Are python desktop widgets eligible for submission?

The Following User Says Thank You to briggers For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by briggers View Post
Are python desktop widgets eligible for submission?
Hi briggers, sure (I'm assuming you'll be targeting the n900 as you're interested in desktop widgets). Although the majority of entries in the past have been C++ based, we're had quite a few using Python including a few past prize winners too

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following User Says Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,012 | Thanked: 817 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ France
Hi,

I ' ve added a second apps for coding competition. If i understand well the rule it s possible, if note i ll remove one

So i ve added KhtNotes : a note taking apps with ownCloud sync.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...9&goto=newpost

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Khertan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
I have added modRana & Mieru to the updates category.
Rough progress so far:

modRana
  • CLI interface (search, static map URLs, etc.)
  • automatic rerouting support
  • more efficient & robust track logging - in progress

Mieru
  • together with Tempura-san
    • code cleanup
    • improved paging feedback
    • manga mode
    • localization support
    • German (by Tempura), Czech (by me) and Russian (by ZoG) translations
  • updated packages for Fremantle & Harmattan - in progress

Also, hope this is not too much off-topic, might interest some competition entrants though:

<thread hijack>
Openmobility together with Nokia Czech Republic is holding an international summer competition for new Qt & QML application for Harmattan called Openmobility Be Qt Summer Contest . According to the organizers, it is possible to enter both competitions with the same application:
Can an application be entered both to the Openmobility Be Qt Summer Contest and Maemo.org Coding Competition 2012 ?

We would like to avoid duplication of awards for the same application. You can participate our competition if you promise to refuse the price from second competition. You should highlight it in your application to contest (i.e. in email).
Fro more information, see the TMO thread or competition announcement[en].
</thread hijack>

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-07-24 at 22:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I have added modRana & Mieru to the updates category.
Good to see your progress coming along

Also, hope this is not too much off-topic, might interest some competition entrants though:
<thread hijack>
Openmobility together with Nokia Czech Republic is holding an international summer competition for new Qt & QML application for Harmattan called Openmobility Be Qt Summer Contest . According to the organizers, it is possible to enter both competitions with the same application:

Fro more information, see the TMO thread or competition announcement[en].
</thread hijack>
That's good news too, though I really wish they had arranged their competition for a different time. A little before or after this competition would have been perfect, or indeed why not a winter competition? If we'd have had some advanced notice perhaps we could have integrated both competitions and complimented each other a little better, but oh well.. maybe next time

I was wondering, are the organisers of the Openmobility competition members of maemo.org? Seems a little strange that they would arrange their competition for pretty much the same time period as we hold ours. I don't mean that as a criticism of them, they need to do what is right for them, but I think the wider Maemo community missed a better opportunity if things had been organised a little differently.

Also I feel we're a much larger competition and it shouldn't affect us too much, but then I notice things like some N9 blogs posting the Openmobility competition announcement but not our own. Maybe I just don't want out coding competition to have a competition of it's own Maybe next year we'll have a summer competition for coding competitions

Anyways best wishes to the Openmobility team, anything that rewards developers is all good

Edit: by the way I'm just wondering, cos I also highlighted the Openmobility competition on this thread when it was announced. Have they announced our competition on the Openmobility site/forum? It would be good if we supported each other efforts.

Edit2: I'm still waaay behind on answering pm's

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-24 at 22:26.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 203 | Thanked: 538 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Colombia
is there a time limit to submit apps? I'm late to the contest but would like to participate anyway!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munozferna For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by munozferna View Post
is there a time limit to submit apps? I'm late to the contest but would like to participate anyway!
Good, we want you in the competition too munozferna! Don't worry you have plenty of time - the timeline's on the wiki so there's just under 7 weeks left.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Good to see your progress coming along

That's good news too, though I really wish they had arranged their competition for a different time. A little before or after this competition would have been perfect, or indeed why not a winter competition? If we'd have had some advanced notice perhaps we could have integrated both competitions and complimented each other a little better, but oh well.. maybe next time
It is actually a continuation of a local "Be Qt" competition that ran before the Openmobility 2012 conference on the 21 of April in Prague. After the winners were announced at the end of the conference, there was already some talk about doing another round.

Other than that, I think both competitions are quite different (voting vs decision by jury, only new applications in Qt/QML for Harmattan vs much broader possibilities, etc.) anyway.

I was wondering, are the organisers of the Openmobility competition members of maemo.org?
I think their are, but not very active + more interested in Harmattan than Fremantle. Thats why I'm basically doing a liaison in this case.

Anyways best wishes to the Openmobility team, anything that rewards developers is all good
Thanks! ( I'm actually also a member of the Openmobility NCO, just not part of the team that is organizing the competition. )

Edit: by the way I'm just wondering, cos I also highlighted the Openmobility competition on this thread when it was announced. Have they announced our competition on the Openmobility site/forum? It would be good if we supported each other efforts.
Good point, I'll see what can be done (most likely at least a short article about the competition ).

We actually don't have a forum and use a jabber MUC for most of the communication. The MUC is on conf@openmobility.cz and everybody is welcome to drop by.

Last edited by MartinK; 2012-07-24 at 23:06. Reason: i hope there aren't anymore typos :)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@kojacker

man you are awesome

+1

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:

Tags
happy new year, mcc2012, merry christmas