Active Topics

Posts: 1,605 | Thanked: 1,601 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Southern California
Earl... I must admit that you're being pretty harsh here. I like iPhones and my N800 and I have a social life (outside of the computer)... Why are you being so hostile?

-T.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post
Earl... I must admit that you're being pretty harsh here. I like iPhones and my N800 and I have a social life (outside of the computer)... Why are you being so hostile?

-T.
Sorry, but I feel that alot of IT users are little to richous. Look at the title. Come on, no matter how much you fight it, you have to come to terms that the iphone is a great product for what it does, i'm sick of people ranting on how they hate and how bad the iphone is. The iphone is no.1 not because of the masses and your being to smart to be apart of the masses, but it actually is a good functioning phone - I don't even like apple in general. The IT from my experience ( and I like Nokia's N95) so nothing against Nokia, but the IT failed in through eyes as an overpriced slow, open sourced, if you know how to cross-compille device - and I like Nokia's smartphones. But to start something new and for it to be successful, you need a new idea, this is just a slow underpowered pda with a nice screen and open source. Nothing special here. So get over it. Put a open source OS on something thats 3 years old like the Dell Axim X51v with a slightly bigger screen, and you have a IT killer - And thats old technology with nothing revolutionary or evolutionary.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
For 200$. Can you please explain how the it is pricey??

Posts: 772 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jul 2005 @ Montclair, NJ (NYC suburbs)
Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
Look at the title. Come on, no matter how much you fight it, you have to come to terms that the iphone is a great product for what it does, i'm sick of people ranting on how they hate and how bad the iphone is. The iphone is no.1 not because of the masses and your being to smart to be apart of the masses, ...
In the immortal words of Goofy, "Gaaarrrsh, Mickey!"

Since I was noting that the iPhone succeeded where both Internet Tablets failed for both marketing and capability reasons, I'm not sure this qualifies as an anti-iPhone rant.

At any rate, I'm usually interested only in what Nokia did right and what it can do better with the NITs. I've looked high and I've looked low and I haven't seen anyone else offering a WiFi-enabled 800-pixel-wide 8-ounce pocketsize tablet for $200.

If only that webcam could be used with Skype, I think a lot of people would be interested in one of these . . .

Originally Posted by earl00 View Post
...but the IT failed in through eyes as an overpriced slow, open sourced, if you know how to cross-compille device...
Weird. I've held my N800 up against the iPhone many times and each of them win the speed test depending on what I'm trying to do... But, as far as web browsing is concerned, my N800 beats the iPhone almost every time (and, not just when considering speed, but also when looking at page rendering).

Pricey? Well, sachin007 already addressed that, but... The $200-$500 price tag for an internet tablet is where the price...ends. There is no service activation or extra charge for the "phone" part (e.g., the iPhone) because there is no phone... And, that's what a lot of users (myself included) want/need. The iPhone after purchase and cell activation is roughly $400 (for the device) and $720/year (for unlimited internet). Pricey?

Cross-compilation? I guess you've lost me here... Are you speaking of porting apps for use on the Internet Tablet? Sorry, I just need some clarification. Because you sort of have to know how to do that for the iPhone too.

-T.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2007
Originally Posted by timsamoff View Post

Pricey? Well, sachin007 already addressed that, but... The $200-$500 price tag for an internet tablet is where the price...ends. There is no service activation or extra charge for the "phone" part (e.g., the iPhone) because there is no phone... And, that's what a lot of users (myself included) want/need. The iPhone after purchase and cell activation is roughly $400 (for the device) and $720/year (for unlimited internet). Pricey?
http://dealnews.com/Refurbished-Appl...ed/202599.html

No contract. And you can unlocked it in your bedroom. And prices will come down even lower, just like the n800 once $499 down to $199. So no exta service charge as you mentioned if you know how to shop. And so you can still use without the phone part, plus I'm sure you have a cell phone anyway, so you could pop that sim into the iphone anyway.

Last edited by earl00; 2007-12-14 at 22:16.

Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
For 200$. Can you please explain how the it is pricey??
You can't walk into a store and buy an IT for $200. They are still $399 and $479. Its unfortunate (At least in the United States).

If I had to choose between the IT and an iPhone when I was shopping for a family member or a good friend. I couldn't in my right mind gift an N800. I'd be asked for a gift receipt to return it within 24 hours.

Its a toy for technically savvy people. Its nothing beyond that (unless something drastic happens to the platform).

I am interested in Internet Tablets because I'm a gadget freak. Nobody asks me how much and where I can get an IT. They just say, "Oh man, I can't wait to get myself an iPhone".

It has poor app support, codec support and performance issues.

Edit:

Sure it has divx, but if its full rez it drops frames, has tearing and kills the battery.

Sure it has apps like ScummVM but it can't even go full screen.

Sure it has a mozilla browser and flash support, but it loads so slowly.

Sure it has email, but it barely functions with IMAP servers (and gmail).

Sure it has music playback, but it only works with drag and drop directories.

Sure it has Skype, but it doesn't support the BUILT IN front-facing camera (Lol).

Sure its got a nice screen, but it has terrible tearing and no hardware acceleration.

Tell me one thing it does very well? Nothing It gets by on the web, thats about it.

Sure it can remote into a server via the terminal, but what the hell does the whole world need that for?

I'm not down on it, I just can't understand how anyone thinks its better than an iPhone. Its really quite obvious if you look at it objectively.

Music and Video - iPhone
Email - iPhone
You Tube - iPhone
Mapping - iPhone (debatable if you can actually figure out Maemo Mapper)
Photo Viewing - iPhone
Web Browser - N800... only because of flash support. Navigation and rendering is superior on the iPhone.

If you load a 1024 wide page on the N800, you're scrolling horizontally since the reformatting screws most CSS heavy sites.

The iPhone presents the page in its entirety and you tap what you want to read.

Unfortunately, it is hard to compare the navigation objectively since its mostly a preference thing. But I've found that its more widely accepted, having shared both devices with friends and college students alike.

One is mass market, and one is nerd market. (I'm happy to be a part of the nerd one, I just know a better product when I see one)

Last edited by sherifnix; 2007-12-17 at 16:13.

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ somewhere in the far south
Maybe because most people think like this...

magnoforte
Junior Member Join Date: Dec 2007

Re: File Transfer PC to N800

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks fnordianslip for cheer me up..but I am a very busy man, don't have too much time to spend with linux.
Also I am a Windows man, I like the Windows "new hardware found...GE Refrigerator...your refrigerator is ready to cold your six pack" stuff. I want to live relaxed, computers are not my work, not my hobby. I am thinking in sell my N800, I bought it because a coworker, but I am founding it is not for me. I can't listen my favorites radio streams (Windows Media based), too much video conversion, can't use MS Office, etc etc.
I was looking for other kind of experience.
Thanks again
MF

Originally Posted by sherifnix View Post
I'm not down on it, I just can't understand how anyone thinks its better than an iPhone. Its really quite obvious if you look at it objectively.
I'm not sure if anyone said that the N800 was better than the iPhone (I know I didn't)... They are comparable, but you are certainly right about who they are intended for.

And, of course, TIME Magazine is going to opt for the device that is more consumer-friendly.

-T.

It's not that Apple can do what others can't.
It's that Apple does what others don't.

The iPhone is upper-middle hardware, the way I score things. The only particularly impressive hardware feature is the multi-touch screen. But Apple designed that hardware to have exactly the features it would use -- no FM radios left without apps at launch, etc. They built software for that hardware, keeping the whole experience in mind, that would do what it does really, really slick. The downside, of course, is that they had to choose a very limited batch of functionality to make that functionality come out right. They exiled 3rd-party apps to the realm of hacks, so no one could ruin their slick interface. They put it in a box, and will gladly sell you one. If you are content with its feature set, you'll love it. It does what it does so doggone well!

Apple makes slick experiences.

Any other company could have done that -- the hardware's nothing especially special. The multi-touch screen was leading-edge, but anyone could have gotten those, if they were designing such a device. However, no other company did. Most tech-makers concentrate more on features and price, and way less on the finished experience.
Is the iPhone a better device than the N800/N810? Depends how you define better. I'd put the N810 ahead of the iPhone from a hardware perspective. The N800 is arguable, but clearly better in hardware/cost. They both also come out ahead in a feature-list smackdown. But neither of them will do what they do, or even an iPhone-sized subset of what they do, as downright slick as the iPhone does its limited repertoire of tricks.

Give me an N8x0 any day; I want to do everything. And I'll ignore the little bumps along the way, knowing I'd have no such bumps with an iPhone. And don't tell me the iPhone is better, and I won't tell you the tablet is better. Feel free to say it's slicker, more polished, easier to use. And I'll say mine can do more, has higher res, and is more of a laptop. We'll each think we're saying ours is better, but we'll each agree with (and not care about) the other's praises for his device. And the world will be a happy, shiny, agreeing-with-each-other place.