Poll: Do we need Moderators?
Poll Options
Do we need Moderators?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Personally I like to have sarcastic fun with the flamers and other malcontents, especially when they tickle my irony bone. And if they get too out of hand they go into the Ignore bin. But certainly some moderation could help... sometimes even decent people get out of line and need to be prodded a bit to keep from making fools of themselves. Plus culling the spam more often would be nice.

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-06-01 at 18:44.

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
I'm not one for heavy handed rules but when sometimes you have to create a culture by enforcing some simple rules. A few more moderators would help make sure this happens. Banning some users would simply benefit this forum and make it better. I say create a sub-forum called "teh kiddies can insult each other in herezzz" which is completely unmoderated and then heavily mod the rest of the forums in order to maintain a high quality level.

I am thinking of activating infractions soon. Infractions are measured by points spanning across time. A member can incur infraction points based on a post he/she makes. Points vary by the weight of the grievance. If a member reaches a certain number of points, he can be banned for a week, a month, a year, or forever.

Points expire however. Each infraction will last for a month. An infraction having a weight of say 10 points issued today will get erased by next month. As long as points haven't expired, points can accumulate and become the basis of length of the ban.

Members who receive infractions will get a PM stating the reason of the infraction.

What do you all think?

But who will moderate the moderators ?

I've seen the infraction point system work fairly well at another forum. They have a "ban bin" where troublemakers go to chill while they're given another chance if they receive too many.

Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
I am thinking of activating infractions soon. Infractions are measured by points spanning across time. A member can incur infraction points based on a post he/she makes. Points vary by the weight of the grievance. If a member reaches a certain number of points, he can be banned for a week, a month, a year, or forever.

Points expire however. Each infraction will last for a month. An infraction having a weight of say 10 points issued today will get erased by next month. As long as points haven't expired, points can accumulate and become the basis of length of the ban.

Members who receive infractions will get a PM stating the reason of the infraction.

What do you all think?

Totally fair. No point in banning Texrat & Milhouse for life cuz they have posted a few helpful posts in the past.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
as long as the moderators are fair and unbiased and completely not power-hungry.

Crap. You lost me at "not power-hungry".

Originally Posted by phi View Post
as long as the moderators are fair and unbiased and completely not power-hungry.
You know the saying : choose any two :-)

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I voted no, but of course spam should be eliminated as quickly as possible. So I would say moderators no, eradicators yes.