Active Topics

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Originally Posted by daperezg View Post
I am seriously thinking in buy BB Classic soon, real unix, screen, keyb and trackpad are strong reasons.
However I have a concern about the Android emulation, as Android have many specific application and I need some of them.

How stable is the system executing android apps?
Performance?

Any information about the emulation will be welcome, because in the official page, they don't tell much about it.
Any android app which does NOT use google services 'should' work..
So anything in amazon store (which is pre installed now) 'should' work with no issues.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
A Visa is also smaller and lighter than a Passport. So, it fuels hopes for a smaller device with square-screen and qwerty-keyboard.

Best wishes.

[Council] Q4 2014 Community Council Election Announcement

http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature <= copy and paste here

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94229

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1450445

http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Having used the Z10 (with 10.2, 10.3 and 10.3.1), I have to say that the Android app support is a little worse than on SailfishOS (and I have seen more people saying that). I have not come across an app that wouldn't work on Jolla (that doesn't mean there aren't such), but on BB10 some apps don't work, some apps require a specific older version (Skype), some break through updates (like our local news app iDnes.cz). Like on Jolla, you can install Google Services on Blackberry 10, but I didn't try it on either one.

That being said, the app support is not bad - even though it sometimes lacks in compatibility, it makes up for it by additional features: when you install an Android app, the .apk is checked against BB server for known malware (probably by comparing the checksum of the .apk).
You can also set different notifications for different Android apps, which is quite useful.

I would disagree about the virtual keyboard - it is indeed nice, but it seriously lacks tactile feedback. You need to constantly look on the screen to know if you pressed the right (or any) key. If it had tactile feedback, it would indeed be among top keyboards on the market.
This obviously won't apply to BB Classic

Another problem with Z10 is the battery, but it should be much better on the (bigger) Z30.

The system overall is very powerful, but I would like to see some serious design changes for better usability. Current problems include:
  • three menus in an app - one behind an icon in the right bottom corner, one behind an icon in the left bottom corner and a 'swipe down menu' - it is often unclear where to search for an option
  • there's a 'swipe down' menu in some apps, but with no indication whatsoever. it's a hit and miss thing
  • "drag the page to go back" works in 90% of cases, but on those 10%, is looks like the developers just forgot to implement it (like in some settings in the Hub)

I'm sure I forgot about many other things and there are of course many very nice things:
  • menus either don't start from the top or can be dragged down, so you don't have to stretch your hand
  • advanced interaction options (like the phone waking up when picked up from a desk)
  • detailed notification settings (with customizable LED colors in 10.3.1)

I remember a blog post from a Maemo/MeeGo community member when BB10 came out that summarized all the design nonsense quite well (comparing it to Harmattan), but I can't find it anymore.

EDIT:
One interesting thing about BB10 is the Peak gesture, to quickly open the Hub from any app. While I learned to use it almost instantly, regular phone users just can't get the grip (and therefore don't use at all) even after weeks of having the phone. At least in my experience.

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-12-16 at 22:43.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
A Visa is also a means by which you travel somewhere.
An off-topic nit pick: no, it isn't. An aeroplane, a ship, a car, a bus, a train, a bike, a hot air balloon, a horse, a pair of boots... those are means of travel.

A visa and/or a passport are travel documents.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
An off-topic nit pick: no, it isn't. An aeroplane, a ship, a car, a bus, a train, a bike, a hot air balloon, a horse, a pair of boots... those are means of travel.

A visa and/or a passport are travel documents.
Duly noted.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
nice looking phone!
Shame the passport didn't get that keyboard.

The Following User Says Thank You to bingomion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Here are the photographs of BlackBerry Passport, inside and outside:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=L6ARGY180LW
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repor...id=L6ARGY180LW

Different applications for different frequencies, if I understand FCC correctly.

Best wishes.

P.S. I'm thinking about combining a hybrid out of BlackBerry Passport and OpenMoko. Like, resistive-touchscreen, capacitive-keyboard... It all depends on connect-ability of parts. Like, would GTA02 or GTA04 board have connectors for external keyboard, especially capacitive one? For camera - 12MPx or 13MPx or just plain old 5MPx? And so on. And, I hate soldering.

I could even try to combine resistive touchscreen (made for OpenMoko or N900) with LCD panel of BlackBerry. Depends on sizes and connect-ability of parts.

Just giving ideas for Franken phone. Franken... Oh, that's a lucky name. :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 131 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Spain
thnx jokerus, your feedback is a big reason to buy the classic in next months..

In Android I was very disappointed about the security and OS administration, in fact I felt a completely lack of control of how or what the apps are doing.
And rooting android, depending of the device and firmware many times is almost impossible.

What about BB10, Is it possible to control apps? stop autostarts? store apps in SD? Is easy to root BB10 and use bash/terminal?

and what about having root in the android runtime environment? ( i don't need it but it is interesting as proof of concept)

Originally Posted by jokerus View Post
I have a Z30 I have installed 30 android applications and ALL work perfectly, all fit the screen (5 inches).
What most impressed me is its battery and fluidity with which it handles, no lag, the best browser on a mobile phone supports flash and super fast, true multitasking
The best keyboard in the industry, after the N9 their UI is the best, believe me you will not regret. I recommend a phone with big screen (personal taste), you will not have problems with android applications, the BlackBerry Classic come with the 10.3 update that resolves problems with fit screen android apps.
BlackBerry 10 is better than Windows Phone 8

The Following User Says Thank You to daperezg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by daperezg View Post
thnx jokerus, your feedback is a big reason to buy the classic in next months..

In Android I was very disappointed about the security and OS administration, in fact I felt a completely lack of control of how or what the apps are doing.
And rooting android, depending of the device and firmware many times is almost impossible.

What about BB10, Is it possible to control apps? stop autostarts? store apps in SD? Is easy to root BB10 and use bash/terminal?

and what about having root in the android runtime environment? ( i don't need it but it is interesting as proof of concept)

You can control apps. Get them to the SD card, allow different things the apps want to do like get access to you phone information or Pictures, Media etc etc.

I dont think you acn root it and use bash on it... at least I have never seen it. That would be awesome btw

The Following User Says Thank You to schokopudding For This Useful Post:

Tags
blackberry, blackberryvisa