That (very expensive btw) unit is a combination from all those ideas that came up here already...

I wonder if that device uses a step-up voltage converter, because the battery it uses (a quite similar battery comp. to the 770īs!) is rated @ 3.6V but the output is rated at 4-12V.

This could be realised, but not the easy way. At least not if you want to add all those features like solar cell charging and so on.

There will be easier ways...

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
What about this? Works with Nokia phones so should work with the 770...

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by Milhouse
What about this? Works with Nokia phones so should work with the 770...
Neither the Nokia 7710 or the 9500 Communicator (which both take the BP-5L battery the 770 uses) are mentioned in the compatibility chart.

This does not bode well...

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
But there is N6021 listed. I currently use its charger with the Nokia adapter CA44 to recharge both N6021 and N770, and it works. Perhaps it's enough to have that adapter to let that recharge4 work

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
I've charged a Nokia 6111 phone with 770 charger and vice versa, so I reckon any charger designed to work with any Nokia phone using the "new" (last 18 months?) small adapter (2mm?) will work fine with the 770 as I assume (bad thing to do I know) that Nokia attempt to share accessories/chargers between different devices where possible.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2006-12-24 at 20:08.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
There is a difference between charging from AC and from DC, as "lbattraw" pointed out to me earlier in this thread.

I've used several AC chargers successfully with the 770, but thusfar only one battery charger, the one for my Archos 430, with -- limited -- success (it will charge the 770, but not to full capacity).

As I have only the one, I haven't amassed the courage to rip it apart yet, so I can't tell you why the Archos battery charger works, nor why it only works partially).

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Las Vegas, NV
[QUOTE=lbattraw]The key to successful charging is current limiting.

I built a little USB battery box for my Wife's Palm pilot (she's just gotta have her music at work) and it charges very well without causing a lap-top style molten mess. I'm guessing here, but I believe that this is because the voltage regulator I coupled to the output is actually a wattage regulator and seeks to maintain a stable current/voltage curve while discharging the batteries into the palm-pilot's lithium-ion battery. Seems that by SWAG, the 770 would charge well with steady-state 5VDC, but I left the hardware world in the 90s. Would a 6 volt regulator @ about 500 mils be better? That means I need to buy another can of licorice Altoids and 8 triple-A batteries...................

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
I have one of these battery packs from Socket:

http://www.socketcom.com/product/power.asp

This thing works great, and it has all the necessary adapters included for the most popular devices (iPod, Treo, PSP, Nokia, etc.) The Nokia barrel that is included is the older, larger size, so you would need to get one of the adapters to go down to the new, small tip. I don't have one of these, so I haven't been able to try it with my 770, but it *will* work with the right tip. It also comes with a "step-up" 6.0V adapter for certain Nokia phones, so it will do 5.0V on most everything, or 6.0V if you need it to.

I use it in conjunction with a USB->Mini-USB cable to charge a bunch of stuff I have. I can basically fully-charge all of my devices off of one full battery. This includes an iPod photo, Treo 700wx, BT headset, PPC-6700, and 770 (if I had the right tip). There is even some power left the times I have recharged all the devices. 7200mAh, so it's a pretty decent size, and the battery is in a nice leather case with a belt clip. It has indicator lights during charging, and when it starts to get low, plus a switch to disconnect the battery and turn it off.

I got this about 6 months ago at Fry's for around $70 or so...pretty good deal for what it does, it's saved me a bunch of times, plus much easier to carry around than all the assorted AC chargers...

Originally Posted by orbitalcomp
I have one of these battery packs from Socket:

http://www.socketcom.com/product/power.asp

This thing works great, and it has all the necessary adapters included for the most popular devices (iPod, Treo, PSP, Nokia, etc.) The Nokia barrel that is included is the older, larger size, so you would need to get one of the adapters to go down to the new, small tip. I don't have one of these, so I haven't been able to try it with my 770, but it *will* work with the right tip. It also comes with a "step-up" 6.0V adapter for certain Nokia phones, so it will do 5.0V on most everything, or 6.0V if you need it to.

I use it in conjunction with a USB->Mini-USB cable to charge a bunch of stuff I have. I can basically fully-charge all of my devices off of one full battery. This includes an iPod photo, Treo 700wx, BT headset, PPC-6700, and 770 (if I had the right tip). There is even some power left the times I have recharged all the devices. 7200mAh, so it's a pretty decent size, and the battery is in a nice leather case with a belt clip. It has indicator lights during charging, and when it starts to get low, plus a switch to disconnect the battery and turn it off.

I got this about 6 months ago at Fry's for around $70 or so...pretty good deal for what it does, it's saved me a bunch of times, plus much easier to carry around than all the assorted AC chargers...
I wonder if the stated 1.8 amps output might not be a downer for the 770.

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Texas
I'm not sure, is this more or less than the 770 can handle?...I've been tempted to order me one of those large-to-small tip converters for the Nokia power adapters and see if the Socket will work...

Could it have some type of regulated power system in it? Because everything I have tried works perfectly so far, even a Samsung digital camera that charges via USB.

One other item - Kyocera sells an EVDO wireless router that lets you plug in a data PC Card or EVDO phone via USB and have your own portable 802.11 router...on their own site, they promote this Socket battery pack as able to power the router with the use of a special cable, which I thought was kind of neat. It must mean that the battery pack can somehow regulate itself, because I'm sure a router takes much more power than an iPod or 770...

Here is the link to the router and the cable adapter:

http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr1-...ccessories.htm

http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/pr...nt_name=KWCWEB