Posts: 11 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Trst - Trieste, Italy
evad: You get the third level with the Fn key, not with the Ctrl!!!

I tried to reconfigure the Polish keyboard "my way". I had no troubles setting the dead keys for the requested characters... Three worked just fine (dead_abovedot, dead_ogonek and dead_acute), but the fourth didn't (dead_stroke). So you could use those (to avoid the uncomfortable typing of ą) but still have to map something to get the the Ł

Maybe's just this bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2259. Should we fill it for Fremantle?

About the fourth level: have you tried to map Shift+Fn as fourth level? That way you'll keep the virtual keyboard and still get an additional level...

Last edited by Mitja; 2009-12-27 at 17:16.

Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Originally Posted by Mitja View Post
evad: You get the third level with the Fn key, not with the Ctrl!!! ;)
I know. :) Take a look into my rx-51 file and notice that I changed behaviour of Ctrl key in 3rd level. Instead of Multi_key I do Mode_switch and then in Polish layout section (xkb_symbols "pl") I assign symbols to the second group, accessible after mode switch done by Fn+Ctrl combination.

The only bit I don't know how to achieve is that I need to hold Fn+Ctrl to get to that second group. I can't make it "stick" until the next key is pressed. :(

I tried to reconfigure the Polish keyboard "my way". I had no troubles setting the dead keys for the requested characters... Three worked just fine (dead_abovedot, dead_ogonek and dead_acute), but the fourth didn't (dead_stroke). So you could use those (to avoid the uncomfortable typing of ą) but still have to map something to get the the Ł :(
How do you exactly do it in "your way"? Could you share bits from your rx-51 that would show that?

Maybe's just this bug: https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=2259. Should we fill it for Freemantle?
I don't know how to recreate this, so dont know whether that's a bug or not.

About the fourth level: have you tried to map Shift+Fn as fourth level? That way you'll keep the virtual keyboard and still get an additional level...
Yes, that's what I'd thought and in theory 4th level should be accessible by Fn+Shift, as Fn acts as RALT and always switches 3rd level on and then Shift always raises current level by 1, so 3+1=4. I've studied xkb conf files end-to-end and that's how it should work, so I guess it's another platform bug?

Besides, I came to conclusion that putting Polish chars to the 4th level (ie. accessible by Fn+Ctrl) doesn't make sense, as I wouldn't be able to type uppercase letters, I think.

How do you exactly do it in "your way"? Could you share bits from your rx-51 that would show that?
Here you go:

Code:
partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "pl" {
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(english_base)"
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(arrows_4btns)"

name[Group1] = "Polish";

// 1. row
    key <AB08>	{ [	dead_stroke,	dead_acute,	dead_ogonek,	dead_ogonek	] };
    // 2. row
    key <AB09>	{ [	period,		comma,		dead_abovedot,	dead_abovedot	] };
};
I don't know how to recreate this, so dont know whether that's a bug or not.
Just try... the dead_stroke won't work... you'll get nothing more than the letter you type afterwards
Maybe they haven't implemeted it yet...
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6887

Yes, that's what I'd thought and in theory 4th level should be accessible by Fn+Shift, as Fn acts as RALT and always switches 3rd level on and then Shift always raises current level by 1, so 3+1=4. I've studied xkb conf files end-to-end and that's how it should work, so I guess it's another platform bug?
I need some more time to look into it... maybe we can fix it somehow...

Posts: 53 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I have attached my edited rx-51 file for the US version. Make sure you backup your rx-51 file first before making any changes to it.

Also test the new settings using:
Code:
setxkbmap us
Do this before rebooting since a small mistake in the rx-51 file will cause your n900 to hang endlessly at boot.

I added the following keyboard mappings:

Fn + Up = Page up
Fn + Down = Page down
Fn + Left = Home
Fn + Right = End
Fn + Backspace = Tab

Many small laptops have the "FN + arrow keys" mapped this way so I am already used to it.

Shaq
Attached Files
File Type: zip rx-51.zip (4.0 KB, 227 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to born2wonder For This Useful Post:
Posts: 354 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ London (UK) / Zielona Góra (PL)
Here you go:

Code:
partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "pl" {
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(english_base)"
    include "nokia_vndr/rx-51(arrows_4btns)"

name[Group1] = "Polish";

// 1. row
    key <AB08>	{ [	dead_stroke,	dead_acute,	dead_ogonek,	dead_ogonek	] };
    // 2. row
    key <AB09>	{ [	period,		comma,		dead_abovedot,	dead_abovedot	] };
};
OK, I get it now. Unfortunately, that's not quite convenient as different keyboard combinations are required for different chars.

Just try... the dead_stroke won't work... you'll get nothing more than the letter you type afterwards :(
Maybe they haven't implemeted it yet...
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6887
Yes, I confirm - dead_stroke doesn't work.

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by pemoz View Post
Hi Alex would it be possible for you to give me detailed information as to how I can make my own Icelandic keyboard and apply that to my N900

Kveðja
Pétur
Pétur,

Fylgdu eftir því sem að er á fyrstu 5 innslögunum á þessum þræði.

Það dugði mér til þess að setja upp lyklaborðið á mínum síma, og síðar síma pabba.

Kv. Óli

Originally Posted by evad View Post
OK, I get it now. Unfortunately, that's not quite convenient as different keyboard combinations are required for different chars.
Yes, but you get more different characters with fewer keys In my case is absolutely the best way as I need different dead keys while typing in different languages... and the modifiers stay the same...

Regarding the fourth level: I've discovered that the default "FOUR LEVEL ALPHABETIC" scheme reaches the fourth level via shift or caps lock: you basically have two levels + two capitalized versions of the very same letters. But we could change it to a plain "FOUR LEVEL" scheme: this way you should reach the fourth level via shift + Fn.

Regarding the fourth level: I've discovered that the default "FOUR LEVEL ALPHABETIC" scheme reaches the fourth level via shift or caps lock: you basically have two levels + two capitalized versions of the very same letters. But we could change it to a plain "FOUR LEVEL" scheme: this way you should reach the fourth level via shift + Fn. :D
I think I've tried that (change type to FOUR_LEVEL) and it still didn't work...

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Corunha
Guys, I have created a wiki page explaining how to remap some hardware keys.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Remapping_keyboard

Feel free to post your tips there.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Alberto Garcia For This Useful Post:
i'm having some troubles on remapping. i copied the /usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/nokia_vndr/rx-51 and pasted it in leafpad. i changed ssharp -> otilde and copied after that. i pasted it in x terminal and i got many errors:
-sh: cannot open (e.g)FK01: no such file
-sh: key not found
and also: -sh: //: Permission denied
what should i do and what did i do wrong