Active Topics

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
And soon (once implemented in Profilematic) we'll also be able to enable/disable this scanning based on condition/state of BT streaming?
I have no personal need for this (no Bluetooth devices) so I'm unsure what is needed and what not. My intent was to do a condition like the existing WLAN/NFC where you could collect Bluetooth devices, so that the condition would trigger when the device is paired.

But I've ran into trouble implementing even that, as I can't seem to get the information about when Bluetooth devices are paired with phone:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86870

So I'm currently unsure if I can implement this to ProfileMatic or not.

*actually IIRC WiFi scanning should cease when connected via WiFi right? So scanning only needs to be disabled when connected via 3G or GPRS
I think it continues just the same even if connected, but I'm going by memory here so I can be wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I have no personal need for this (no Bluetooth devices) so I'm unsure what is needed and what not. My intent was to do a condition like the existing WLAN/NFC where you could collect Bluetooth devices, so that the condition would trigger when the device is paired.
But I've ran into trouble implementing even that, as I can't seem to get the information about when Bluetooth devices are paired with phone:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=86870
So I'm currently unsure if I can implement this to ProfileMatic or not.
Bummer, I was hoping we could set conditions based on the BT profile being used...
As I'm not sure whether certain BT uses would be affected by WiFi scanning in the same way that A2DP streaming is.
Maybe they all are to some extent? In which case it'd be more prudent to set conditions based on whether BT is: "off", "on" or "on & visible".
I think condition based on whether device is paired or not is way too generic, you usually only need to pair a BT device once :-/

I think it continues just the same even if connected, but I'm going by memory here so I can be wrong.
Really? Wow that's so stupid... >.> O-o
Sometimes I wonder what was going through the Nokia engineers heads!

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Bummer, I was hoping we could set conditions based on the BT profile being used...
I know really badly about Bt use cases so I gladly listen to ideas to see what's possible. Of course at the same time I'd like to make as generic condition as possible, so that it would be flexible for different use cases.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought having a condition on defined Bluetooth device would be such flexible condition.

Maybe they all are to some extent? In which case it'd be more prudent to set conditions based on whether BT is: "off", "on" or "on & visible".
That one at least would be possible. But I would avoid such a condition if there are alternatives, since there is action for putting Bluetooth off/on/on&visible. Reason being it could cause unfortunate loops of re-evaluating the rules.

I think condition based on whether device is paired or not is way too generic, you usually only need to pair a BT device once :-/
I see, thanks for that. Shows how little I know of using Bluetooth. I thought pairing is like connecting the devices. Unfortunately I see nothing in the APIs to detect when a Bluetooth device is connected. I did see such message in D-Bus, but that won't help if I can't catch the D-Bus messages.

ajalkane, if you want, I could donate an old Nokia BH-111 bluetooth receiver (without the headphones). I have no use for it and since I assume we both live in Finland it would cost me nothing to send it to you. Let me know if you think that might help. No strings attached.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slarti For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slarti View Post
ajalkane, if you want, I could donate an old Nokia BH-111 bluetooth receiver (without the headphones). I have no use for it and since I assume we both live in Finland it would cost me nothing to send it to you. Let me know if you think that might help. No strings attached.
Thank you, that is very generous. Unfortunately I don't think it helps me at the moment. I do luckily have more than one Harmattan based device with Bluetooth, thanks to Nokia, so I can use them to test Bluetooth connection/pairing. My main problem is that I don't have any practical use cases, so I might not properly understand how Bluetooth is used with different devices. I'm just making educated guesses.

But I think that can be worked around with users input of how they use their devices, and correcting on my mistaken assumptions.

The biggest practical issue is right now that I can't seem to detect when a Bluetooth device is connected with the phone. I'm pretty sure it's something about my code and I hope to figure it out... But any pointers to some code about how to detect arbitrary Bluetooth devices connected to N9 is appreciated.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
I know really badly about Bt use cases so I gladly listen to ideas to see what's possible. Of course at the same time I'd like to make as generic condition as possible, so that it would be flexible for different use cases.
TBH I'm not sure of too many others either, I know there's many other uses/profiles, but I only use a tiny fraction of them regularly.
Perhaps if I dug-up some more info. on BT profiles that would help?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought having a condition on defined Bluetooth device would be such flexible condition.
Maybe, I just thought conditions based on use-case (i.e. profile being used) would be slightly better, but maybe it isn't.

That one at least would be possible. But I would avoid such a condition if there are alternatives, since there is action for putting Bluetooth off/on/on&visible. Reason being it could cause unfortunate loops of re-evaluating the rules.
Oh I see, I hadn't considered that, hmmm...
Maybe some sort of check can be devised to warn users that they're creating a rule which will cause issues?
Or maybe that check could prevent them from creating that rule, PERIOD?

I see, thanks for that. Shows how little I know of using Bluetooth. I thought pairing is like connecting the devices.
At least that's my understanding of pairing, it's usually a once-off affair AFAIR.

Unfortunately I see nothing in the APIs to detect when a Bluetooth device is connected. I did see such message in D-Bus, but that won't help if I can't catch the D-Bus messages.
Bummer, I wish I could help more there but my knowledge gets rather murky when it comes to D-Bus & the relevant API's

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-09-22 at 16:46. Reason: typo

@Flopjoke,

Got a minute to answer post #99? Cheers!

TBH I'm not sure of too many others either, I know there's many other uses/profiles, but I only use a tiny fraction of them regularly.
Perhaps if I dug-up some more info. on BT profiles that would help?
I will continue in ProfileMatic's thread as I'm getting awfully off-topic for this thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=755