Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
As just discussed on maemo-users, there's an FM radio in the N800 - and a new Nokia application under development to use it:

http://www.maemopeople.org/index.php.../n800_fm_radio

Who should I curse, Nokia or myself?
I promised myself that no N800 till it gets a good case to be portable (worry free), plus serious stability issues are resolved.
Then, everyday, something is coming up, which make keeping that promise harder and more painful...
But, I won't give in, just yet; so damn it; damn Nokia, and yeah, damn me...

WTF?

Are you kidding me?
I read somewhere in the www that it was a sensation when somebody found a hidden microphone in the n770...people where not expecting to find such a surprise on the n800. But, a whole FM Unit!??!? Again...WTF!?!?
A quicklook on my calender tells me, it is not the first of april... Hmm nice try, you are so funny, man

Wow, this is hilarious, considering our recent conversation about the N800 and convergence; see the "How many radios do you have?" thread, in which I jokingly commented, "ironically, the Nokia 770/n800 doesn't have an AM/FM radio." Boy was I way off! Well, half off, since it's only an FM radio?

Seriously, though, I don't see myself wanting to listen to FM on my Internet Tablet. Internet Radio is acceptable, but my online music collection is even better.

The Following User Says Thank You to gnuite For This Useful Post:
It works! Now I only need a way of starting the radio from the calendar, and I can abandon my fruitless search for a replacement for my old broken LCD travel clock radio.

(The volume is a bit low though? I have all volumes at full..)

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Fishers, Indiana
In regards to streaming internet radio, it's a great idea but it seems to be limited a great deal by the 770/n800 battery life. I get a very limited listening time when using internet radio (maybe my battery is too old). However... With a built-in FM radio I can simply plug in a FM transmitter to my computer and stream away for a long, long time. Granted, you can do the same thing with a FM radio but this way there's one device to read books, surf the net, check your email-- and listen to whatever on the radio. I like it! Listening to my computer right now and it's very nice.

Larry

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Wierd... FM radio? I listen to internet radio stations on the N800 and I haven't listened to an FM station in about 6 years. I suppose it may be useful when out & about (assuming you don't have SD cards full of audio or an unlimited mobile phone data connection), though not for me as most FM stations in London are rubbish!

I like it as well... i won't use it all the time, but every once in a while I'll find this REALLY useful when I'm stranded in a hotel with nothing good on tv, and no radio and I can listen to NPR... awesome

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Looks like the earlier speculation here was spot-on.

EDIT: can't pick up a single station here at work.

The app sure could use a means of manually entering station numbers. Scanning and incrementally clicking don't quite cut it...

Last edited by Texrat; 2007-02-07 at 16:24.

I've always used an FM clock radio when travelling (I can't stand alarm tones for wakeup). You can't expect to find free wi-fi Internet in all hotels all over the world.. it's a quite rare find in fact. So I welcome this! (In particular if some additional coding can make this a clock radio, not just a radio..)