Yes, but I'm saying the new one is like the OS2008 one, except (...)
Those are not contrasts to the old one.

And the OS2008 was broken various ways, including failure to close the window when the shell quits.

I don't like the tabs; eat too much screen space. I also don't like the vertical sidebar. (Now that I have rotation; it takes up almost half my screen! )

I had to go "red pill" or nothing would install (couldn't even see the vera font).
is this normal ?...

In the old version, the ready made control-something combos don't work (Ctrl-D, Ctrl-C),
only toggling the Ctrl button then hitting a key. This is not like the 2007 xterm...

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Which version did you install? The one with '13' in the number is like 2007 (as far as I know). You can add CTRL+<key> combo through a setting dialog.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Detroit, MI
Excellent. I prefer the old one.

Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
Which version did you install? The one with '13' in the number is like 2007 (as far as I know). You can add CTRL+<key> combo through a setting dialog.
Yes, that's the one I installed. The dialog is still there, and the sidebar has Ctrl-D as a preset, but it doesn't do anything. I tried adding Ctrl-C myself, and it appears, but doesn't work either.

It looks as if the new "sticky" nature of the Control button has disabled these combos... am I the only one ?

(no one else reported having to use Red pill mode to install either, but I had to, as the first .deb reported "incompatible application"...)

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Herndon, VA, USA
All of the packages report incompatible application package for me as well, I'm running 2.2007.50-2 (OS2008).

Originally Posted by fiferboy View Post
For anyone who wants to try out this version of xterm.

You need (or at least I did) to install ttf-bitstream-vera first (which was available for me through the application manager).

The debs can be found at the following website (since one of the files is 200K bigger than this forums attachment limit):

http://andrew.olmsted.ca/maemo/osso-xterm

Next download and install the debs in the following order: libvte-common, libvte4, osso-xterm
Great! One problem remains: input of <Ctrl><non-alphabetic-char> does not work, ie., Ctrl-a works, but not Ctrl-\. The last time I recall this working correctly was under IT OS 2007 version 4.2007.26-8... do you have any insight if it is a problem in the Osso-Xterm code?

-- Denis

Posts: 475 | Thanked: 771 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Dennis,

I really don't know anything about the code, but it is likely something that can be fixed in the source. Try filing a bug on the garage page:

https://garage.maemo.org/projects/osso-xterm

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Central Ohio
I feel compelled to note that if, like me, you're one of those types who doesn't want the toolbar *at all*, the "new version" here has fixed the toolbar persistence bug (you turn it off, and now it STAYS off).

I am therefore happy.

I installed the new version, and put this is my .ashrc, which itself gets invoked by .profile:

gconftool-2 -s /apps/osso/xterm/scrollbar -t bool false

This gets rid of the scrollbar once and for all.

Nice for fullscreen emacs in the terminal.

Ulysses