Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Here goes nothing... Can anyone give any help installing this on OS X
https://github.com/phatina/simple-mtpfs

I can try to configure, but it gives me the error about libmtp not found. I installed libmtp through Macports. I have no idea how to install it otherwise. I'm not a programmer but I'll gladly throw commands at Terminal if I just get my Jolla to work on OS X.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by att View Post
Currently 47 apps.
I know this is a somewhat nonsensical calculation, nostalgic at best for those of us who come from the early Maemo days of the Nokia 770 and N8x0, but:

If the Jolla store has 47 applications now, even before the device goes on general sale, that's roughly 20% of what the 770 ever had during its lifetime and about 10% of what was ever available for the N800/N810.

(Of course, we're not even counting compatible applications from 3rd party Android stores here, some which seem to be really popular with Jolla users.)

Had somebody told me back then, I wouldn't have believed him.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
Well it seems you are not reading enough.
More than enough.

It needs a FAT partition (which was done on N900 and N9), ...
That was what I had asked before, when you answered "All the reasons why were mentioned before" instead of simply saying "Yes +10chars".

Minimos was kind enough to solve that for me meanwhile. Thanks anyway.

But bitching about missing mass storage because Apple cannot keep breaking industry standards because it wants to push its own vendor lock in is not productive and is not going to get you anywhere. Don't shoot the messenger.
I'm "bitching" (thanks again) about mass storage because I'm on a Gnome desktop here and MTP hardly does anything for me. It either doesn't work at all or only accesses a restricted set of file types, which is about as useful as a file manager only showing filenames from J to Q.

I'm with you about Apple, but couldn't care less about if and how any phone works with Apple products.

Anyway, no further questions here, thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by Miharin View Post
Here goes nothing... Can anyone give any help installing this on OS X
https://github.com/phatina/simple-mtpfs

I can try to configure, but it gives me the error about libmtp not found. I installed libmtp through Macports. I have no idea how to install it otherwise. I'm not a programmer but I'll gladly throw commands at Terminal if I just get my Jolla to work on OS X.
Off-topic but when you are building something, -dev packages are usually required so I guess it's failing for you as you need to install libmtp-dev

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I only feel that "everyone's moving away" isn't a good explanation.)
Reminds me of the good old everyone moving away from Flash in favour of HTML5.

I trust Jolla has the mass storage mode on the features to complete list.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
The current btrfs layout gives us huge benefits there that would not be possible if we needed to have some rogue FAT partition.
How does this affect the SD card, which JollaHQ is advising be formatted a FAT32 on Twitter?

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
I'm "bitching" (thanks again) about mass storage because I'm on a Gnome desktop here and MTP hardly does anything for me. It either doesn't work at all or only accesses a restricted set of file types, which is about as useful as a file manager only showing filenames from J to Q.

Anyway, no further questions here, thank you.
Hmm weird. Well I use cinnamon, and it works fine for me. Although sometimes I need to open the filemanager myself as it sometimes gets confused when several different programs try to access it. Like when I already have shotwell or gphoto open. Maybe something you could try? Sometimes with USB trying another port helps too.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by VDVsx View Post
Is this related to username != email address ? If so, that setting was already added and hopefully will be release in next SW update.
Great, thanks, and I assume that is reason. I'm currently slightly confused about settings. I have
-email address I wish to use in outgoing email "from" and "reply-to" field
-username and pw to IMAP server (SSL)
-username and pw to SMTP server (SSL)
These are not anyway related to each other or server names/addresses. They work fine with several different devices.

Current Jolla email account dialog has
-server userames and passwords and addresses
-name at the top under "Email", changing with some way
-"Account information" field

I fail to understand what is "email address" in current dialog (not been able to send anything), but hopefully the update clears things.

Last edited by sconf; 2013-12-13 at 22:44.

The Following User Says Thank You to sconf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Off-topic but when you are building something, -dev packages are usually required so I guess it's failing for you as you need to install libmtp-dev
I got a bit more forward, I installed libmtp again through Homebrew, and this time I get this message with configure:

checking for FUSE... no
configure: error: Package requirements (fuse >= 2.7.3) were not met:

No package 'fuse' found

Consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if you
installed software in a non-standard prefix.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables FUSE_CFLAGS
and FUSE_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.
Apparently this OSXFUSE is not high enough, as it's 2.6.2 so I'm so out of luck Or, configure cannot find the package and I don't know how to point it to the right place, can anyone give me directions?

If you guys can help me get this thing to work and successfully mount a Jolla to the desktop, that will greatly help all OS X users and we can stop "bitching"

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Miharin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 329 | Thanked: 422 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ derpton
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
No, it's not. But I would not argue about that 1%. On paper, maybe there is more than 1% who actually cares but in reality 99% of them uses some kind of cloud service. And I don't take seriously concerns about privacy and security from people who willingly use some kind of closed corporate protocolos.
Yes, using a cloud service is the same as ignoring basic application security and letting all apps access everything. Nobody could use a cloud service, and then worry about one app reading another's data. I'm sorry, I'll go back to my cave now.

I see security is not taken seriously around here. For shame.

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience