My n9 just got afflicted with an n900 issue. The USB port has broken, I was unable to charge it with any 3rd party usb cables but with a bit of jiggling I am able to get it to charge.

I am a US user with the Singapore version so there is no warranty. Has this happened to anyone else and have they found a way to repair it doesn't discuss USB repair in either of the level 1 or level 2 service manuals.

Any ideas, I have the n9 sitting still while using SCP to copy my whole home directory off of the device. Anyone have any ideas on what I can do.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
oh dear lord. here we go.

good luck mmoylan. Not happened to me though I have broken the USB cover and have chips all over the body. So much for magic polycarbonate.

search for palco in Alabama, they are the authorized Nokia repair center in USA, atleast they will get your phone fixed with a cost to you. Being in USA thats the only thing you can do i believe.

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
search for palco in Alabama, they are the authorized Nokia repair center in USA, atleast they will get your phone fixed with a cost to you. Being in USA thats the only thing you can do i believe.
I have already contacted them, based on what I saw in other forums about broken screens, they said they will have to check the part costs and get back to me. Sounds like I may be the lucky first person to need this repair.

I wish nokia would learn and stop surface mounting usb ports. Or provide a secondary charging method with sealed batteries, like inductive, a docking connector, or a secondary charging port, that does not break.

Originally Posted by afaq View Post
oh dear lord. here we go.

good luck mmoylan. Not happened to me though I have broken the USB cover and have chips all over the body. So much for magic polycarbonate.
My usb door and sim cover were chipping within the first few weeks of having it.

Last edited by mmoylan; 2012-05-02 at 17:23.

Posts: 88 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by mmoylan View Post
I have already contacted them, based on what I saw in other forums about broken screens, they said they will have to check the part costs and get back to me. Sounds like I may be the lucky first person to need this repair.

I wish nokia would learn and stop surface mounting usb ports. Or provide a secondary charging method with sealed batteries, like inductive, a docking connector, or a secondary charging port, that does not break.

http://www.wpcentral.com/electricity...your-lumia-800

The Following User Says Thank You to MaemoJirka For This Useful Post:
Hi I'm based in HK and my Nokia N9 is dead... can't charge, and thus cannot get all my photos and data off the phone.

It is still under warranty in Singapore, but Nokia told me if I post it to the for repair they will completely wipe the phone back to factory settings and lose all the data.

They suggested I take a backup before sending the phone to repair... LOL.... Same applies if I pay for Nokia to repair it locally out of warranty in HK

Since I need my data the only option is to repair it myself... only RS and Farnell really supply to HK market for parts I believe... and so I wanted to know which of these USB Connectors would be the correct one? There are sooooo many, but I'm assuming that not all will fit physically within the space inside the N9

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

http://hk.element14.com/jsp/search/b...atchallpartial

Posts: 704 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Johannesburg - South Africa
Originally Posted by dymaxion View Post
Hi I'm based in HK and my Nokia N9 is dead... can't charge, and thus cannot get all my photos and data off the phone.

It is still under warranty in Singapore, but Nokia told me if I post it to the for repair they will completely wipe the phone back to factory settings and lose all the data.

They suggested I take a backup before sending the phone to repair... LOL.... Same applies if I pay for Nokia to repair it locally out of warranty in HK

Since I need my data the only option is to repair it myself... only RS and Farnell really supply to HK market for parts I believe... and so I wanted to know which of these USB Connectors would be the correct one? There are sooooo many, but I'm assuming that not all will fit physically within the space inside the N9

Can anyone help me?

Thanks

Welcome to the club my friend, atleast U were warned about Wipping the phone by Nokia, my service provider didn't warn me, my phone came back cleaned even though all they had to do is change the USB port, test if it charges and send it back, but nahh they had to switch it on, plug it to a PC Reflashed it. Then got about a $100 / R650 (Not sure of rate conversion) price tag on it. Will pay them on Monday then reinstall all the Apps I lost. Pictures are lost for good!

Well I guess at least they told me in advance they would wipe the phone fortunately.... I should really have kept it sync'd up... sorry to hear you lost all your data.

Very annoying that the port was so flimsy, I always associated Nokia with durability... however it seems they really messed up on this one... I don't hear of any other people (HTC/Samsung/Sony) having this problem... I can see also (aside from tech) from a practical perspective perhaps why Apple have designed their own new connector - it looks much much much more sturdy than the microUSB....

So....anyone wanna guess which of the connectors on the list I should buy