Posts: 33 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Germany
ubuntu latest. After some experience go to debian.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to voancea For This Useful Post:
Posts: 464 | Thanked: 338 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK, Northwest
So, 12.04 then?

See, i'm already sounding like a noob

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Yep 12.04 aka Precise Pangolin
Here's the wiki on Dual Boot

If you want to start using scratchbox, you will probably be better to use Debian eventually.
I have given up trying to get SDK working properly on the latest Ubuntu x64. Will probably install 32-bit Squeeze or Lenny if I get time to do that sort of stuff in the future.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 963 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Connecticut, USA
Look Mint is OK. Quite good in fact. But, I would recommend you try their KDE version. I think KDE is a bit less of a learning curve for a newbie. Much more like Windows.

I have used several Linux distros over the years (over 12 years). I have tried most of the popular desktop environments that exist for it (KDE, Gnome, XFCE, LXDE, OpenBox, and Enlightment, oh and CDE). They all have some advantages. For my personal use I have settled on KDE and, for the moment, OpenSUSE 12.1 with the Tubleweed repositories. Put simply, a repository is a shared URL where your computer gets its updates.

The reason I am using OpenSUSE (Tumbleweed) is because it is very up to date and very stable. For example, I am enjoying currently VLC 2.0.1, digiKam 2.5.0, and KDE 4.8.3. I doubt there is any other distro as up to date, except for the ones that are meant for very advanced users, such as Arch, and Gentoo.

I wrote a brief description of what it takes to install OpenSUSE with Tumbleweed repositories here:

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/2...e-12-1-a-shot/

I think you will find that it is not hard at all. (Ubuntu makes me gag.)

http://temporaryland.wordpress.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to rm42 For This Useful Post:
@ sixwheeledbeast

Thanks for the link, but I was thinking of the easier route (post 27 - LiLi install). As I said I'm just looking for the easiest way to get an intro to Linux and from what I've read this seems to be it - unless maybe you think otherwise?

I have no probs with a dual boot install, had it a while ago with XP/Vista until I got my present Win7.

I see you're near my home city, although I've not lived there for nearly 30 years I do miss it sometimes

Aw fk, now I'm getting confused again!

@ rm42 - what do you think of the LiLi/Ubuntu for simplicity of installation and getting to try it at least for a short while?
Pretty easy to change to another version later on...

Originally Posted by dumpystig View Post
Aw fk, now I'm getting confused again!

@ rm42 - what do you think of the LiLi/Ubuntu for simplicity of installation and getting to try it at least for a short while?
Pretty easy to change to another version later on...
You mentioned earlier that you were familiar with Virtual machines. I recommend that you go that route first. Virtualbox is very easy to use. Then you can go to town trying different distros until you find what you like. Just note, as I mentioned above, that there is a lot more than meets the eye in what makes a Linux distro truly great.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
pendrivelinux may be a good start then.
I was a frustrated windows user, I ran pendrivelinux with maverick/vista for 4 months. When I built a new desktop I completely switched to Ubuntu.

Liverpool, Salford or Machester?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

You can also try most Linux distros by simply using their Live CD version. No need to install any thing.

Right, I'm halfway thro' LiLi/Ubuntu setup. once this is done I'm off to bed, work in the morning.
Thanks for the inputs guys, I'll be back tomorrow, let you know what I think.
Attached Images