Notices

thanks for the suggestions guys, but looks like i hit a dead end. looks like i'm gonna have to remove multiboot, reinstall kernel power, apply the custom kernel power and leave nitdroid alone for now.

Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
too bad..anyone managed to get this patch working with multiboot?

Posts: 50 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by RedMatterInc View Post
I confirmed that injection is working, as I can associate to with the AP while in monitor mode. However, when I run `nice yes | nice aireplay-ng -5 -b "00:14:BF:2A:5C:00" -h "3C:F7:2A:2B:3D:F9" "wlan0"` on the N900, it eventually results in the wlan0 interface going down. Running the exact same command on my laptop works fine (which is using the ath9k driver, which also has the injection patch). Has anyone else ran into this problem? If so, have you found a solution, or a workaround?
Sorry I am not so familiar with all the different attack modes of aireplay-ng. I have never tested the fragmentation attack myself, so I can't really help right now. I am going to look into this. Do you know if there is still a mac80211 patch needed (with bleeding-edge mac80211) for fragmentation attack?

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I'm thinking about donating and getting a copy, but before I do so, I would like to see confirmation of the argument happening on the last two pages, namely: Are the patches GPL'd or not?
Yes, the binaries, patches and source are definitively licensed under GPL. Nevertheless if you are really strict the package also contains some files with unknown licensing e.g. the load and unload script.

Originally Posted by FRuMMaGe View Post
Do you have to install the version of power kernel included in the file or can you stick with the latest (v46) version already available in the repos.
You have to use the included custom power kernel (v46-wl1), v46 from the repo doesn't work.

Do you have to install some sort of bootloader. I have used multiboot in the past and ended up having to reflash my N900.
No you don't have to, you can think of it like updating to a new power kernel version.

Finally, can I still use the other features in v46 power kernel (usb host mode particularly)
Yes, all v46 power kernel features should work as usual. There is only a minimal change between the official v46 and the custom v46-wl1.

Regarding battery life:

The problem is not exactly with modules loaded/unloaded, monitor mode on/off.
The main problem is, that if the firmware is loaded the wl1251 chip drains battery. There is only one situation (the most used one) in which the chip doesn't drain battery. When it is associated and wifi power saving is successfully enabled. So in fact there are two states, which doesn't drain battery:
* modules loaded/unloaded + interface down (firmware is unloaded)
* modules loaded + interface up + associated in managed mode + power saving successfully enabled + no additional monitor VAP

This should apply to both, the stock wl12xx driver and the bleeding-edge wl1251 driver.
The included network manager wlancond usually tries to keep the interface down most time, so that the firmware is unloaded. Nevertheless if you "play" with the interfaces and VAPs, you have to take care to put them down/remove VAPs, when they are not used anymore. e.g. if you forget to put your interface down and it is not associated it will result in battery running to 0% within some hours.
As far as I know there can't be done anything against this battery draining, as the chip seems pretty hungry if it is not in wifi power saving mode and wifi power saving only works if you are associated to an AP. (The AP buffers data for the client and only sends at specific time slots. In between this time slots the card can sleep and save battery.)

Regarding multiboot:

Sorry guys, I can't really help you on this topic. I don't use multiboot myself, but as someone got the Neopwn custom kernel working with multiboot I thought it shouldn't be much trouble with the v46-wl1 kernel. I also included the bootimg package, so it should work exactly the same as with the official power kernel.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lxp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
It works fine with multiboot.

First, install the bootimg package, which puts the kernel into /boot.

Then, as root, move/rename that file to:
Code:
/boot/multiboot/vmlinuz-2.6.28.10power46-wl1
Next, create the file /etc/multiboot.d/01-Maemo-2.6.28.10power46-wl1.item and put this inside:
Code:
ITEM_NAME="Maemo 2.6.28.10power46-wl1"
ITEM_KERNEL=2.6.28.10power46-wl1
ITEM_MODULES=ext3
reboot with keyboard open and choose your new kernel

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
And that process can probably be automated in future if the regular expression used by multiboot-kernel-power were updated to recognize the -wl1 suffix

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 50 | Thanked: 444 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
And that process can probably be automated in future if the regular expression used by multiboot-kernel-power were updated to recognize the -wl1 suffix
Thank you for this multiboot howto. I guess that won't be necessary as any new power kernel version should incorporate the small needed change (I hope at least as I haven't got a reply from Titan yet).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lxp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
multiboot works..i can now multiboot :

1. maemo-kernel omap1
2. kernel 2.6.28.10power46
3. kernel 2.6.28.10power46-wl1 (packet injection!!!!!!!!!!!!yeahh!!)
4. NITDroid

injection is working.....

the purpose of having 2 v46 is because if the patch driver(v46-wl12) fails/unstable/sucks battery life, i could boot into original 46...or if there is an upgrade to the current original V46 (maybe an update to v47 or v48)..that way, i won't lose the packet injection

currently i will leave the phone on v46-wl12 to test the battery issue..will report tomorrow..will post battery-graph too..

Last edited by one1002; 2011-01-04 at 18:38.

Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Load and unload are working as expected.

I rigged a beecon to load the driver then enable monitor mode, then another to enable managed mode and unload the driver.

I had
Code:
sh /home/user/MyDocs/wl1251-maemo/binaries/compat-wireless/unload.sh
rather than
Code:
sudo sh /home/user/MyDocs/wl1251-maemo/binaries/compat-wireless/unload.sh
So although managed mode was enabled I hadn't unloaded the driver.

I've had a few issues with my phone over the last few days, I ended up reformatting MyDocs last night as I had 7 gig missing.
I've since re-applied the patches as for some reason simply copying the wl1251-maemo dir back to MyDocs didn't work, I'll let you know how it goes with a correctly set up beecon

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James_Littler For This Useful Post:
Why are you putting them in the vFAT partition? Stick them in /opt/ and be done with it.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
We are supposed to be allowed to choose how much we'll donate, right? For lack of options all i have left to choose is zero bucks, gimme the link please?

The Following User Says Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:

Tags
driver, injection, wl1251