Notices

Hello everyone,

I wanted to get an idea out there.

None of my electronics work with QtIrecco.
I know the IR port of the n900 doesn't support input, but the n900 has two cameras. These cameras can easily pick up IR.

How difficult would it be to read a remote's IR signal using a camera built in the n900 and perhaps making a config file for QtIrreco?

I would envision that there would be crosshairs overlaid on the camera's view and that it would read the brightness from that point so that you could center the remote on that point. A threshold algorithm could be used to convert the brightness into a digital signal. It may work better in dark places, but it would be super useful to me.

I do not have the ability to code the above, but was hoping that someone else might be able to do it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Crust For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 183 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Campinas, SP, Brazil
It seems possible. I just tested the camera with the IR Remote Control of my TV set and it showed a bright white light when I pressed the button. We'd just have to know if the camera is fast enough to get the frequence emitted by the IR Control to "train" it for our purposes.

This would be of great use since I have a handful of Remote Controls which are not registered in lircdb.

The cameras pick up the signals from all my remotes as well.
The remotes don't seem to be blinking that fast, so I think it can be done, but it may be an optical illusion.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
This would be very good as none of my controls are supported either

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Wow, great idea. Now all we need is someone who can actually do it.

Someone has mentioned before that at 30fps there is no way the camera can read the data fast enough for such purposes.

Lets put it this way, 30fps = about 30Hz, 1Hz = 1 cycle per second so 30 frames would be thirty cycles per second.

Standard consumer IR devices however have modulation speeds of 35-38kilohertz, or about what, a thousand times faster than the camera is capable of seeing.

Last edited by t7g; 2010-03-27 at 16:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to t7g For This Useful Post:
Posts: 104 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Toulouse, France
guess what ?
none of my controlers are supported either....

i'd really like this learning codes feature !

The camera may be 30 fps, but I believe that the pixels are updated at different times. If you pull the data from the pixel level instead of the frame level, won't you have enough temporal resolution? For example, if you aim a remote control at the camera, you'll have millions of pixels updating at different times, won't you?

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
None of my remotes is supported either, but I have a USB IR receiver/transmitter for my PC. What's the easy path to capture the signals and get the configuration onto N900 qtirreco? I tried looking at lirc, but couldn't figure it out, besides, I'd rather do it on Windows...
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

The Following User Says Thank You to magnuslu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Austria, Amstetten
wtf?? ir port dont support input?? so i am not able to send pics from an old phone with ir only to my n900?!? sry but how stupid is that??

19 Lockerz.com Invites Left -- PM me if you need one...

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7...enixsiggi1.gif @ mods plz allow me that pic....

The Following User Says Thank You to ~phoenix~ For This Useful Post: