Poll: Will you switch to sprint for the EVO 4G?
Poll Options
Will you switch to sprint for the EVO 4G?

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
As far as I know, Sprint is the only telco "in the world" moving to WiMax...at least for now. Coupled w/the fact that people are having reception/call quality issues w/the Incredible, an issue I think may be inherent with most HTC phones, I'll pass.
I think ClearWire dropped WiMax plans for LTE. Sprint gets their 4G through Clearwire right?

The way I see it there's no point in always switching to the latest and greatest hardware available. With the way things are now, your newest device is only top on specs for a few months before it gets outclassed again. Even the EVO 4G and iPhone 4G will be outclassed within a few months (or in iPhone's case next iPhone by Apple). So you might as well buy one and stick with it for a few years before upgrading for the maximum return on your money (unless your skilled enough to flip devices so you don't lose much cash when you upgrade).

Now if you have a problem with the service provider, the OS, or the software then I can see why you would want to change.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I think ClearWire dropped WiMax plans for LTE. Sprint gets their 4G through Clearwire right?
I just heard on CNBC that whoever is building out the Sprint network, stated that Sprint is the only one going with WiMax. All the other carriers are going a different route, or still deciding. For the next year at least, if you go Sprint, and WiMax phone, you may be a55-out using it "abroad"...depending on backward-capability.

I was thinking about getting it but if djsteve gets nitdrod fully working on the n900 with flash 10.1 then i won't be switching.

I've had the N900 since December and I'm moving on for a number of reasons which I will list below but first here are the things I've loved about the device:
  • Stylus
  • Landscape screen
  • Stereo Speakers
  • GPS track time
  • Flash incorporation
  • Openness of the device
  • 3G speeds
  • Fatness of it.

A lot of those options happen to be what I hate about the device as well, The flash is there but it is slow and battery consuming, as of late I've just been using Opera and loving it, wishing I'd had it since the beginning which I would have with Android or an iPhone *gasp

The GPS track time is great but I don't have a good program to use it with! The google maps workaround while usable is slow, hard to use, and generally unfulfilling. I love the openness but the acceptability of this device is just too slow, I'm tired of waiting and waiting for good programs to come out which never do, there are a handful of quality programs for the N900 but that's where it ends and I just wait unfulfilled.

I'm not enough of a programmer to make my own programs or spend the time learning the code required to do it, I have a job, and hobbies which I don't want to sacrifice in order to get some program to do something that I could probably get for free on another phone. I guess as I move along in life time becomes more important and I'd rather pay a few extra bucks a month in order to get what I need when I need it.

The main turnoffs to me of the EVO are the lack of a keyboard (but this is part of what I love is how much skinnier it is than the N900), the extra price (which at $10/month is not that much really), lack of a stylus but I'll survive and probably find my productivity increase with programs made for finger use instead of stylus.

So now that I've had my rant you all can come in and tell me how wrong I am and maybe convince me to stay but for now I'm going to try out the EVO and the next iPhone when it comes out and decide from there which to go with. My phone bill will increase about $50 a month since I have an amazing deal with T-mo right now but to me it's worth it.

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Daly City
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
But what if HTC would release a GSM EVO? Then will you guys buy it or wait for the meego device to be announced in september?
maybe.. and if it is compatible with t-mo.

So I went to Sprint today. The only thing that stopped me from leaving with an EVO was they didn't know when it was getting froyo.

I prefer the n900 browser though. I guess I'll keep both if I get it.

Originally Posted by tye View Post
I've had the N900 since December and I'm moving on for a number of reasons which I will list below but first here are the things I've loved about the device:
  • Stylus
  • Landscape screen
  • Stereo Speakers
  • GPS track time
  • Flash incorporation
  • Openness of the device
  • 3G speeds
  • Fatness of it.

A lot of those options happen to be what I hate about the device as well, The flash is there but it is slow and battery consuming, as of late I've just been using Opera and loving it, wishing I'd had it since the beginning which I would have with Android or an iPhone *gasp

The GPS track time is great but I don't have a good program to use it with! The google maps workaround while usable is slow, hard to use, and generally unfulfilling. I love the openness but the acceptability of this device is just too slow, I'm tired of waiting and waiting for good programs to come out which never do, there are a handful of quality programs for the N900 but that's where it ends and I just wait unfulfilled.

I'm not enough of a programmer to make my own programs or spend the time learning the code required to do it, I have a job, and hobbies which I don't want to sacrifice in order to get some program to do something that I could probably get for free on another phone. I guess as I move along in life time becomes more important and I'd rather pay a few extra bucks a month in order to get what I need when I need it.

The main turnoffs to me of the EVO are the lack of a keyboard (but this is part of what I love is how much skinnier it is than the N900), the extra price (which at $10/month is not that much really), lack of a stylus but I'll survive and probably find my productivity increase with programs made for finger use instead of stylus.

So now that I've had my rant you all can come in and tell me how wrong I am and maybe convince me to stay but for now I'm going to try out the EVO and the next iPhone when it comes out and decide from there which to go with. My phone bill will increase about $50 a month since I have an amazing deal with T-mo right now but to me it's worth it.
  • Stylus yes I do agree that is something I miss when I use a capacitive touchscreen.
  • The speakers on the Nokia n900 are superb but I won't miss them however something I would miss very much from the Nokia n900 is the fm transmitter.
  • The screen on Nokia n900 is good quality I would like it to be a litter larger however I would Android phones win when it comes to screen.
  • Gps on the Nokia n900 is very basic not a feature that I would use. I do like how Ovi Maps doesn't need data usage. Android wins because of voice guided directions.
  • Adobe Flash works superbly on the Nokia n900 but it will come to Android in version 2.2 it I will wait to see how the actual performance is.
  • As for openess both Android and Maemo are very open. I would say Maemo is more open because root access is much easier to get. However Android can be installed on almost any toushscreen device and Maemo really can only found Nokia devices. I would only see myself rooting an Android device if I wanted to install custom roms which really I wouldn't need.
  • Even if you don't get Wimax Sprint 3g is very good and the coverage of Sprint 3g is excellent where I live.

Originally Posted by railroadmaster View Post
  • Stylus yes I do agree that is something I miss when I use a capacitive touchscreen.
  • The speakers on the Nokia n900 are superb but I won't miss them however something I would miss very much from the Nokia n900 is the fm transmitter.
  • The screen on Nokia n900 is good quality I would like it to be a litter larger however I would Android phones win when it comes to screen.
  • Gps on the Nokia n900 is very basic not a feature that I would use. I do like how Ovi Maps doesn't need data usage. Android wins because of voice guided directions.
  • Adobe Flash works superbly on the Nokia n900 but it will come to Android in version 2.2 it I will wait to see how the actual performance is.
  • As for openess both Android and Maemo are very open. I would say Maemo is more open because root access is much easier to get. However Android can be installed on almost any toushscreen device and Maemo really can only found Nokia devices. I would only see myself rooting an Android device if I wanted to install custom roms which really I wouldn't need.
  • Even if you don't get Wimax Sprint 3g is very good and the coverage of Sprint 3g is excellent where I live.
Its a great smartphone. Anyone who is looking into it should go for it. I have been using this since the day it was released and i love it!! Great for someone like me who has to be on email all the time. Switched from N900 (email sucked, very tiny font) Two major dissatisfier for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Foodie N900; 2010-06-27 at 03:56.

Is the battery life an better with the evo?

Originally Posted by nosa101 View Post
Is the battery life an better with the evo?
The battery life on the evo is horrific.