Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
I reflashed my N800 (a few days old from the Circuit City sale) to OS2008 yesterday after mangling something as root and today I'm noticing something odd with it.

I've gone through lots of power-related threads and I haven't seen this combination. I even downloaded the PDF manual from Nokia and looked for a standby-like mode to explain this and didn't find one.

If I plug it into the charger and it says "Charging..." all the time, even overnight. It used to finish charging.

When I push the power-on button to fire it up it shows the Nokia splash screen but DOESN'T have the blue bar crawl across the bottom of the screen. It then seems to work ok.

I do like the fast startup, but it didn't used to be this way. I'm worried that it's stuck in some kind of standby mode that's consuming power even when I want to shut it all the way off.

And I also saw that power-off problem when charging too. Pull the charger, try to power it on, nothing. I pulled the battery for a little while, that didn't work, and then mashed the power button a dozen plus times to get it started.

The linux core of this thing? Impressive. The way I can accidentally break it with software updates? Impressive. The power issues and uncertainty? Not cool.

Any help here is appreciated.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ NJ, USA
Huh, ok, now the blue bar comes up during startup after I left it off for a couple of hours. Not sure about charging yet though.

I can't help other to confirm that since updating to 2008 the blue bar sometimes doesn't appear... possilbe that it never does anymore... I haven't really been paying attention.

However, in the week or so I've been using 2008, just now,
this morning, is the first time it's said fully charged.. Even had a little msg about unplugging to save energy.

I've found a handful or two of 2008 oddities/broken? things to make things interesting. It's an odd little machine, but I love it anyway!

Yes, after flashing the new OS 2008 I've also lost the Blue Bar on startup.

Posts: 574 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ BC, Canada
I haven't figured out the pattern yet, but mostly I don't get the blue progress bar if the tablet is on the charger when I power it up.

Okay, I've flashed to OS2008 and I get the blue progress bar. I think that there was one occasion that it might not have come up, but I can't confirm that.
I'm haven't charged it while it is on to avoid the power-on-problem. But could it be the possibility that the tablet doesn't turn completely off when plugged into the charger that was brought up power-on-problem threads that explains the lack of a progress bar?
Just a guess...

I haven't figured out the pattern yet, but mostly I don't get the blue progress bar if the tablet is on the charger when I power it up.
Yes, I just test it.
1. Power Off (by holding Power Key)
2. Tablet shuts down...
3. Hold Power Key again until the Blue LED stays solid...
4. Nokia Logo shows up and then Blue Bar to show boot progress.....
5. Two hands
6. Desktop

So you Do Get the Blue Progress Bar if you shut off the Tablet and Don't hook up the charger !!! Next time you boot, up comes the Blue Bar....
Now the Question is WHY? I would like to have the Blue Progress Boot Bar every time I turn the IT on...