Active Topics

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It takes a high level of hardware abstraction to make that true.
yes but with the size of these big companies its possible for mobile device.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ronaldo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
yes but with the size of these big companies its possible for mobile device.
Yes, and I believe MeeGo is going make it happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I for one would rather have a compatibility layer (ie a compatible version of QT and web runtime) on Maemo 5 to run MeeGo apps rather than castrating Harmattan in order to make it run on old devices.
I wouldn't dare to suggest that Harmattan should be made available on 770/N8x0... or for that matter MeeGo on those devices as that's a compromise too far (but if it happens - one way or another - great!)

However if the Harmattan platform is not a million miles from the Fremantle platform, it becomes a little more difficult to understand how or why an upgrade could not be made available. Ultimately I think this will become - if it's not already - a business decision.

Not that I would be asking for Harmattan if the outstanding bugs in Fremantle could be fixed, but many won't be fixed because they involve changes that are too deep or time consuming so instead they're pushed to Harmattan. And many of these bugs originated in Diablo, with promises of being fixed in a future OS!

Supporting Maemo is a bit like being dragged around by a carrot and stick.

Last edited by Milhouse; 2010-03-02 at 00:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
To be honest, as far as the 'FUD' question goes, it doesn't matter whether Harmattan is going to be available on the N900. What matters is that we know what the plans are either way. Until we do, there's going to be uncertainty, and fear.

The Following User Says Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
It takes a high level of hardware abstraction to make that true.
MeeGo is supposed to run on phones, netbooks, cars and TVs, amongst other things. I think a high level of hardware abstraction is pretty much a given.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ewan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Would users of [competitor] expect to get a totally renewed UX to their current devices, including all new pre-installed apps and a revamped OS?
If the reasons preventing it are purely business ones, then, yes, I'd expect an upgrade.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Meego schmeego...

For the average N900 owner/user the fear is that the unfinished features of the N900 will remain unfinished.
PC Suite, OVI Suite, or Any Dang Suite support is just one example

For the average N900 owner/user the uncertainty is that there seems to be no outlet other than maemo.org for any information about these issues. (The MFE thread is a an example.)

For the average N900 owner/user the doubt is fueled by the apparent rapid change over to Meego giving the impression that resources have already been pulled from Maemo.

I'm thinkin' the average N900 owner/user wouldn't give a rat's butt about Meego/Harmattan/N920 or whatever Nokia wants to call it. They care about their N900 and whether it will be useful to them in the future.

IMHO... These things^ are the source of a lot of the FUD and it won't go away until NOKIA addresses the issues with either a Maemo5 road-map or a simple statement stating Maemo5 is as good as it gets.

Before anyone points to a Wiki page that was just published on a maemo.org site or the notes from maemo.org members visit to a many months old summit... Nokia can not have it's cake and eat it too with regard to this community.

What existing and potential N900 owner/users should have are more Nokia provided resources, not community provided ones.

SLN member # 009

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Everyone keeps saying, "OS updates on iPhone still work on old devices" without realizing that this actually means that the new devices must be underperforming in order to maintain compatibility.

I for one would rather have a compatibility layer (ie a compatible version of QT and web runtime) on Maemo 5 to run MeeGo apps rather than castrating Harmattan in order to make it run on old devices.
This is FUD. I have fought against this type of FUD my entire career. I've even gone behind bosses backs to avoid this common misconception. I've also begged in front of boss and peers, that if they were having problems maintaining compatibility, please come and see me.

But that's not the norm, and it's sad. This is the only topic where I praise Microsoft, until Vista, they got this right better than anyone. And whoever said that Apple and the like retain customers for this very reason were right on. The Linux kernel guys get it, but they might be wavering. Give me a bloated kernel that I can reconfigure and slim down myself, but don't cut anyone off.

Deadlines cause panic. Panic causes bad decisions. Bad decisions lead to incompatibility for usually no good reason.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
So how bout it Nokia? Feel like disclosing any new information to us supporters of Maemo/N900 with regards to Meego on this device, or will it always be "we cannot say one way or the other" ******** up until the day something does(or does not) happen?

Last edited by craftyguy; 2010-03-02 at 02:43.

The Following User Says Thank You to craftyguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
So how bout it Nokia? Feel like disclosing any new information to us supporters of Maemo/N900 with regards to Meego on this device, or will it always be "we cannot say one way or the other" ******** up until the day something does(or does not) happen?
I must say, we keep walking in circles time and time again, in many threads, but we won't break the cycle until this question is answered clearly.

Or until a Maemo 5 roadmap is revealed that addresses what people is asking for (more portrait, Java, profiles, etc).

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post: