Hi!

I've converted some .avi movies with MediaConverter 1.42 to watch in My N800 (OS2008). I use the optimal setting for N800 (770 MPlayer Optimal 400*240). However, when I do so the screen gets chopped so that I can't see subtitles etc... ? This is when I have the option "Optomize for 770 Full Screen (crops video)" ticked.

When I try to convert without "Optimize..." ticked (but still with 400*240) I can see the subtitles, but the visible area of the screen screen is shrinked into something that looks like 4:3, i.e no widescreen.

No matter wchich player I use, the default Media Player or MPlayer the results are the same...

Are there some settings that I have missed here?

Cheers!

/Boo

Last edited by booguss; 2008-01-06 at 14:44.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 77 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Mountain View, CA
Can you try to convert it using the Nokia Video Converter (http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter) and report if you see the same problem?

Check out the Nokia Internet Tablet Video Converter: http://www.nokia.com/betalabs/videoconverter

The Following User Says Thank You to vbrilon For This Useful Post:
You raise an exellant point and one that I've been asking for some time.

The N800 has a beautiful 800 x 480 pixel screen. This works out to an aspect ratio of 1.66:1 if the pixels are square. They are square aren't they?

The reason I ask this is because all of the widescreen DVDs I own are 720 "thingies" wide x 480 "thingies" high. The N800 should be able to resolve a DVD at full resolution with a pair of 40 pixel wide bars on each side. I understand that the processor may not be able to keep up.

However, said DVD also states that it is 16:9 (or 1.77:1) but the label on the box also says the aspect ratio is 2.40:1.

So now I'm totally confused. If I had a full HD TV (1080 x 1920 with a 16:9 aspect ratio), I'm guessing this 2.40:1 aspect ratio widescreen movie would have black bars top and bottom (if it scans at full width) on the widescreen TV.

So, all that being said, I have not found a single package that does the four things I'm looking for:

#1 and most important. It must convert MPEG2 (*.VOB files) into a format the N800 will decode. It must also be able to stitch together 1 gig *.vob files into one cohesive movie. This seems to be a tall order.

#2 I video preview screen that allows you play around with zooming and preview it for the best balance of seeing things (like subtitles) and filling the screen.

#3 Audio and video must remain in sync. Things also seems to be a big problem. Almost nothing is more distracting then having dialog 100ms ahead or behind the video.

#4 I don't need this but it would be nice. BATCH PROCESSING.

DVDclone Mobile has the nice preview viewer but their N800 template does not work for the N800.

#1 DVD Ripper has audio/video sync problems and I have not found an encoding profile the N800 will decode.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Wimer, Oregon
Originally Posted by gwilterdink View Post
The reason I ask this is because all of the widescreen DVDs I own are 720 "thingies" wide x 480 "thingies" high. The N800 should be able to resolve a DVD at full resolution with a pair of 40 pixel wide bars on each side. I understand that the processor may not be able to keep up.
Correct... and on a screen so small, there's no point in even asking it to do so.

So now I'm totally confused. If I had a full HD TV (1080 x 1920 with a 16:9 aspect ratio), I'm guessing this 2.40:1 aspect ratio widescreen movie would have black bars top and bottom (if it scans at full width) on the widescreen TV.
Correct again. We have a widescreen TV, and finding a DVD that doesn't have bars at the top and bottom is more the exception rather than the rule!

So, all that being said, I have not found a single package that does the four things I'm looking for:

#1 and most important. It must convert MPEG2 (*.VOB files) into a format the N800 will decode. It must also be able to stitch together 1 gig *.vob files into one cohesive movie. This seems to be a tall order.
If you're using, e.g., DVD Decryptor , in its settings you can tell it not to bother splitting the files apart. The file spitting is a remanent of (1) FAT/FAT32 filesystems that won't let you have a single file >4GB and (2) software that also only knew how to read files 4GB or smaller. Issue (1) is usually no longer a problem -- at least if you're ripping to a hard drive -- because file systems such at NTFS are perfectly happy which much bigger files. Issue (2) can still be a problem, but unless you're ripping a movie more than, say, two solid hours, often the rip is <4GB anyway.

#2 I video preview screen that allows you play around with zooming and preview it for the best balance of seeing things (like subtitles) and filling the screen.
That would be nice.

#3 Audio and video must remain in sync. Things also seems to be a big problem. Almost nothing is more distracting then having dialog 100ms ahead or behind the video.
Yeah, agreed -- this seems to be a problem any time you convert video formats, regardless of whether it's on a PC, N800, etc.

I use DVD Decryptor (set to not split files) followed by the Maemo Garage Video Converter (1.43). This largely eliminates problems (1) and (4). I use the "30 second preview" option to somewhat mitigate problem (2), and problem (4) isn't usually a problem (but it depends on the particular DVD, etc...).

---Joel

The Following User Says Thank You to JKolstad For This Useful Post:
Thanks. I'm going to check out DVD Decrypter.

Posts: 874 | Thanked: 316 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ London UK
#1 and most important. It must convert MPEG2 (*.VOB files) into a format the N800 will decode. It must also be able to stitch together 1 gig *.vob files into one cohesive movie.
I use avi.NET, set the resolution to 480 wide. Use PGC.NET to create a single vob if that suits.
http://www.clonead.co.uk/

Try this one, it gives you an on-screen viewer
http://qsn800.wordpress.com/2007/06/...verter-v-0830/

#3 Audio and video must remain in sync.
Use this
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guid...ppvdubmod.html
Instructions
To adjust out of sync sound video: -

1. Load your completed avi (with out of sync sound) into virtualdubmod (In the tools folder where you installed SimpleDivX).

2. Go to File, then 'File Information'. In the video details, look at the length. Compare that to the length in the audio details.

3. Take the difference and multiply by 10 (because we need to know how many milliseconds (thousandths of a second) not the hundredth of a second shown here).

4. Click OK

5. In the 'Video' menu, ensure 'Direct Stream Copy' is selected

6. Got to 'Streams' and them 'Stream list'. There should only be one stream listed there, as 'AVI audio stream 1'. Right click on that stream to ensure 'Direct Stream Copy' is selected.

7. Right click on the stream again and go to 'Interleaving'

8. In the box labelled 'Delay audio track by', enter the number you worked out before (difference between the 2 lengths, multiply by 10).

9. Click OK and then OK again

10. Go to 'File' and 'Save As'. give it a file name (don't overwrite the other file, just in case). Click ‘Save’.

#4 BATCH PROCESSING
No idea, why are you 'shouting'

Sorry. Didn't intend to shout. I was texting my frustration at companies (like Apollo) who claim to have batch processing on their product (#1 DVD Ripper) but don't.

It takes 3-6 hours for my machine to crunch a full length movie into an *.AVI file. Batch processing allows me to queue up 2 or 3 movies at once and go to bed. I don't have to nurse maid the machine and see how its doing. I once queued up 10 TS_VIDEO directories and left for the weekend. Upon my return, I had 10 *.AVI movies waiting to put on my PMP.

Greg

Doesn't Gordian Knot pretty much do all of those things?

You might have to dink about with some basic settings, but DVD Decrypter + DGIndex + Gordian Knot does everything you are asking for.

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Now I use the Nokia N800 Vide Convert 0.8.4 and it works fine. Stretches a bit, but thats cool with me :-)

Cheers!

Boo

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by gwilterdink View Post
You raise an exellant point and one that I've been asking for some time.

The N800 has a beautiful 800 x 480 pixel screen. This works out to an aspect ratio of 1.66:1 if the pixels are square. They are square aren't they?

However, said DVD also states that it is 16:9 (or 1.77:1) but the label on the box also says the aspect ratio is 2.40:1.

DVDclone Mobile has the nice preview viewer but their N800 template does not work for the N800.

#1 DVD Ripper has audio/video sync problems and I have not found an encoding profile the N800 will decode.
Use http://avidemux.sourceforge.net/ . It does ALL the things you mention (also install XVid). Open source, Linux and Windows. Automatically puts VOBs together. You have a fast preview and you can cut and paste scenes before transcoding. Use option "MP2 (2Lame)" to have create mp3 audio. As soon as I have some time I will post a complete description of the process to create optimal videos for n800 from DVD etc.

Avidemux is really the OPTIMAL solution for the tablets.

The Following User Says Thank You to gammer For This Useful Post: