but really made an effort.
Say that to the N900 crowd. I triple dog dare you. The N900 crowd loved widgets the most, even surpassing the Android group imho.

Of course the HW isnt top of the line. Hell, its barely middle of the line as far as I can tell. Thats true. However the specs, as you say, must be seen in the light of how the OS makes use of it.
Now the question is... will the Harmattan engineers have enough time to "finish" it... PR1.1 adds some seriously cool tweaks. I know more are probably forthcoming, but more are definitely needed. It's still spitting out "low memory" errors, I've rarely seen one in Android nor WP7 or iOS.

Not going to sit here and say that dualcore wouldnt be nice, cause... hell, who would. But same specs on something running Android 2.3.5 probably would be a hell of a lot worse of an experience than Maemo6.
Until proven otherwise, the hardware decision was not based on any real reason other than it was inexpensive. Yet they still charge a premium? C'mon dawg... seriously?

Its not "judge the UI/SW not the HW" its more like you say in the end; judge the phone entire.
I'll wait until I have mine in hand before I judge the phone fully. But I would like forward thinking hardware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Ive never seen a low memory error on my N9. Ever. It happens on the N950 though, according to posts?

Price isnt really something I considered into the equation, youre of course right that its expensive. I just think of the device as it is, not in comparison to price. Im kinda dumb like that.

N900 crowd and widgets... iunno, when I had my N900 i never really used widgets either. A few contacts lined up, and links to apps like fmms, and so forth much like my Android times. I guess some people like widgets and others find the multitaskingview and feedscreen good enough. Matter of taste and use I assume.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????