Originally Posted by Sheon View Post

see WTF -_-

as u can see im not bullshittng at all i dont know why 3G works downtown and not at home -_-

its still slow tho but its on 3G so im lost
You missed the screen shot with the actual results. It should appear after all the tests and show the download/upload/ping speeds

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Just wondering if you have discovered AT&T's LTE trial network and if that is "falling back" to 3G/3.5G to support legacy handsets. If I recall correctly AT&T is planning to roll out their LTE network using 1700/2100MHz bands.

That would explain it...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mara For This Useful Post:
it still seems slow but whatever lol -_-

Last edited by Sheon; 2010-01-19 at 23:23.

so now im back home and its back to 2.5 -_- i guess its only downtown it works

oh well ill stick to my t mobile sim card for now maybe someone can make a hack to force 3G or i have something in my area that makes 3G work i dont know

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Connecticut
Ye weird things like this happen. Like my sister who bought an HTC (forgot the model) in Taiwan which only supports Asian's 3G frequency.
After updating her WinMo firmware, she could see AT&T 3G, but technically the phone doesn't support either the American AT&T or T-Mo 3G. The speed was slow though, like Edge. When I inserted my T-Mo card, it didn't show 3G at all even though my N900 has been getting it.

I suspect it's something to do with AT&T's weird network.

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Just wondering if you have discovered AT&T's LTE trial network and if that is "falling back" to 3G/3.5G to support legacy handsets. If I recall correctly AT&T is planning to roll out their LTE network using 1700/2100MHz bands.

That would explain it...
This is one real good point.. I just looked up the 4G band@ wikipedia and 4G does come under the 1700 band.

Donno if it really is "falling back" to 3G but from what i read 4G is an extension to 3G so it *might* be possible.
Still not getting my hopes up any, lets see if multiple users can see the same effect.

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
In Canada, the heavyweight, Rogers also runs on the same bands as ATT. In a recent spectrumj auction the 1700/2100 bands were bought by them plus some new entrants. Wind is one of them, and many canadians are eager to switch. However, Rogers has done nothing with the new spectrum....waiting to use them for LTE as well. If Mara is correct, we'll start to see Rogers LTE network as well, and that will rock for us N900ers!

Originally Posted by depu View Post
This is one real good point.. I just looked up the 4G band@ wikipedia and 4G does come under the 1700 band.

Donno if it really is "falling back" to 3G but from what i read 4G is an extension to 3G so it *might* be possible.
Still not getting my hopes up any, lets see if multiple users can see the same effect.
That's awsome...you give this guy "kudos" but give me "krap" for saying the same thing at the start of this thread.

:P

Originally Posted by depu View Post

Yes, I suppose that is a possibility. At&t does own some AWS band real estate in Nevada over which they might be piloting their LTE gear (which is indeed backwards compatible with HSPA if i recall correctly). Certainly doesn't help anyone who is in a "traditional" 850/1900 at&t market where at&t doesn't own AWS spectrum (eastern half of the country).

http://www.cellularmaps.com/aws_auction.shtml

If this is indeed legit, my apologies to the OP for calling him a web troll.

Last edited by texaslabrat; 2010-01-20 at 00:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
i am nearby.

i have 3g turned of fon my phone. i have had a helluva time connecting to the 2g network in reno automatically. yesterday ia did a manual network search and two entries for 'AT&T 2G' came up.

Originally Posted by Laughingstok View Post
Then we need other N900 users in Reno, Nevada to verify this.