I just won an N9 in a competition. I can see the app market place is very limited, but I can also see the hardware and phone is very good. I currently have an HTC Desire running Cyanogenmod, but the phone is very limited on resources, so I find it frustrating.

My ideal would be to have Android on the N9 so that I could have the best of both worlds (this is being worked on apparently - see here). So, my question is - should I sell the N9 and look to buy another android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2?) or wait for Android to run on the N9 I already have?

Honestly, if you really want Android, I'd just sell the N9 and go with the S2. I know e-yes does a great job on the Nitdroid ports but I don't know that any will ever be complete like a stock Android build.

Otherwise, just keep Meego on it and dual boot Nitdroid when it comes. I much prefer Harmattan to Android myself, despite the lack of apps.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Sell it, grab a true Android phone is my advice.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
Afaik the version for the N900 is still not fully ported yet and close to 2 years of dev put into that, i see a long waiting ahead for you mate.
Call function still doesn't work on the version for the N900.
If you like android over meego then sell, better than waiting for somthing that might not come.
If you like meego and the n9 keep it, but do because it will meet your needs and not because of nitdroid.

Regards Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by x3ja View Post
So, my question is - should I sell the N9 and look to buy another android phone (Samsung Galaxy S2?) or wait for Android to run on the N9 I already have?
Same advice as cincibluer6: if all you want is Android, definitely, sell the N9 and get an Android device. The N9 was not built to run Android, and will never run it as well as a native Android phone.

Myself, I think the features of Harmattan are significantly superior to those of Android, but then that's the opinion you'd get from a lot of folks on a site like this one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
The N9's hardware is too old for ICS. Sell it to someone who wants it, or try to understand Harmattan. You might find youself liking it.

If your idea is indeed "N9 with Android" just get an Android device. You wont ever see Android apps to N9.

All of the Android, iOS and WP give a better everyday phone with 100% support and hundreds of new apps appearing everyday.

N9 has it charm and i use it every other day over my iPhone 4 and Lumia 800. Though you really need to be in love with the multitasking idea and swipe UI, that i'am. Because that's really what makes N9, N9 imo.

I personally love harmattan and the n9. I think u should give the n9 a try for a week or two then decide.
I really look forward to ics on the n9 and I dont expect to have full function but its fun to have the option to boot into android for some features.
I know that i would really miss harmattan if i sold the n9 for an android phone.
(i have a android tablet)

If you had to make a thread about it, I think you already know the answer.
The best equivalent (hardware wise) would be the original Galaxy S:
-4" vs 3.9"
-SAMOLED vs SAMOLED
-1GHz A8 vs 1GHz A8
-512 MB vs 1GB
-SGX540 vs SGX530
-microSD vs microSD
-5MP vs 8MP
...give that a go if you want to dip the water, its not obsolete yet.

Or you can take a splash dive and grab the SGSII which has a much better processor/RAM and also a bigger and better screen!

Or grab the latest and greatest Android device: SG NOTE, Gnex or Captivate Glide.

Last edited by Kangal; 2012-02-05 at 04:17.

Actually if you want, I have an SGS and Desire Z both running the latest and greatest (beta ICS or stable 2.3.7 with MIUI).

You can chroot ubuntu on those and do most* linux tasks. Or switch back to a fluid phone experience with over 48GBs of HD Apps, N64, PSX, GBA and SNES on the GameGripper or Sixaxis (I'm not so into NES, Sega, DSi and Dreamcast games yet).