Im more worried if on septembre calendar sync via caldav stops working

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Well, at better had at least one advantage...

Still people need to understand that the point of the internet is to have a de-centralized infrastructure, and the only sane way to use it in the long run is to not rely on any central service for anything.
Thinking about it... I had another advantage with google reader.
Feeds articles were collected even if my clients were off-line.

That is convenient, because I'm subscribed to some rss feeds that publish a lot of articles every day and only give the last 10 items for each request.

As I said before, my usage is to read the same feeds on multiple devices. I want to be able to continue reading only my unread articles when i switch from one device to the other.

I have found that feedly is cloning google reader api and allows you to migrate seamlessly
http://blog.feedly.com/2013/03/14/google-reader/
Originally Posted by feedly
if you are a third party developer using the Google Reader API and would like to integrate with Normandy, please send an email to remi@feedly.com. We would love to keep the Google Reader ecosystem alive.
The second solution would be tinytiny rss
http://tt-rss.org/redmine/projects/tt-rss/wiki
+ the client for n9
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=89058
and meecolay to run it on n900
I think rssowl can be used for desktops.

Last edited by darodi; 2013-03-15 at 01:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darodi For This Useful Post:
I had tried Feedly, Prismatic and The Old Reader since yesterday. I like none so far.

There is just something about Google Reader's layout that makes it manageable and doesn't take too much click to get to something. Closest thing is The Old Reader but it's still importing my subscription even now.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
On further derailing the thread:
Did someone look into ownCloud recently?
My plans for quite a while now has been to move away from google services, which works fine but you're never sure for how long they will be there. As you can read here there's already a feed reader in ownCloud. Not sure how it will handle compared to Google reader.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
I'm hoping old reader will be the goto once they handle the traffic issues. Guesstimats are they quintippled their userbase overnight. That'll slow down many.

On the n900 i used the iphone web address to manage reader on the go, so damn slick. It's easy to find a desktop replacement but an on the go solution that syncs...ugh. Will Diggs promised solution fly...who knows.

Well, The Old Reader seemed to a mobile site, not too bad.

Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
Because Microsoft never started out with CalDav or IMAP from day one. You know the deal when you signed up with Microsoft, using proprietary technology is not necessarily evil by my book. And they have been consistently using Exchange protocol all this while.

However Google is switching from open technologies to proprietary technology once they gained popularity, systematically bringing their consumers/users to that path is pure evil. Google made a bait and switch.
This talk of "lesser evil" is so trite. For one their users/consumers are usually grandfathered so they are unaffected. Also you say that as if MS never discontinued WebDAV support in Exchange 2010. I'm sure I don't need to tell you were embrace extend extinguish came from, to which you are alluding to.

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ St. Paul, MN
Originally Posted by kai_en View Post
Well, The Old Reader seemed to a mobile site, not too bad.
That was my thought too. Simple and effective.