Active Topics

Hi

I'm brand new to the forum and seriously considering buying a Nokia 810.

I want to do the following:

1) Full internet browsing experience with the ability to sign on to secure accounts such as stock market trading, banking etc

2) Be able to take the machine anywhere and have this internet facility as well as check my email

3) Will be nice to upload photos from my digital camera and store/replay them.

4) The same for video as well. Would like to replay some documentaries/tv shows on my travels

5) Instant messaging would be great as well.

6) I know it has a GPS, but can I download maps for anywhere in the world for it?

7) Might be fun for some games as well

8) Storing notes as I wander around

9) Would be useful to have some kind of spreadsheet facility.

10) PDF/ebook reader

11) RSS reader

I was considering the iphone 3G but I live in Dubai and it might be a while before we get it here.

I want it to supplement my laptop. Don't need PIM functions as such because I will have that in my mobile phone synced to my laptop.

Anyway can anyone confirm that it will do all of these or at least the majority? a simple yes/no will do. When I buy one if will find out the how.

Many Thanks

pchees

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Yes it will do all of them.

Coming to maps.... not all countries are supported. But most of them are.

You will need a bluetooth mobile phone to get internet access away from WiFi hotspots or your home wireless router. Data inclusive plan best for this with your mobile phone network provider. Everything else OK (part from the worldwide maps as above)

Hi

Thanks very much for your answers.

Will be buying one this weekend!!!!

pchees

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
A little late of an answer, but with MaemoMaps you can get maps for anywhere in the world that Google Maps, Yahoo Maps, or Microsoft Virtual Earth has coverage

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

I agree with josiahg777. Cingular's 3G network in LA is kind of crappy so I really having Maemo Mapper predownload maps that work with GPS. The only downside is not being able to get directions, but GPS is more of a toy than a useful tool to me so it doesn't matter much

You might want to read about some of the complaints about the browser, etc. In general, the complaints about any app for the n810 are the same: It exists and it usually works, but it's not as sleek and sexy as it is on the iPhone, but occasionally there are problems that stop them from working at all.

If you have any questions before you buy, most of the apps are open source and you can run them with the SDK to see what it's like (kind of).

For me, it works perfectly and it relieves the geekiness because it's pretty open for a mobile device.

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
MaemoMapper will download and give turn by turn directions (and even read them out loud if you have flite installed)

I use it all the time to get to new places i haven't been before so i can be on time

Warning: dates on calendar are closer than they appear.

My unit arrived today. Looks fantastic. Think I will have a lot of fun with this baby.

Am now updating the software to Diablo.

Then I will have a play and explore what's out there.

Thanks

pchees

Hi

I've had a chance to play with my new toy for a day and am generally very impressed.

In terms of the hardware, I am happy, although it seems to rattle a bit which I think is the desk stand.

I had updated the firmware to Diablo immediately upon charging. I guess this update is new as there doesn't seem to be many 3rd party apps compatible with it.

Or am I missing something?

I noticed on maemo.org that there are of course many apps to download but are they compatible with Diablo?

I have bonded the machine with a Sony Ericcson P990 and I can browse the internet well. I had the same issues with other people on this forum with my wireless lan (which is a siemens box provided by my internet provider). I had to turn off all the power savings.

I tried the GPS this morning in my car with the Middle East maps and that seems to work well.

Is there anyway of showing the satellite image with the map as a hybrid or even on its own?

I have to say that the car holder completely bemuses me... can't work out which screw goes in where. I feel a little stupid but if anyone has a set of assembly instructions ..... :-)

To summarise I love the new device. it is exactly as I wanted in terms of screen size etc.

Best wishes

pchees

Hi

Well managed to get Skype working on the N810 beautifully. This is quite odd because in Dubai, Skype is blocked. I have to use a proxy bypass to use it on my laptop.

Anyway works perfectly so that's good.

One thing I don't understand.

I plugged the earphone/microphone into the N810 went I made a call but the sounds were still coming out of the built in speakers?

Anyone know why?

I have downloaded lots of apps and having fun playing.

Thanks

pchees