Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Bluefoot, are you by chance based in Helsinki or Tampere area in Finland?

My problem with your posts (and why I don't answer them as often) is that you often get a lot of things right but also horribly wrong many times - and explaining all those facets can be quite time-consuming for me, that I'd rather spend with my family in the evening instead of explaining.

I don't think you get things wrong from point of view of analysis - you seem quite capable in that area, but that you don't have all the data needed to do a full analysis and have a full understanding.

Consider this post a voucher for a few free beverages with me if I'm in same town as you at some point and let's talk about mobile business in general.

EDIT: And if you're way too far out of the way for this ever being a likelihood, come talk to me on IRC, irc.freenode.net, nickname "Stskeeps"
I'm not, though I was in Helsinki last summer seeing a girlfriend. Nice place when the sun's shining. Enjoyed my time there, and particularly the cakes and ice cream at Café Kokko.

Of all the things I posted, I'm not particularly sure why you highlighted my story about the E4.5 source other than that it involved you. It was used to illustrate the fact that UT devs tend to be very responsive to any serious queries, feedback or contributions aimed at them (personally & institutionally) & do it in the open, and because it was a case that quite a few posters here would already be familiar with. If I got some kind of minor technicality wrong re: the case, then it's probably because it's several months ago, and it doesn't really make the point any less valid.

From the tenor of your response, I assume you find (some of) my posts a mixture of very frustrating and interesting or insightful. Of course I get things wrong, particularly details ... but then all of us are working on ridiculously scant information. If you think the overall conclusions I come to or analysis I post have some kind of ring of truth or strike close to home, then maybe act accordingly rather than wishing I knew more (either about Jolla or soft/hardware generally) and came to a different conclusion.

I won't say no to your invitation, it's very kind, but I think it's unlikely to happen soon as I have a pretty full schedule of travel for most of the rest of the year.

In the mean time, I agree with some of the other posters ... whilst it's not in your job description to be a font of product information, I'm sure everyone would be fascinated to know why nothing of the tablet has been shown for 4 months (or even the software, if the hardware is in a dysfunctional state) and what's going on. It'd be much more productive for everyone than either engaging me in discourse or chewing me out.

P.S. My 'job' has effectively been making relatively accurate analysis from highly imperfect data (and my imp. knowledge) ... or at least more accurate than most other people trying.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-07-02 at 16:47.

Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
You have things mixed up again. I highlighted the very clear difference between the Russians claiming that open-sourcing everything would be complete by the end of July (and SFv2.0) and Jolla saying there was a roadmap / we'll talk soon etc. It was plainly apparent that there would be no major progress soon. He refused to accept there was any difference, went into a rage and started trolling.
You mean this 'rage' (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...0&postcount=16 )?
Lol, just lol, haters gonna hate, here you have jolla officially state they will open whole of _their_ source, bbbbut mah narrative, russian minister who cares??? This article has jolla as source not some russian official, go hate harder
After tried to suggest (or maybe was just ignorant, or maybe baiting) UI is third party component that will not be open sourced?
You can refresh your memory of that thread, you claimed jolla has not officially corroborated russian guys' statement, were provided with jolla official confirming, then you went on to suggest UI will not be part of the roadmap. Twisty

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I highlighted the very clear difference between the Russians claiming that open-sourcing everything would be complete by the end of July (and SFv2.0) and Jolla saying there was a roadmap / we'll talk soon etc. It was plainly apparent that there would be no major progress soon.
See now you're saying something different, here's what you suggested the exchange was about in your last post:

But, but, the Russian guy claimed the process would start in June and it'd all be open by the close of July with the release of 2.0 :-o The usual suspects here jumped in to claim that was the word of god, and non-committal statements (to the contrary) by Saarnio and others at Jolla ("info soon" / "not ready to talk about it") must surely be misunderstandings. Does this mean we won't have a fully open OS by the end of this month? Some people here must be shocked at this turn of events.
Now you're saying it was about the conflict of official lines between the two parties, in that last post you suggested that users (szopin) were already taking as "gospel" the Russian gov't's line, that it was coming in ~June & would be done by ~July.

He refused to accept there was any difference, went into a rage and started trolling. I pointed this out because the rhetoric / PR-line was again significantly different between the two parties, not because it required any deductive capacity to come to the conclusion that the Russian claim was horseshit.
As I recall, he was merely addressing your (quite correct) attack on the claims for opening the remainder of SF by ~July by saying: "But that's the Russian official's words, these are the official Jolla peoples words, they're what matter, see here." He wasn't getting that you were making a point about the different msg both parties were conveying, as that was already obvious to him. You both seemed to be talking across 2 different points, he kept saying: "Ignore that Russian statement, here's the official line!" (he clearly thought you hadn't realised that yet), & you kept saying: "Yeah, but look at the discrepancies between the two parties!"

Reading it back, I don't think he was disagreeing that the Russian position was rubbish, & that there'd be no major progress within the time-line that the Russian minister was suggesting. He was just saying: "Look, a Jolla leader has said for the 1st time that Jolla has a time-line for opening the remainder of SF (of what they can), & that they'll share more soon!", he wasn't merging/conflating the two different lines.

Last edited by jalyst; 2015-07-02 at 18:07.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
See now you're saying something different, here's what you claimed the exchange was about in your last post:

Now you're saying it was about the conflict of official lines between the two parties, in that last post you suggested that users (szopin) were already taking as "gospel" the Russian gov't's line, that it was coming in ~June & would be done by ~July.

As I recall he was merely trying to correct your (quite correct) attack on the claims for June/July delivery for opening the remainder of SF by saying: "But that's the Russian official's words, these are the official Jolla peoples words, they're what matter, see here".
Not sure what's going on here and who is what and why. But I would remind that Jolla promised to open UI before phone launch and but we are still where we were few years ago

No conjecture there.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Exciting month ahead! Thank you jolla!

https://blog.jolla.com/jolla-iteration-5

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-07-02 at 17:52.

Sometimes Dave, I just wanna (breaks out into Rick Astley) ;-P

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
Let me point out that the "lack of communication problem" is your perception, and perhaps that of other people. I am perfectly happy with the level of communcation that they've provided thus far. At the very least, it's a lot more information than larger organisations are prepared to give you. Whether it's ideal or not is another matter, but I'm perfectly happy as a backer.

On another subject:
https://twitter.com/JaakkoRoppola/st...72640543830016
https://twitter.com/Vilhartti/status/616575731515174912

EDIT: fixed 2nd twitter link
If you have time to go through tweets of somehow related to Jolla people and you follow blogs, articles and speculations from fan site, to go through forums and TJC — good for you. But i would expect to have one proper source and that source should be updated.

On matter of "you are okay" of things as they are... Your choice. As well as most people okay with microsoft, a lot of people okay with NSA spying on them, okay with a lot of things. It doesn't make it right. And if several sailors, a lot of fans and contributors and even Jolla itself tells you that they were bad at communication, than at least listen to them, not me
And again i asked the question, proper question about holidays and timelines and i dare you to find me proper answer from any official information. As well as can you tell me if there is new display and what display was chosen. Are all block problems for release are resolved?
And if you okay of Jolla delaying for even half year, some people are not. While two months delay somehow can be okay, waiting more only means that you pre-ordered really overprices gadget that you still did not get. As we all know that every 3-6 months there are new and new phones and tablets with higher specs which makes current HW cheaper and cheaper. (maybe even Jolla waiting to get discount deals for end of season deals :P ).
Anyway if you okay with given information and if jolla is better than few evil companies, doesn't mean there are no better companies and there is no place for improvement. As well it doesn't mean that it's the right way they handle things.
Again, i'll remind you about the meetings, i think you would agree that they are great thing, and i would remind that they were made because of rant "lack of communication". Btw pay attention that they are not so active lately and mostly coz of lack of users. As most active users, with ideas, spirit to improve and change and active maemo users, did not wait for Jolla to finally "get down to earth, to us mortal" and they moved on somewhere else. You can argue as much as you can, but there are not that much devs for Jolla . No 3rd parties apps. And even not talking about paid apps, where Jolla started that famous thread and ignored it (for year+ ?). 3rd party devs look at those things, they wouldn't rant or whine, but they would not develop any apps too

Also I gave you a lot of examples of lack of communication, while you keep telling "it's okay for me", then please provide me examples of good communication... And do not tell "they told about delay" as they HAD to, especially when it's second time. And do not tell me about roadmap that was introduced years after release and mostly it;s changelog

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Sometimes Dave, I just wanna (breaks out into Rick Astley) ;-P
Just imagine if I was head of blog posts at jolla. They would have a market value that would make apple jealous...

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

snip
No I didn't change position .. if you can't see the first quote is dripping in sarcasm, sorry, but I refuse to use inane /s tags.

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund