Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
No, because this Intel chip still use a PowerVR graphic chip, with (as far as I know) no driver availlable for Linux.

Nonetheless, it seems that Intel intends to use atom CPU integrated with their in-house HD graphic GPU (the ones in sandy bridge/ivy bridge processors). These are due for late 2012 or 2013 (codenamed "Valley view" and/or "Balboa Pier").
The HD graphic chips are well documented and have fully open source drivers (and you can allready see valley view specific code in their drivers).

I don't know if these chips will be limited to netbooks/tablets, or if we will see a phone with them, but if it happen it will be much easier to port Mer to it.

I don't know the status of the wireless drivers though, but it would also be intel parts (open too?).
Intel is the major partner/customer of Imagination.
Most of (probably all) Intel chips are actually de-branded PowerVR chips, fyi. I think there was a few Nvidia (mobile) gpu's which were also PowerVR's and just re-labeled.

I can assure you, if you know which chip is really in which build, you can find the PowerVR drivers. Though I'm not sure they would be compatible as is, probably needs some re-writing, but yeah its there.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Can you mabe give some examples or more details / references?

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
AIUI they would use static translation in the cloud during package upload, not during runtime / on-device:

"ARM native NDK apps on the other hand are translated by Intel in the cloud, validated against Intel's Android x86 emulator and pushed to the Play Store. The point is the bulk of binary translation happens away the device itself and running on much faster Xeons in the cloud. As binary translation requires more cycles than natively running the code, which in turn consumes additional power, this was the only route for Intel to ensure that Atom would remain power efficient (and high performance) even on non-native NDK apps."
Fine, as long as it can be done stand-alone on the device itself as well. But given the trend to gain total control over the ecosystem and all the cloud-blabla I guess people simply can't side-load ARM-based APK's, and thus are required to have a Google account to install apps.

Also, I wonder what is to be gained. Java is JIT-compiling on-demand and on-device since ages, even when PC's weren't as powerful as these Intel-devices. I guess that they are more afraid the technology gets "out in the public" through reverse engineering.

Leaves me wondering on how open an Intel-powered MeeGo device would have been. Call me pessimist, but just like Apple and now Nokia/Microsoft these actions seems to be locking down the platform and gaining control. And they get away with it, because the general population doesn't know, doesn't understand, doesn't care, but still is very much willing to pay for it. Sad.

Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Can you mabe give some examples or more details / references?
GMA 500 = SGX 535.

Intel is a long-term licencee of Imagination and their PowerVR company.
Like I said, Intel basically never tells who developed the core, but I don't doubt that most is the work of Im. And perhaps Intel's modified it (cut costs, etc) that's why the drivers may not be compatible, but it isn't impossible.

You can have the drivers from Im if you sign up to them as a developer too, but I think that's restricted to only "flagship" offerings.

I'm flattered

Another Medfield phone, the Lenovo K800 has been released this month as well, though apparently only in China. It's similar to the Xolo. but a bit chunkier with a bigger 720p screen.

There are finally some videos up on Youtube:
Unboxing & hands on (in Chinese)
Gameplay (with WiDi connection to big screen I think)

I really wonder how well Windows/Wine/x86 Linux applications and games would run on these devices.

Posts: 440 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Las Vegas, NV
Originally Posted by nephridium View Post
Another Medfield phone, the Lenovo K800 has been released this month as well, though apparently only in China. It's similar to the Xolo. but a bit chunkier with a bigger 720p screen.

There are finally some videos up on Youtube:
Unboxing & hands on (in Chinese)
Gameplay (with WiDi connection to big screen I think)

I really wonder how well Windows/Wine/x86 Linux applications and games would run on these devices.
That's an android device.

Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
the sgx 540 in that phone is about twice as fast as the 530 in our phone which is FINE
It needs to be faster since the screen has 50% more pixels.
I personally do not think the GPU on the N900 or N9 is "fine".
More recently developed games often target much more capable devices (GPU wise) with the current iPhone, iPad and PS Vita.
These can only run on slower graphic hardware with significantly degraded visual quality.

Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
That's an android device.
Currently it is possible to run a Linux chroot and pipe the UI through localhost VNC, So low FPS applications should run as long as the CPU can keep up. Someone is also working on a native X Server for Android, but progress is slow.

Of course, being an x86 platform, there is always the hope it might have a boot loader that allows running other OSes natively such as Maemo, Ubuntu or even WinXP.