Using the Near Me plugin, for the Firefox browser, finds me almost instantaneously.

Yes. I do have the same problem.

I don't have data connection so I unchecked the Network Positioning (and A-GPS).

Also when you start the MAPS application, it straight away connects to maps.ovi.com before actually starting the GPS.

Also it won't show the location you are at present unless you ask for directions. And that it starts from the previous location you set or used the GPS last time.

It needs some fix. I also tried changing it to supl.google.com. I don't see any added benefit.

I am having problems with my phone. My GPS does not locate my position. I'm trying to figure out what might be the problem. I don't know if the problem is about the OVI maps or the hardware.
BTW I got the device from Amazon, and I live in FLorida. I guess this is not a fake Chinese stuff and there is GPS satellites serving in the state.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
there isno problem with you GPS. mine is in the same situation. why? because the software OVI map cannot search for satellites long enough and it's gave up too early to get the GPS locked without network connection. if you connect to the internet through wifi or 3g then walk outside then it will licked in just 15seconds. Otherwise just download LOCATION TEST application from the repos then run it, let it search for satellites and when it found just fire up your map application and wait until it's locked on. This may take some what between 20 minutes to 1hour long. But it work! after you have it connected, you can reconnect almost instantly afterward. Goodluck!

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
maximus are you saying that the n900 gps can only get a lock when connected to the internet and without it, it takes around 15 minutes to 1 hour without it. is this standard for all gps phones or are there better options out there?

I also thought that my GPS was broken or something, 'cause it would never catch up with the satellite signal. But reading this 3d, I noticed that the "network based positioning" was disabled. When I enabled it, worked just amazingly...it gained the signal in 1 sec I think. And it worked offline. I just downloaded the all the maps I needed from the nokia map loader. It take some time, but works perfectly. Since now I feel very lucky, 'cause everything works the way it should on my N900. Even after the update, it' the best device I've ever had...way better than the iphone...

Originally Posted by skatebkp View Post
maximus are you saying that the n900 gps can only get a lock when connected to the internet and without it, it takes around 15 minutes to 1 hour without it. is this standard for all gps phones or are there better options out there?
The longest my N900 has taken for a lock without an internet connection is around 5 minutes. And that's pretty standard for phone-based GPS systems from what I understand as they are designed with the assumption that a data connection will usually be available (and thus don't have internal satellite ephemeral data like a "normal" stand-alone gps would).

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
you think the gps on this is better than the iphones- well then you have never had one then - thats for sure..

the n900 is better at many things- but gps is not one of them.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
you think the gps on this is better than the iphones- well then you have never had one then - thats for sure..

the n900 is better at many things- but gps is not one of them.
Are you talking about GPS chip or what? Because Maep gets lock really fast at least for me. As we all know the Nokia Maemo Maps seems to be under heavy development and not ready for consumers. Or actually it is good if you have never ever used/seen other navigation software

Posts: 154 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Lima-Perú
Originally Posted by N3ro View Post
I also thought that my GPS was broken or something, 'cause it would never catch up with the satellite signal. But reading this 3d, I noticed that the "network based positioning" was disabled. When I enabled it, worked just amazingly...it gained the signal in 1 sec I think. And it worked offline. I just downloaded the all the maps I needed from the nokia map loader. It take some time, but works perfectly. Since now I feel very lucky, 'cause everything works the way it should on my N900. Even after the update, it' the best device I've ever had...way better than the iphone...
How to download the maps and upload them to N900?? where to start ploxxxx

Tags
lack of quality control