Like some others, it seems, I have a hard time finding things in the new Fremantle UI that I knew how to in previous Maemo versions (options hidden off-screen with no indication that one should scroll, etc.).

In particular, I've been looking for a way to set an inactivity time-out for Wifi connections, which has been present ever since OS2005 on the 770, but I can't find it.

Is it really gone, or just well hidden, or me really dumb today ? :-)

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
I miss a timeout for 3G connection as well. On my old Nokia, the device would connect, sync mail, and then disconnect again. On the N900 it just stays connected forever and, probably, draining the battery.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
noone cares about these problems.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6627
:-(

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Like some others, it seems, I have a hard time finding things in the new Fremantle UI that I knew how to in previous Maemo versions (options hidden off-screen with no indication that one should scroll, etc.).

In particular, I've been looking for a way to set an inactivity time-out for Wifi connections, which has been present ever since OS2005 on the 770, but I can't find it.

Is it really gone, or just well hidden, or me really dumb today ? :-)
If you are concerned with power saving its not done like that anymore. there is an advanced button in the connections wizard that lets you set the aggressiveness of the power savings. There are three levels to choose.
note in max power savings mode on wifi there is a dependancy on your router supporting power saving mode, or you will get occasional stuck page loads cause the router does not know how to maintain connections to devices that drop thier connections. This was the case even in Diablo.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
If you are concerned with power saving its not done like that anymore. there is an advanced button in the connections wizard that lets you set the aggressiveness of the power savings. There are three levels to choose.
note in max power savings mode on wifi there is a dependancy on your router supporting power saving mode, or you will get occasional stuck page loads cause the router does not know how to maintain connections to devices that drop thier connections. This was the case even in Diablo.
That case is just failed, who need it? Me not! That is not power saving!

Thanks for the answers. This is really silly.

There actually was a previous bug filed on this, with a better description IMHO.
https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5422

I just voted for it and added this :
(In reply to comment #6)
> In fremantle the system is meant to be always online so no official idletimer
> support.

Sorry, but as a longtime Maemo user I find this a pretty stupid decision.

Even if a system "is meant to be always online", users should be the ones to decide how they want to use their system, and they should have a choice.

This functionality (with the UI to set it !) has been present in all versions of Maemo since OS2005 on the 770... how hard could it be to keep it in Fremantle ?

Maximum power saving doesn't work for everybody, my Wifi AP doesn't support it and freezes connections every few minute. Battery life on the N900 is short enough as it is, compared to previous tablets, I'd really like to stay in control of when it connects and for how long...

Please bring it back !

TIA,
fpp