Closed Thread
I can stick unoptimized files on an ipod, or iphone. Does that mean the product is bad for media because it won't play my unoptimized files?

Likewise I realize that although my tablet is like a computer it is not at the same time one. It doesn't have the power of my dual core computers. So I realize things will be slow and I can't multitask as much. The processor itself is like an pentium 2. imagine running today's apps on a p2 processor!

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

The Following User Says Thank You to Laughing Man For This Useful Post:
Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
don't forget he said he had the device for a year and just now starting to use it. Why?

The Following User Says Thank You to FRZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The processor itself is like an pentium 2. imagine running today's apps on a p2 processor!
In fact, the computer i wrote about here is a P2, and it's slower than my N800.

My laptop is a Celeron (500Mhz) and it feels slower than my N800 at certain tasks, too.

Both don't do very well as pocketable devices that run on batteries.

So the bottom line is: people have computers in every day use that are way slower than a tablet. the tablets come with more horsepower, a full-fledged desktop OS, are pocketable and run miles without a re-charge. - if this is what you want, keep it. if you want the power of a quadcore CPU, don't expect it in this form factor. yet.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
You guys all basically hijacked the discussion into some insecurity contest over why the N810 shouldn't be a high end gaming machine.

At no point did I ever imply that, so I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with this garbage.

My best guess on your assumptions is that you all have some kind of predisposition to anyone making a critical analysis of the device.

You're all way off the mark and have very low standards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Omega For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Your first post doesn't look like a critical analysis to me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
When i purchased my n810 i had a choice between that and the T-mobile G-1 phone. When i first got my Tablet i was a little disappointed and i started to get a little buyer's remorse. Add the fact that Freemantle won't support my device i almost put my tablet up on ebay. However, when i initially purchased the tablet I was looking for a replacement for my desktop and was having unrealistic expectations for the device. What i use my device for now is as a Portable Media player to which it seems to be well suited for.

I don't think it's the fact that the community has low standard for this device, it's that we're a group of people who like to tinker as evidenced by the fact that there are multiple alternative Operating systems to maemo and i can honestly say that no two people use their tablet in the same manner. The reason i bring this up is because we like to tinker we are a little bit more okay with a less than polished device. Most of us do not have delusions of grandeur that our tablet is an iPhone or iPod Touch but most of us like that fact. It's the open architecture that lets use do with it what we want unlike having a locked down apple device. But the trade off of the open architecture and having a community of non-professional developers, you get to do what you want with the device but you may not get as polished a product. That is not to say that non-professional developers can't do as polished product as apple, i love canola's UI and those doing work on mer and android are absolutely amazing i wish i could help out with the cause but i lack the skill set to do anything useful.

So if you're unhappy with the device I do agree with the others and you should cut your losses and part ways with the device. Just understand that you won't get your full 400 dollars back from it because it's selling brand new for 200 bucks.

Good Luck and i hope do you find a use for the device if not i hope it doesn't wind up being a 400 dollar paperweight.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kimchimik For This Useful Post:
You guys are such losers. You got punked by an oldy-but-a-goody: the dickbot. But not to worry, by its naming scheme it might be the last of its kind.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Troll,
The n810 is the only open pocketable device that is widely available supported by a major company, if you don't like it sell it. I find it the most useful piece of mobile technology I have ever owned, and a lot of people on this forum gladly accept its shortcomings because of its benefits.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mobiledivide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Omega View Post
You guys all basically hijacked the discussion into some insecurity contest over why the N810 shouldn't be a high end gaming machine.

At no point did I ever imply that, so I'm not sure where you guys are coming up with this garbage.

My best guess on your assumptions is that you all have some kind of predisposition to anyone making a critical analysis of the device.

You're all way off the mark and have very low standards.
Nobody is saying it should be a high end gaming machine. I am simply responding to this particular comment you made.

The device is utterly useless. All UI operations are slow, unresponsive and laggy. I connect a Bluetooth keyboard to it and input is equally as slow. I enable a 128MB swap (why I should even have to do this blows my mind to bits).

I don't know how so many people can be even moderately satisfied with devices that are less responsive than tiger toys. Is it just really low standards or is there some procedure I haven't followed to enable "the secret actually be responsive" mode?

How do I make this thing work properly? GPS? Responsiveness? I have a bluetooth keyboard, a 4GB SD tossed in there. Help me out.
The other problems I've never had. And I don't have an n810 so I can't speak about it's GPS capabilities (I use an external bluetooth dongle that works fine). Perhaps you should re-read your first post before you make another post complaining about how we're all off the mark?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

I got an N800 as a gift a couple of years ago from a friend who didn't have the patience to use it, and wanted to get an Iphone.

I must say the first impact was not great, I had zero experience with linux, and I had no clue as to the device's potential. I placed it aside to never touch it until about a year later.
Started messing with the device and fell in love.

At this moment I can confidently say that this is one of the best pieces of technology I have ever owned. I could not envision my life without it.
I purchased a gps receiver and use it to navigate with maemo mapper on a regular basis.
I use it as a media center for movies, tv shows, music, podcasts. and works great.
I use it with Xchat and stay in touch with the IRC community 24/7, I play a web based game competitively and irc is vital for this game.
I am able to seamlessly do the following at the same time: be logged onto xchat, listen to music, and navigate with maemo mapper in my car. I have the device plugged into my civic's audio input Jack.
I use facebook on it, youtube, do my banking, or browse any website.
I have the e-mail system configured for both my personal and business e-mails, and receive all e-mails immediately.
I use the calendar and todo gpe progs to organize my business and my life.
I have the debian package distro whatever it's called I don't even know cause I suck at linux, but it lets me use Open Office 2.4, and use that on a regular basis for all office documents.

Of course my device is connected through my 3G cell phone and has internet wherever I am 24/7

etc. etc. etc. there are many other things I do with it that I'm not gonna list.

To me it is like another appendage, my wife sometimes hates me because she has to share me with the N800.

There definitely are some limitations to the device, and to get it working the way you want it you definitely have to tinker with it for a while, and have the patience to troubleshoot like crazy... but once you get it the way you want it, and once you learn how to get the device to do what you want, there's nothing like it.

None of my friends who all have iphones, can do everything I can do. I would not trade it for anything.

Can't wait for the next tablet!!!

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dantonic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
n810 is a ripoff, n900 is useless, nokia ripoff, not as advertised, paid too much, unresponsive