Closed Thread
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Are you sure about that? I see nothing in the code that implements this. Or anything like this in the changelogs:

http://maemo.gitorious.org/fremantle...commits/master
From looking at the manual (pg 115), it seems this is in App Manager, not the launcher.

Page 100
Plan routes
You can create walking or driving routes, view them on the
map, and get turn-by-turn directions

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Poland
Originally Posted by cristids View Post
Page 100
Plan routes
You can create walking or driving routes, view them on the
map, and get turn-by-turn directions
Turn-by-turn directions are already there, it is the list you get when the route is calculated. Turn-by-turn voice navigation and automatic re-routing is what you should be looking for...but it's not there!

IMHO in PR1.2 OVI Maps won't improve much, if at all.
But believe me - I want to be mistaken

Last edited by stantheboss; 2010-03-19 at 14:59.

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by stantheboss View Post
Turn-by-turn voice navigation and automatic re-routing is what you should be looking for...but it's not there!
For me the most important feature that is missing from the ovi maps is that I can't search for an address if I'm not connected on the internet. The weird thing is that all the addresses are on the tablet already, in the map database... I don't understand what was so hard for the developers to make a search option...
Voice navigation, automatic re-routing would be nice, but is no use if you can't search for an address without internet (I don't have a data plan on my cell phone).

<rant>
I'll say it again, what is the use of brainstorm if Nokia doesn't give a .... about what we want? All this "Community Council Election" and "Candidates Debate" seems like kids playing when you realize that they don't have any kind of power. What is this "Community Council Election" good for? Would the "Elected Officials" give us better Ovi Maps (or anything else)? If not, what is it for?
</rant>

Last edited by ioan; 2010-03-19 at 16:30. Reason: rant

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
but is no use if you can't search for an address without internet (I don't have a data plan on my cell phone).
I haven't managed it to search for a Adress. (Germany)
For me it is only possible to search for a City. (and then search the street with your eyes on the map)

Searching for a Restaurant in the City you are at the moment is totally impossible! I haven't found it.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Originally Posted by ioan View Post
For me the most important feature that is missing from the ovi maps is that I can't search for an address if I'm not connected on the internet. The weird thing is that all the addresses are on the tablet already, in the map database... I don't understand what was so hard for the developers to make a search option...
From a leaked PR1.2 User Guide:

Page 99 -

"Tip: To avoid data transfer costs, you can also use Maps
without an internet connection, and browse the maps that
are saved in your device or memory card."

The main problem is the lack of margin of error of the search engine. If you don't know the name of what you are looking for exactly, you're lost.

The data is definitely here, but the search engine just sucks.

Cheers

Posts: 481 | Thanked: 190 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Salem, OR
Originally Posted by egoshin View Post
From a leaked PR1.2 User Guide:

Page 99 -

"Tip: To avoid data transfer costs, you can also use Maps
without an internet connection, and browse the maps that
are saved in your device or memory card."
This was available for a long time, you can browse the maps (move around, find streets with you eyes), but you can't search for a location.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Rugoz View Post
The main problem is the lack of margin of error of the search engine. If you don't know the name of what you are looking for exactly, you're lost.

The data is definitely here, but the search engine just sucks.

Cheers
I agree, it is notoriously bad at handling intersections as well.

Originally Posted by whaleyboy View Post
Has there been any official word on why the UK was skipped when the last firmware update got released? I'd rather not have to reflash with the worldwide fw but seems like Nokia have left us brits behind. If they do the same for thr PR1.2 update they will have a lot of annoyed customers over here!
Just use the Global version its fine. Trust me. That is what I am using. I don't really see any point in region specific firmwares unless it is something really specific for that region that would require it.

Closed Thread

Tags
avoid thread, fictional update, firmware, fremantle, future, goodwin's law, it will be on 12.21.2012, maemo, maemo 5, may be it's a myth?, may be next week, maybe april fools, maybe not, patience is a virtue, patience wastes your life, post generator, pr 1.2, pr1.2, product release, repost, rerun, rick roll'd, speculation, update, worst thread ever