I've noticed that mplayer plays flv files and possibly others much better than vlc and the built in player fails to play them all together. I've also had some success with changing the default application for certain file types so i can download file extensions which were previously unrecognised. I did this by installing nano and editing the defaults.list file with a line that says application/*=Filebox.desktop.

Does anyone know whether it would be possible to add another line to the defaults.list file to make mplayer the default player for certain video files? I was thinking this may fix the problem where you click an embedded video only to find the built in player opens but can't play. Even the old symbian 3 phones could do this! Let alone maemo5

Posts: 412 | Thanked: 480 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Bronx, NY
There is a program in the repo's called dbus switchboard for this.

btw my stock player plays flv content fine.

Edit: oops didnt realise this was for an N9

Last edited by Mike Fila; 2012-02-09 at 00:56.

I can't find a meego port for dbus switchboard

The Following User Says Thank You to dirtymoon For This Useful Post:
You may have a proper monitoring tool to do this, but if not, you should make an approximate note of how much battery a 1h film consumes, played with MPlayer then Stock. Choose a video that's just inside the stock player's capabilities.
Unless Maemo6 has had a revamp in this area, The stock player uses h/w accelleration, although other video players don't. Result: even though MPlayer etc can disregard the video profile, playback will consume more paower.
- this is all just a warning, when using MPlayer.

As far as making something the default applicatioln (to lauch/use a specific file-type), the mime-type of the video file(s) need to be associated. I think there's some stuff in the Maemo wiki about mime. Look at a desktop shortcut file to see what I mean.

Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
But for all the hardware acceleration that it may have, the stock player is useless if it doesn't play AVC-MainProfile.

Last edited by tigas; 2012-02-09 at 14:34.

I'm not worried about battery consumption. I just want the option to play files which i couldn't otherwise play. I've googled mime etc and haven't yet found a solution. I'm suprised the option to change defaults isn't already there. Lets face it we've been doing it in windows for 15 yrs or more. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia
Im use PR1.3 and want to play .flv files but i cant. media player not supported. I have install decoder support v0.4 and my video just 360p. Can anyone help me? if i use Mplayer, when the video play, voice and subtitle is incorrect.
Please Help Me