Poll: would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?
Poll Options
would you like to have BackTrack 5 on your n900?

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I can wait

Why format mass, its good the way it is by default 28GB of FAT which can be read from every pc. Let the removable memory do the dirty jobs as they can be removed.

Let me find a 8GB card also, althoug I dont come as far you would come. Hope I can find some card :P
Do you have a Linux desktop? I'm afraid it will be needed to repartition the sd card and write the image to it...

Edit: or not :P I have an idea, but it needs to wait at least till tommorow

Last edited by misiak; 2011-05-10 at 21:59.

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
Do you have a Linux desktop? I'm afraid it will be needed to repartition the sd card and write the image to it...
Not yet :P N900 introduced me to linux and I liked it but last time I tried to install ubuntu (dualboot) the installer crashed lol. I don't feel to format my HDD en start with linux only, also I tried the new unity livecd but it lags too much. So need to find a 10.10 image and make my usb bootable again and try again :P Or if you have any other suggestion for a other distro ur welcome. Remember I am quite a beginner but I can learn really fast( some gift from heaven) and want to have a customizable distro

Posts: 135 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Buenos Aires, Argentina
Please, everyone who is trying to boot it, update in this thread the progress of it.
I find it REALLY important to take it as a new project like NITDroid. Making Backtrack 5 usable with customized drivers for N900 chipsets would be a milestone for this NIT model.

I dont get it why they release it for the xoom without custom drivers. N900 is already capable of packet injection and then the take the xoom:
http://www.offensive-security.com/ba...motorola-xoom/

read that, they only can run it at chroot yet and dont use custom drivers. Also I heard ubuntu had drivers for ARM and PowerVR SGX, so it could be possible to use these drivers for BT5 too.
Shouldn't we contact the BT team to tell that the n900 is a nice target too :P

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Will this even work if it's compiled and designed for the xoom?

Our tools are just fine anyway Port the tools we don't have
Just make Maemo into the ultimate hacking OS by porting all the tools we need love live Maemo!

(Although I will download and try boot. Looks nice!)

Last edited by kingoddball; 2011-05-11 at 05:18.

The Following User Says Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
That will do it for me also :P We already have the important ones like aircrack-ng, kismet, wireshark, nmap. But technically it should also be possible to run that image in a chroot and use the n900 drivers. load injection driver and then load the chroot, what about that?

I am new to backtrack, can any one pls tell me the key features / applications which can use on n900 if we install it... bcos spending 5GB of space should be of good use, will this OS detect Wifi / 3G?

Thanks in advance!!!

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
I will try to do it the same way But my NITDroid is also on my external card. I really don't feel like repartitioning internal eMMC memory... If I succeed, I will write detailed step by step instruction on how to do it with memory card and be used with multiboot and point what you should change to install it on eMMC. But I will not test it on eMMC myself
karam said that it's impossible to mount it bcoz of it's size so try it on ur MicroSD

Originally Posted by karam View Post
it is not possible to mount it like nitdroid cause nitdroid is mounted to the mmcblk0p2
(optfs) nitdroid is not more than 100 mb so that is fine but bt5.img is 5gb so it is only possible with >4gb sd card or hexing the emmc.bin bafore flashing n900 to make the optfs from 2gb(default) till 9gb>(anysize) or repartitioning the mmcblk0p1 (MyDocs) and this is pretty dangerous but i have tried it before and no problems
if i use the script which gives me all of the internal memory http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=768794&postcount=1
i think this way will let me mount it from eMMC right?

Last edited by fatcobrah; 2011-05-11 at 05:58.

Its a penetration testing OS which includes all security related tools like aircrack-ng and zenmap, wireshark. You can also say its a hacking os, but pentesting sounds better

If you will manage to boot or chroot it we would be really happy

The Following User Says Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 182 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
I dont get it why they release it for the xoom without custom drivers.
Shouldn't we contact the BT team to tell that the n900 is a nice target too :P
dont wast ur time ! they wont listen to u
they want bt5 to run on the xoom
as they said:
"we have got a modified version of an Ubuntu 10.04 ARM image, chrooted on a Motorola Xoom. The tablet is running a modified, overclockable kernel (from 1.0 to 1.5 GHz) "

so does bt5 need at least 1.5 GHz to be stable ?

Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Will this even work if it's compiled and designed for the xoom?

Our tools are just fine anyway Port the tools we don't have
Just make Maemo into the ultimate hacking OS by porting all the tools we need love live Maemo!

(Although I will download and try boot. Looks nice!)
nice but it's amazing to see the full image working on the n900