Posts: 37 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
It still won't work here. I remove and reinstall the DUN package, and the service appears. But after the first failed attempt to connect, the bluetooth dialup service disappears from the device (as seen from my Windows Vista laptop). Any ideas?

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Got it working now. Removed and reinstalled the package again (seems inconvenient), and changed the dialup number from *99***3# to *99#. Then it finally connected. Strange though, that the N900 claims not to be connected to the internet :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to larsoy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
A what? Google provided no hints to what a "Fernster" is...
I meant "Fenster", of course... My German is rusty.

Ich weiß nicht was soll es bedeuten, daß ich so traurig bin...

Last edited by fpp; 2009-12-22 at 19:30.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by fpp View Post
Ich weiβ nicht was soll es bedeuten, daβ ich so traurig bin...
Hahaha, so I got my biggest laugh of the day using Google Translate on that. Somehow, spammers have used the "contribute a better translation" feature of Google Translate to corrupt their dictionary. It took me a while to figure out which word was causing the strange effect, but I found it:

Do you see frequent hangups causing you to have to reconnect every 10 minutes or so? I haven't installed the package that enables DUN yet, but just set up the connection using the command line (with rfcomm in a while loop) so maybe that's part of it.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by qole View Post
It took me a while to figure out which word was causing the strange effect, but I found it:
lol that's weird...

it probably comes from the fact that fpp used the sign for "beta" (html #946 β) instead of the correct "sharp s" (ß, #223), which, in this case, is wrong anyways. in the new german orthography, "daß" is always written as "dass", unless its an article.

when you try to translate this:
"Ich weiß nicht was soll es bedeuten, daß ich so traurig bin..."
it comes out a bit better.

but it's still not proper german, it sounds quite weird. i'm not even sure what he wants to say

and sorry for offtopic

It is the first verse of Heinrich Heine's "Die Lorelei", a German classic :
http://chrsouchon.free.fr/galiana/lorelei3.htm

So no, it is not modern German, and yes, it was written like that when I learnt it by heart 35 years ago :-)

You're right about the "sharp s" sign though, my bad...

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kyle View Post
Do you see frequent hangups causing you to have to reconnect every 10 minutes or so? I haven't installed the package that enables DUN yet, but just set up the connection using the command line (with rfcomm in a while loop) so maybe that's part of it.
I've made many short tests to make sure the connection works, but haven't used it for extended periods yet. I'll pay attention when I do, I'm leaving home tomorrow for a week so it won't be long :-)

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
YES I do have frequent -really frequent- disconnections -10 minutes sounds like eternity. And I am using the Bluetooth DUN app from the app manager.

:-((( I really need this functionality. The phone is my only method to go online and usb is not an option, the only spot that i get 3G signal is over the sink. Damn the combination of 5800 and Joikuspot was a charm.
________

Last edited by qwazix; 2012-10-08 at 07:08.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Since you cannot connect over USB ...

Honestly, I don't see what is stopping someone from developing a Joikuspot -type app for the N900. It would seem to be something that could be accomplished with standard Linux router software... However, as they discovered in this thread, the stock kernel is missing bits necessary for NAT, an integral part of the whole process. But if you're willing to update your kernel to Jebba's custom one, you can get mobile hotspot capability.

I also found a post saying that Joikuspot will support the N900 in the next few months, if you're not willing to do these kind of hacks...