Active Topics

Notices

I have them on my home computer as well as a mirror to download them, I can post tonight if nobody else gets it first.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swordfish II For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Swordfish II View Post
I have them on my home computer as well as a mirror to download them, I can post tonight if nobody else gets it first.
Do you still have them? My N900 is now in the "boot-loop".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Galt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,101 | Thanked: 1,929 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Here you are:

http://mirrors.muarf.org/maemo/tablets-dev/nokia_N900/

First just try to flash the kernel from a firmware to get your current setup booted, hopefully.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 187 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
I know it is old thread but the topic is up-to-day. After cleaning my room I've found olnd n900 board. Thought it was dead but I decided to give it a try. Mounted it into case, plug the battery in and... It's starts but like it was connected to the charger no lit screen only nokia logo. Than it started booting. did 2 revelations through those five dots we all know. Then turned of. After few seconds turned on again and so, got into boot loop.

Yes I already flashed it, with many different images and so on. No change. flashing was a bit strange cause of this plug out plug in but doable.

Problem still stays, but there is a way to turn on the phone.

Remove battery. Push and hold power button, insert battery. Phone starts and works perfectly.

I really don't care about the shape of my 7th n900 but I'm curious what and why can cause the problem when phone itself can work fine...

Sorry I do care. It could be another saved and fully operational n900.

In addition: When phone is on and I do reboot through terminal it boots up normally.

Last edited by Ridd92; 2018-04-28 at 09:12.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 187 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
So we still stuck? Maybe the is some workaround?

Please guys you all helped me so many times and I still do believe in this community.

Let's bring up our best game Tell me what to do, what to test, maybe we can start with something?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Lemberg
Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
Remove battery. Push and hold power button, insert battery. Phone starts and works perfectly.
In other time I'd say it's total nonsense and it doesn't matter when to push the power button - before or after the battery. But just now I've "fixed" mine N900 and got completely confused.

some prelude before I tell my solution. I bought my N900 back in the day of 2010 and all of this time I got used to have it as my main phone since nothing of the "new league" insterests me (except, maybe, Moto Z + keyboard slider mod. but let them first finally put it into production). so this phone is with me literally 8 years and it lasted longer than all of my ex-girlfriends all together. but nothing lasts forever. a few months ago I've stepped on charger cable and my phone hit the floor. of course, the usb port broke down (as I see, it lasted too long in comparison to average on this forum). so no charging. my hands are not accurate enough to solder it so I gave it to some lousy repairmen, but both times newly soldered usb port lasted some few days. so I bougth some worn up ancient Nokia 5230 (or 5320??) to use is as the wall charger.

so today I had a call and damn it the recaller froze just in the middle of the call (it happens, just reboot after the call so it don't hold your hildon desktop, notifications and drain battery). and simply 'just in time' the battery drains. so I just insert another fully-charged battery and here we go: push power button, get the nokia logo _immediately_ after the push, see it for few seconds, blank screen, led shows yellow (or white) and fades out. repeat. and no usb port to reflash. I cry

but, I really blame the lame repairmen, because after their lousy usb port soldering I got the following issue: start the camera - get the error. try to use flashlight - get same error. reboot - no use. battery off - no use. complete disassemble, touch mainboard components and cables gently - wow, camera's back online 0_0 so maybe the repairmen simply short-circuited something or I don't know.

so my last resort was the same - complete torndown (except the slide part - no need to take the screen out of it's frame). so again, i've touch my finger to all board components, get it back in one piece and wow - it boots back up. maybe it's no so firmware problem but the hardware. maybe, my mainboard is slowly dying, I dunno. but so far I've managed to make it live again. I really hope it won't happen again and get infinite-looped anymore. it's really scary, especially when you're depressed enough it can impact you even more...

btw, maybe the battery swapping (instead of charging) is the case. I can't recall previously my phone was showing nokia logo and vibrating _immediately_ when I put the battery in (not pressing any buttons!). also, once it was infinite looping with a completely drained battery (I've missed the moment when it turned off; after turning off it started to loop the following sequence: "vibrate - nokia logo - black screen - repeat"). but after replacing to a charged battery it booted correctly. so I guess swapping batteries too often might be the problem. so try no to wait until it drains all the way down and prefer soft power off and battery replace instead of making it to turn off because of complete draining).

no fingers, only stylo. oldschool.

The Following User Says Thank You to shaihkritzer For This Useful Post:

Tags
boot-loop, maemo 5