Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Hi,
I'm facing strange issues with my N9 which affects the screen.

- I've the feeling that the ambient light detection doesn't work well anymore. While writing this post, my office is plenty of light, and I can see the time displayed on the standby screen is at the full luminosity even if my luminosity setting is at the minimum.

- If I hide the top right sensor, my screen goes off, then if I unhide this sensor, I can see in a dark room that the screen goes on again, but the time is not displayed. Only clicking the on/off button twice makes the time visible again on the standby screen.

I've just tried to reflash my N9 (and removing the user data), but this has not fixed these issue. So here I am. Thanks for the help.

The Following User Says Thank You to romu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 82 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Bahía Blanca, Argentina
Hello, what you are covering is the proximity sensor, not the light one. The proximity sensor turns off the screen when covered, as the system think it has been inserted in a pocket or inside a closed area, so you dont need the standby screen. Thats the normal behaviour and it's made like that to preserve the battery. Also unlocking by double tapping the screen doesn't work while this sensor is covered.

But you may have a faulty light sensor and the fixed brightness could be a simptom of that. Try reflashing the device and if that doesn't work then you may have to replace the module.

Good luck! Anyone more experienced than me can help you better i'm sure.

1100 >> 3220 >> 5310 >> 5230 >> N9

Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
Hi Hambert and thanks for your message.

My first post me be wrong described but there are really 2 issues, related or not, I don't know.

The first one is about the light sensor and how the phone handles this, and yes, it may be faulty, let's see with time.

The second is about the content of the standby screen. For having my N9 for more than 18 months, I know how it works by switching the screen on/off with the proximity sensor. The issue here is when the screen goes on again (when the sensor is released), then the time is not displayed on the screen, but the screen itself is on.

If've reflashed the N9 some hours ago, and this didn't fix the issues.

Tags
screen