Active Topics

Meeting held on FreeNode, channel #maemo-meeting (logs)

Attending: Ruediger Schiller (chem|st), Jussi Ohenoja (juiceme).

Absent:

Summary of topics (ordered by discussion):
- Discussion on arranging the next Maemo Council election
- Discussion on maemo.gitorious.org

Topic (Discussion on arranging the next Maemo Counco election):

• Juiceme has made the announcement of the election.
  • Woody has been very helpful and provided juiceme assistance on running the voting machine.
  • Juiceme has not yet had time to create a test election.
Topic (Discussion on maemo.gitorious.org):

• HiFo was contacted by Nokia/Microsoft about the use of maemo.gitorious.org to the Maemo community and if it needs to be kept alive in this way as they want to discontinue the contract with gitorious.org.
  • Chem|st approached Gitorious' staff about possible solutions working out for us and Techstaff is looking into proper backups of these gits and hosting them our own.
Action Items:
  • N/A

Link: Original article.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to CommunityCouncil For This Useful Post:
whilst contacting about gitorious its a shame they can't also bring up remaining closed source stock apps like gallery and contacts for example.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I myself believe it is waste of time, but what about HiFo/CC/Verein asking Nokia/MS about their thoughts for future of Harmattan and availability of repos (e.g. SDK?) and firmware and so on ...
(besides the need of work to be handled on community side)

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
They are not willing to give us any sort of licensing to redistribute their binaries, not even those holding Nokia licenses only.

For the sources applies the same I guess but I will bring that up again.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
They are not willing to give us any sort of licensing to redistribute their binaries, not even those holding Nokia licenses only.
harmatten is supposed to be supported till 2015 na ? Maybe they consider something but they wont at the end its all buisness

Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Originally Posted by chemist View Post

That includes Fremantle stuff and things that Nokia are no longer hosting that are still needed by the community?

The Following User Says Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
...We are not allowed to host/have/share Nokia binaries? We can't provide firmwares? Fine.

So, if (MS) Nokia is the only subject allowed to share this kind of contents, they should provide a support page for our devices N770, N800, N810, N900.

I'm not talking about 1 million of products, and sincerely i really can't see why there should still exist a support page for a Nokia N70 from 2005 (http://www.nokia.com/it-it/supporto/prodotti/n70/) and not a page for the N810.
I don't think that host the related files would need a big effort from both the economical and the technical point of view of the problem.

This situation must be defined once and for all.

Or ...should i suppose that (MS) Nokia needs to receive an email with a support request from ALL the owners of a Maemo device just to check how many of us are still using these devices?

Last edited by xes; 2014-05-19 at 18:07. Reason: Better description

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xes For This Useful Post: