Active Topics

Nokia FAILS on hardware again.
CPU is just an up-specked N900 (36xx vs 34xx) still one core.

GPU is the same with N900 PowerVR530. Only thing going is that it has more RAM.

Screen resolution is the same just 3.9" AMOLED.

So, will somebody tell my why this is worth my money instead of sticking to my N900 o/c to 1 GHz?

Also N950 has been announced which is more or less the same, plus keyboard minus AMOLED (Just TFT on same resolution).

The Following User Says Thank You to xenkof For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
So great, they have finally announced this device. Finally. And it is pretty much what we were expecting for the "consumer" device. Expecting for what, 1 month, 2?

I guess Jessie's Girl is pretty much RIP, then?... I'll cry for her, you can bet.

Now... "Click here and we will let you know when it hit the stores"? Ha ha. Sorry, I am not going to wait. I was expecting for ANYTHING soon. Any new Linux based "mobile computer" soon. hwkb or not, single or dual core, good or bad camera. I was going to buy the first "N900 successor" they put out. But it had to be now, immediately. Not going for a x weeks/months/quarters wait for that. Ciao.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
The N900 MeeGo DE/CE is not an official Nokia product and is not scheduled to get the N9 UIX (which may be closed source anyway). And yes the MeeGo UI sucks. I would stick to Maemo 5 UI on N900.
Note that it would be *nowhere* as zippy on the N900, you might overclock the CPU, but GPU is more sensitive and where you fall flat is the memory - 256 is way, way, way too little for the way the Harmattan UI is meant to be used.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 1,679 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Note that it would be *nowhere* as zippy on the N900, you might overclock the CPU, but GPU is more sensitive and where you fall flat is the memory - 256 is way, way, way too little for the way the Harmattan UI is meant to be used.
Hint: It's a 1 GB of RAM! Not 256MB...

The Following User Says Thank You to Peter@Maemo Marketing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 275 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by Peter@Maemo Marketing View Post
Hint: It's a 1 GB of RAM! Not 256MB...
That's the point attila77 is making.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreatGonzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
i'll go out on a limb here, but maybe that's because i'm a normal user (no developer, no power user -yet, no linux know-it-all)... but i think that this phone is the best that can happen to meego... let me explain: more mass-market appeal = more mass-market reach = more sales volume = more attractiveness to develop the meego ecosystem = more meego devices, including those oriented to developers... result: to prevent what happened to n900 -> one device for power users with no consumer base and therefore a relatively small ecosystem.

...but of course i may be wrong... =P

The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to juanenrique For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post
i'll go out on a limb here, but maybe that's because i'm a normal user (no developer, no power user -yet, no linux know-it-all)... but i think that this phone is the best that can happen to meego... let me explain: more mass-market appeal = more mass-market reach = more sales volume = more attractiveness to develop the meego ecosystem = more meego devices, including those oriented to developers... result: to prevent what happened to n900 -> one device for power users with no consumer base and therefore a relatively small ecosystem.

Yeah, N9 can be the slut girl of the NIT family who runs with the cool guys and put her legs apart to them ... as long as she gets a proper little sister who falls for the red-hair-freckles-glasses-geek-guys

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Posts: 21 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Athens, Greece
Originally Posted by juanenrique View Post

And more apps for N900 if we get meego, or if porting apps from meego is easy...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cruster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ | MAD | MEX | MOW |
Originally Posted by cruster View Post
And more apps for N900 if we get meego, or if porting apps from meego is easy...
...that's the idea of the ecosystem...

Originally Posted by xenkof View Post
Nokia FAILS on hardware again.
CPU is just an up-specked N900 (36xx vs 34xx) still one core.

GPU is the same with N900 PowerVR530. Only thing going is that it has more RAM.

Screen resolution is the same just 3.9" AMOLED.

So, will somebody tell my why this is worth my money instead of sticking to my N900 o/c to 1 GHz?

Also N950 has been announced which is more or less the same, plus keyboard minus AMOLED (Just TFT on same resolution).
Again it's not just a overclocked OMAP3430.
CPU's scale is 45nm on OMAP36xx and 65 on OMAP34xx. Those are totally different cores.

Think more about where you can overclock OMAP36xx rather than thinking how much overclocked OMAP34xx compares to stock OMAP36xx.
For the RAM discussion i would guess it's 512 and rest is swap or?

Though i agree that i would pick the qwerty N950 over N9, but not so much that i would pay much extra for it so i'll be just getting N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:

Tags
disapoint, eflop, epic win!, laggy interface, n9 rox, so much win, wateriswet, who cares, whyyyyy??????