I took a new data plan with AT&T, for my N900. If I am trying to make a call, the data plan is getting disconnected, i,e I am unable to browse the net while talking on the phone. Is it something related to the type of plan, or is it some settings issue.

However I can browse and talk while on WIFI.

Did any one have the same issue. Any solution ...

Thank you .

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
That's because it cannot use 3G on AT&T. You need 3G to use call and data at the same time on AT&T. Your only option is to change to T-Mobile or use a different phone if you require this functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
You don't have 3G data service with AT&T and your N900, only 2G or 2.5G (Edge) service. No data + simultaneous calling without 3G.

Verizon customers even with 3G service have the same problem - no data service while making calls. It's a limitation of the CDMA system.

If you go to T-Mobile 3G service you can surf + call in areas where 3G service is available.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
There's simultaneous data on 2g too, but hardly any operator supports it. AT&T doesn't. The ones that do are typically newcomers with fresh modern equipment, think emerging markets.

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
ATT is the worst service provider. go with T-mobile.

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ NJ, USA
Hi Friends,
This is my attempt for answering many questions about N900 Operating frequency, connectivity and data network availability (3G, 2.5G. Edge, GPRS, At&t etc).
Most of the users realize that the phone they just purchased has no 3G coverage in their country or carrier later. So reading this post before buying N900 or any smart phone may help you.

Read my blog post here.

Be careful before making a big purchase like N900. Don't get disappointed later.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by BigBadGuber! View Post
ATT is the worst service provider. go with T-mobile.
ATT is same as Rogers here in Canada.......no 3G via n900 (yet though) and kinda suck!

if I am correct (please someone correct me if wrong) ATT supports 850/1900/2100 mhz HSDPA not sure on the 2100 part though, the n900 can run on 900/1700/2100 mhz freqs......so.......IDK.....does not work

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Last edited by gabby131; 2010-09-16 at 21:21.