Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by lbattraw
The key to successful charging is current limiting. The reason batteries cause it to barf is because they can put out a ton of current as the 770 essentially connects them directly to the Li-ion battery in pulses. It measures that current going in and too much will force it to stop to avoid destroying things. You need something like a resistor to limit the current. The problem with a resistor is you automatically turn part of your power into heat, and to charge it in a reasonable amount of time you need a fair amount of current, thus producing a lot of heat (For 6V alkalines).
Off hand I seem to recall the voltage it drops to when pulsing is about 4.2V; 6 - 4.2V = 1.8V of difference. Assume you use a 4.7 ohm resistor, 1.8/4.7 = .382 amps, for about .69 watts. That's a fair amount of heat for a resistor in an enclosed space. Assuming your batteries were immortal and stayed at 6V the whole time it's going to take roughly 4.3 hours for a full charge (Assuming a 91% charging efficiency). If you wanted to be clever you could use a 3V flashlight bulb as a resistor, and then watch the pulsing current draw.
Questions? Standard disclaimer applies: Don't Try This at Home. May turn your 770 into a pool of smoldering magma, explode, or sterilize you at a distance of 50 feet. Please don't play around with this unless you're willing to chance ruining your 770!!!

Larry
You know, I actually understood some of those words.

So, if I used an emergency charger that only takes 3 AAAs (4.5 volts), It 'd charge Nokillo better?

For that guy who bought the extra batteries -- just one would, it seems to me, give you eight(!) hours online. Have you done that?

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens
You know, I actually understood some of those words.

So, if I used an emergency charger that only takes 3 AAAs (4.5 volts), It 'd charge Nokillo better?
I would still be a little concerned about too much current... I'm unsure of the internal resistance presented by the charging circuitry and battery. It may be a very fine line between not enough and too much. I tried using a 5V source and had a terrible time getting it to work. I would just suggest going the 4 AA (or AAA) route with a 3V (or 2.5V) flashlight bulb in series (i.e. cut one of the power wires and attach either end to the bulb).

I actually tried that today with 4 AA NiMH batteries and it seems to work fine. No idea how long it will take to complete a charge but it seems to be blinking along happily. It goes from roughly 5.2V to 4.1V each time it pulses and should be drawing about 400 mA per pulse. The bulb is essentially a constant-current regulator so selecting a bulb rated at .5A (500 mA) or less is probably wise. It should be stamped on the bulb or specified on the package if you were to go to Walmart or some place.

Larry

Originally Posted by Mike Cane
For that guy who bought the extra batteries -- just one would, it seems to me, give you eight(!) hours online. Have you done that?
Not really. I'm not sure where the eight hour figure comes from but I don't think I get anywhere close to that. Worst-case is where you're listening to a streaming radio station; I can just get away with listening to a one-hour show that way before it complains about a low battery. Normal web browsing seems to weigh in at a few hours.

Larry

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by lbattraw
I would still be a little concerned about too much current... I'm unsure of the internal resistance presented by the charging circuitry and battery. It may be a very fine line between not enough and too much. I tried using a 5V source and had a terrible time getting it to work. I would just suggest going the 4 AA (or AAA) route with a 3V (or 2.5V) flashlight bulb in series (i.e. cut one of the power wires and attach either end to the bulb).

I actually tried that today with 4 AA NiMH batteries and it seems to work fine. No idea how long it will take to complete a charge but it seems to be blinking along happily. It goes from roughly 5.2V to 4.1V each time it pulses and should be drawing about 400 mA per pulse. The bulb is essentially a constant-current regulator so selecting a bulb rated at .5A (500 mA) or less is probably wise. It should be stamped on the bulb or specified on the package if you were to go to Walmart or some place.

Larry
I'm not hopping on an intercontinental flight to buy a bulb at Walmart!

But I'm going to try your idea out. I was thinking of making an extension cord to the charger anyway, so I can tuck it under the 770 (it's now one of those straight plug-in thingies, which means I can't use Nokillo when it's charging from the emergency charger). If the flashbulb works, I might replace it with a resistor on the outside of the box (on the extension cord), to avoid nuclear meltdown.

I keep my backlight on setting 2 and can get just about 4 hours WiFi. I don't stream radio, so maybe that eats electrons faster. A 2nd battery would mean ~8 hours of WiFi for me, hence that number.

Energizer has recently released "Energizer Energi To Go Cell Phone Charger for Most Nokia Phones" in the US. I'm not sure if they are actually available yet (Best Buy lists them back ordered for $19.99). It has two lithium AA bateries in a small device with "intelligent power management". Has anyone tried this with a 770?

Originally Posted by wallcraf
Energizer has recently released "Energizer Energi To Go Cell Phone Charger for Most Nokia Phones" in the US. I'm not sure if they are actually available yet (Best Buy lists them back ordered for $19.99). It has two lithium AA bateries in a small device with "intelligent power management". Has anyone tried this with a 770?
Nope, but sounds interesting. I note that the lithium AA's are recommended and not mandatory. I would be tempted to use NiMH rechargeables instead. The most interesting thing about this unit is that it presumably includes voltage conversion circuitry to increase the voltage (3 - 3.6V) that two alkalines or lithium AAs would put out. Combine that with current-limiting for Nokia devices and you've got a winner! May have to pick one up and report back on it.

Larry

P.S Forgot to mention that you'd need around 5 volts to actually charge a phone or 770 successfully, hence the need for voltage conversion.

Last edited by lbattraw; 2006-10-05 at 22:40. Reason: Forgot to mention voltage conversion

Hey guys, sorry for digging up such an "old" thread. But I did some testing with the 770 and its charger to get to know how I could make up a possibility to charge it on the go with 6 AAA (micro) batteries...

So I plugged the original charger into the 770 and measured how far the voltage drops with the 770 charging.

The open circuit voltage of the charger is about 6,5V! When it is connected to the 770, it drops to ~4,3V +-0,2V.

So my first attempt was to use a standard 7805 1A voltage regulator with a protection diode and the suiting caps added... I put in 12V from a computer supply. All the Nokia said was "battery NOT charging!" I unplugged the 770 and tried to use a 9V battery for the input voltage.

It now shows "Battery is charging!". Works flawlessly with 6 AAA batteries. The voltage regulator can be any 78xx type, I used a low drop type.

EDIT: The chargerīs got a charging current of 890mAh. There are possibilities to limit the current of those voltage regulators, too. But I think the charging curcuit is inside of the 770. Itīll stop charging the battery when it is fully charged.

Last edited by 770gerd; 2006-12-22 at 20:10.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Here is what I want...

The Solio charger:

It weighs about 6oz, gets a charge from the sun or from AC power which it holds in a battery for up to 6 months, and it uses tips to charge any small device from the battery.

It folds out like a fan and can by suction-cupped to a plane window.