Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I will get Estel's config files put into the image and re-uploaded.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Estel: what is the mysterious broken icon on the top panel?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
it is supposed to be (upgraded) orientation-switch. It *should* have proper icon, and result as switch between landscape, portrait, and portrait with virtual keyboard on-screen.

I suppose, that it's non-functioning at all, eh? It must've been something that also diden't live through image transfer. I'll try to search for script/icon and post it here in a moment.

Thanks for putting work into it and spotting errors!

/Estel

//Edit
Here it is (see attach.)! Sorry for troubles.
Attached Files
File Type: gz orientation-switch.tar.gz (2.4 KB, 74 views)
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-04-09 at 12:30.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Hi, is there any way to install ff11 (iceweasel 11) on ED? I tried adding experimental repos but it gave me broken dependencies, something about gtk. I also tried to extract the deb to a folder and run the binary but that didnt work either
I just started trying to dist-upgrade ED to Wheezy. I did not plan to release it before Wheezy is frozen but you have a point here that might make me reconsider that.
My intention was to create a very minimal image, mainly only consisting of LXDE and audio.
The idea was that somebody else with basic knowledge in Debian administration could easily remaster that image for end-users without having to throw out too much "sulu-specific" bloat.
Give me another week or two and I may be able to come up with an image where you can install a recent version of Iceweasel, Chromium or whatever! But since it will be a Testing image you'd have to use it with caution - usually the same caution that always comes with running Testing.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Does anyone know an easy way to post it, without - at the same time - providing users unnecessary cache of web sites visited by me, my cookies, encrypted password cache (sic), or other things? Of course, i mean other way than manually examining every file?...
I know no easy way to do that. But I always thought that it might be prudent to separate ED config files from Maemo config files. This could be reached by not bind-mounting Maemo's .config directory into ED. This on the other hand might bring other side effects that I haven't considered yet. Any thoughts on that?

BTW, wouldn't chromium, LibreOffice etc. rebuild it's config files to default, in case of lacking them? Maybe it's important to only post lxde, pcmanfm and things like that?
I think so. At least for chromium I know that's the case. Essentially my config archive only contains LXDE-related stuff.

I would really like to allow people hassle-free usage of my image (which may be felt - by many users - as preferred, due to already included LibreOffice instead of old OpenOffice, and fast Chromium instead of slow Iceweasel, + LXDE panels tweaked to fit N900 as much effectively as I was able to), yet, this whole config things start to become more complicated than work on image itself.
I totally agree. Do you remember which "bugs" your image had (and probably originated in mine) that should be addressed in a new release? I remember the missing /etc/groups.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
But the portrait mode is 'upside down' for me. No big deal, though.
I know. I did that intentionally because I always felt Maemo's portrait mode to be upside down.
But for the sake of consistency it's most likely better to have ED portrait mode in the same direction. I will keep that in mind for my next image.

If you want to change that on your own have a look at the orientation script (/usr/bin/orientation afair)! There you'll find xrandr commands where you'll just have to replace "left" with "right" (or vice versa, I'm not sure anymore).

As for the cool icon, could somebody please post the icon alone including it's full path? Personally I don't care for the icon but it would make sense to have it in my next image if it's really used the way I have in mind.

qole, Your version of sulu's image also contain /home/user totally separated from Maemo one, as You suggested (via script) some posts ago?
If that means what I think it means I might have missed an important development. Can I have a link to that discussion please?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
debbie vs. chroot

A quick question:

When I start Chromium with debbie (or from within LXDE), it never remembers my preferences. But if I start it in chroot, everything works fine.

Any ideas what is going on?

Here is the output when I start chroot.

/sbin/debian: /home/user/.chroot: line 1: : not found
Chroot dir specified: /.debian
/media/mmc1/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 specified in ~/.chroot
/.debian has a qmount already!
/media/mmc1/ed-squeeze-final.ext3 already mounted on /.debian...
Everything set up, running chroot...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by zlatokosi; 2012-04-10 at 12:38.

Originally Posted by sulu View Post
If that means what I think it means I might have missed an important development. Can I have a link to that discussion please?
sulu, if you are building a new image, please start with the one at qole.org. I have added the script that unmounts the Maemo /home/user directory (but keeps the MyDocs directory mounted), so that it uses the configuration files from within the image instead of the Maemo ones. This means that all of your settings will be maintained on all installations.

This is the method I used:

Ok, here's how to disconnect the image's /home/user directory from the Maemo version, allowing for per-image user settings.

Create a script in the image's /var/run directory called "onfirstchroot-ext.rc", or add the following lines to the existing script:

Code:
umount -f "$CHROOT/home/user/MyDocs"
umount -f "$CHROOT/home"
mount -o bind /home/user/MyDocs "$CHROOT/home/user/MyDocs"
If there are some settings directories you wish to share between the two environments, you can use the syntax of the last line (the "mount -o bind" line) to bind other home/user directories from Maemo to their corresponding directories in Debian.

Now you can copy all of your Debian application settings into the image's /home/user dir, and things will be the same on everybody's N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
As for the cool icon, could somebody please post the icon alone including it's full path? Personally I don't care for the icon but it would make sense to have it in my next image if it's really used the way I have in mind.
Don't get it wrong way, but it is attached to the post before Your post:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=2653

Good luck with Wheezy, it would be awesome to have such up-to-date version fully working, as with Squeeze!

Originally Posted by zlatokosi View Post
debbie vs. chroot

A quick question:

When I start Chromium with debbie (or from within LXDE), it never remembers my preferences.
I'm quite convinced, that You've started Chromium as root for the first time, so it's created it's config files with write permissions for root only. You need to manually delete chromium's config files and start it again as user ('debbie' method) - it will re-create config files - or, if You're sure that You know which file require what permissions exactly, You can manually chmod them (not recommended).
---

qole, dumb question mode again - will using You script (to separate Maemo's and ED's config files) on already populated image, cause need to move every ED's config file from /home/user/.config to ED equivalent, manually?

BTW, do You plans to do same thing to sulu's and mine image, before posting fixed versions of both?

Thanks for Your expertize and work on fixing Squeeze images, again.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Ok, here's how to disconnect the image's /home/user directory from the Maemo version, allowing for per-image user settings.

Create a script in the image's /var/run directory called "onfirstchroot-ext.rc", or add the following lines to the existing script:

Code:
umount -f "$CHROOT/home/user/MyDocs"
umount -f "$CHROOT/home"
mount -o bind /home/user/MyDocs "$CHROOT/home/user/MyDocs"
If there are some settings directories you wish to share between the two environments, you can use the syntax of the last line (the "mount -o bind" line) to bind other home/user directories from Maemo to their corresponding directories in Debian.

Now you can copy all of your Debian application settings into the image's /home/user dir, and things will be the same on everybody's N900.
That seems strange to me! First you mount Maemo's $HOME from the Easy Debian scripts in Maemo and then you unmount it again from within Easy Debian.
I see the advantage of not having to update the Easy Debian package, but it seems like a bad idea as a permanent solution to me.

I see three possible permanent solutions:
1. We stick with the old mixed $HOME (i.e. Maemo's $HOME mounted).
2. We go for two separated $HOME's by removing the mount command from the package's script.
3. We make this mount line optional, either via a comand line switch, a config file or some other method.

I'll vote for 3. but since I can't fully foresee the consequences (different settings leading to different side effects making support harder) I'd prefer 2. over 1. as a fallback.

The Following User Says Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
I prefer option 2, while configs remain separated the mass storage remains accesible in both.

Everytime I need a file from maemo in easy debian, I always stored it in MyDocs, besides I think it's cleaner to have them separated.
Imagine: What if you have installed program x in maemo and in ED, do they share the same config then?

Estel, I couldn't get your orientation switch working. chmod'ed +rwx
the binary but LXDE wouldn't want to update it's icon nor change orientation when clicked on...

Some offtopic: I have another maemo chroot, I always use qchroot and quserchroot to chroot into it, but I would like to have acces to the real MyDocs. What do I need to do to make that happen, looks like I need a small script for that?

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Damn, by placing proper .desktop icon in correct place inside ED image, You - basically - create program shortcut (available from LXDE panel). .desktop file is pointing to correct file in /usr/bin (orientation script), and to correct icon. You should be even able to remove this icon from panel, then, add it again manually from scratch, as it's listed in Ed programs shortcuts.

So, what could go wrong in Your case? Are You sure, that location of all files are correct, i.e. no 'duplicated' paths, etc?

Anyone else having this problem?

/Estel

// Edit

I also think, that sulu's proposed option 2 is best - if someone want shared $HOME, she/he can always set it in script executed on every chroot. Default settings should be different home's.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze