Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
So, I've always been a fan of Nokia's, I like them unlocked and I hate anything a network operator can do to limit a phones functionality.

Recently I have owned, in this order; a T-Mobile G1, a Nokia N79, a Nokia 5800 XM and now an Iphone 3GS all within the last year.

Before I bought my iPhone, I really wanted to get an N97, but as I was coming from a 5800 and it was running the same OS as the N97 (which I find boring and laborious) I felt that the N97 wasn't going to offer me much more than I already had. Despite my hate for apple, because of all their restrictions, and my dislike of O2 for them failing to really offer a 3G service, I decided to get the 3GS.... of course mine is Jailbroken and unlocked and currently operating on the 3 network.

I've now owned this device for around 2 months and I have to say I love it. Since the jailbreak I have found that I can customise it probably further than I have any previous phone.

Why then do I find myself captivated by the N900? I really feel I want to sell my 3GS and buy the N900.... but would it be that smart of a move?

Let me share some of the things about my iphone that make me want to switch:

1. Signal strength... my home, as covered by three for 3G services comes under a "variable" quality area. On my Nokia's more often that not I would pick up a decent 3G signal in many rooms of the house, with the iphone this is limited to a couple of locations upstairs only, and is not consistent. I hope the N900 is as good as, if not better than my 5800 in this regard.

2. Lack of Flash support in browser.... although since jailbreak I have installed "imobilecinema" and can now view videos directly from the youtube site, it seems that many embedded videos are still not supported. I dont know why, but I imagine the N900 to support far more instances of embedded vids?

3. Duh, the lack of multi tasking - many times I have found myself needing this.

4. My 5800 was able to display widescreen format films across the whole of the screen, once converted. My iphone only seems to put 4:3 films up in full screen, widescreen ones lose too much viewing area with the black bars. Without getting too technical I believe the N900 will get me back to full screen?

5. I would really appreciate being able to the the N900 as a USB mass storage device... cant do on iphone unless you install something such as ifunbox on the computer you want to link up to - which is not always practical.

I think i'm definitely going the buy the N900, but I think I will have to hold on to my 3GS until I have made my mind up as to what I like the best.

Please share your thoughts with me. What other things will benefit me by making the switch?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DannStarr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by DannStarr View Post
So, I've always been a fan of Nokia's, I like them unlocked and I hate anything a network operator can do to limit a phones functionality.

Recently I have owned, in this order; a T-Mobile G1, a Nokia N79, a Nokia 5800 XM and now an Iphone 3GS all within the last year.

Before I bought my iPhone, I really wanted to get an N97, but as I was coming from a 5800 and it was running the same OS as the N97 (which I find boring and laborious) I felt that the N97 wasn't going to offer me much more than I already had. Despite my hate for apple, because of all their restrictions, and my dislike of O2 for them failing to really offer a 3G service, I decided to get the 3GS.... of course mine is Jailbroken and unlocked and currently operating on the 3 network.

I've now owned this device for around 2 months and I have to say I love it. Since the jailbreak I have found that I can customise it probably further than I have any previous phone.

Why then do I find myself captivated by the N900? I really feel I want to sell my 3GS and buy the N900.... but would it be that smart of a move?

Let me share some of the things about my iphone that make me want to switch:

1. Signal strength... my home, as covered by three for 3G services comes under a "variable" quality area. On my Nokia's more often that not I would pick up a decent 3G signal in many rooms of the house, with the iphone this is limited to a couple of locations upstairs only, and is not consistent. I hope the N900 is as good as, if not better than my 5800 in this regard.

2. Lack of Flash support in browser.... although since jailbreak I have installed "imobilecinema" and can now view videos directly from the youtube site, it seems that many embedded videos are still not supported. I dont know why, but I imagine the N900 to support far more instances of embedded vids?

3. Duh, the lack of multi tasking - many times I have found myself needing this.

4. My 5800 was able to display widescreen format films across the whole of the screen, once converted. My iphone only seems to put 4:3 films up in full screen, widescreen ones lose too much viewing area with the black bars. Without getting too technical I believe the N900 will get me back to full screen?

5. I would really appreciate being able to the the N900 as a USB mass storage device... cant do on iphone unless you install something such as ifunbox on the computer you want to link up to - which is not always practical.

I think i'm definitely going the buy the N900, but I think I will have to hold on to my 3GS until I have made my mind up as to what I like the best.

Please share your thoughts with me. What other things will benefit me by making the switch?
Check this thread....

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=316975&postcount=1

Hi sachin007,

Yeah I saw your post there, and I liked it, although I did feel it was biased towards the N900... and being an iphone user I know that a couple of the things you mention there that an iphone cant do, it actually can... granted first you need to jailbreak

Do you know whether there will be any turn by turn navigation app for the N900? I've got tomtom for the 3GS and find it to be pretty good, it'd certainly be one reason not to ditch the iphone, but not sure of it being enough of a reason.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
i think i understood it right that the nokia maps would do turn by turn for free, but we should probably get that verified by someone else.

Posts: 3,524 | Thanked: 2,958 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Delta Quadrant
Realistically, I think you should try the unit before you make a decision. I think that the majority of the testimony from this site is not based on first-hand interaction with the N900 but based on enthusiasm and as such should be taken with pause.

}:^\~

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Ovi Maps is free, but the turn by turn feature has been traditionally a license thing, and not free. It may come with a trial though, and I heard walkilng directions will be free, but not sure how true that is.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
As an iPhone 3G user, a jailbroken iPhone - I did that to my iPhone 2G (1st Gen) but not my current 3G - is more featured laden than the original carrier based only iPhone.

And with my experience with the N810... even that's (jailbroken iPhone) not up to the same level of "what you can do" with Maemo. Therefore, if you're not too married to the iPhone 3GS - I have some Unity3D based projects that will keep me on the iPhone in at least as a dev for the next year, but some friends of mine have a TON of iTunes music they've purchased that was before the DRM-free days - I'd say switch.

Especially since you'd like to be able to manipulate the phone. I find jailbroken iPhones to be a honest step in the right direction in terms of not feeling like you're in some ultra-confined box; however it's still missing something. Namely... the next upgrade, it will invariably break that independence since Apple wants way too much damn control over your purchased phone... whereas the N900 seems to be that wide open road that most people with an ounce or two of technical savvy will love.

If the N900 ends up being close to what it's hyped to be - and offers a video communication and/or experience (for sharing) - then I'll be switching myself from the iPhone.

Oh... and the lack of true multi-tasking truly is a pain in the butt.

Last edited by gerbick; 2009-09-06 at 01:22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
I've currently got a iPhone and a HTC Hero (Android) and to be honest with you I'm not sure I will swap one or both devices with the N900, don't get me wrong I would love to but I can't bring my self to preorder one yet.

I really don't know why... maybe its the lack of media regarding the features of the phone, yes we have some foreign videos but the content of them is so painfully generic you can guess what they are saying.

So I suppose I was hyped for it when it was announced but the coverage from Nokia world was basically nonexistent (quite telling if you ask me) has deflated the gadget nerd inside of me. None of the features that we have seen have "wowed" me to the point of wanting to spend £500 on one.

Edit: And ill miss the trackball from my Hero... god I love that trackball.

Last edited by Ovek; 2009-09-06 at 09:28.

Thanks guys, some interesting views.

I think that when it comes down to it the nokia will be able to do far more as a device, but ease of use as become quite a big thing for me. Iwill get my hands on an n900, and if the ease of use is somewhere near the iPhone, then I can say good bye to apple. I just hope this nokia can live up to the hype

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on May 2008 @ France
I'd say buy the N900, try it for a week, and if you decide you prefer the iPhone, sell it here for a bit less than you bought it.
Since we all know you'll keep the N900, that's a reasonable solution.

The Following User Says Thank You to choubbi For This Useful Post:

Tags
n900 v. iphone 3gs war