Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Copenhagen, Denmark
I just realized Dorian has never been announced here, so let's fill this gap now:

Announcing Dorian, the e-book reader for the N900

Dorian reads EPUB format books, and has these cool features:
  • Organizing books into library
  • Chapter navigation
  • Bookmarks with notes
  • Color and font styles
  • Portrait and landscape reading
  • Paging with finger of the volume keys
  • Project Gutenberg integration: Search and download books directly from Project Gutenberg

Dorian is available from extras, extras-testing and extras-devel. The project is maintained in the Maemo Garage: https://garage.maemo.org/projects/dorian/ . Report bugs and features there.

Last edited by pipacs; 2010-11-04 at 14:46.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to pipacs For This Useful Post:
Its a great app.

1) still does not allow collapse of chapters in oreilly epubs, but the latest version (from today) does at least list the sections in the toc. some of these books have hundreds of sections to to just see the chapters and be able to then click in would be great. Also (small point) as it is now clicking on a chapter heading (which appears as just another section as it stands now) will not take you to that chapter, you have to go to a section of the chapter. in this case you might miss an introduction page to that chapter.

2) would be have an option to not display the little where you are in the book slider (or whatever it is called) on the top of the page, it is a little annoying when scrolling.

3) option to have ability to use scrolling even when coming to a new section. as it stands now you can scroll along but have to either use the volume rock or the arrow key at the top right to move between sections. again some may like that but an option to just be able to seemlessly scroll the entire book would be nice too.

The latest Dorian version in Extras-devel is 0.3.3.

The latest version in Extras-testing is 0.2.2: http://maemo.org/packages/package_in...dorian/0.2.2-1 . Vote for it, if you would like to see it in the Extras repository!

Dorian 0.3.5 is now available in Extras-devel.

Changes since the last announcement:

0.3.5-1:
  • Fix chapter navigation on Maemo

0.3.4-1:
  • On Symbian, display confirmation after downloading a book
  • Navigate with volume keys on Symbian, too
  • Speed up startup, load books on demand
  • Show splash screen on Symbian
  • Fix restoring last position
  • Use proper UID on Symbian

The Following User Says Thank You to pipacs For This Useful Post:
thanks, I see I can now click on the chapter title and I go to the chapter as opposed to having to click on a section, but I still cannot collapse to just the chapter...is that possible to do? with so many sections in my books I is still very hard to navigate...

Ok see new release, collapse chapter still not in effect on toc oreilly epub. Also

1) by default (if I recall correctly) font opens at 160 size. but if you ever adjust it you can only after that go in 25 increments (ie 150, 175, 200).

2) If you swipe to the left there is the aprox amount of space for an extra page revealed to the right of the text. The practical implications of this are...When swiping downward you often find the page scrolling off to the right. It would be nice if there was a keep aligned left option...Secondly if you in fact do on purpose swipe a bit to the left so that you are not hard right or hard left, and then swipe down or up, the scrolling is much smoother then if you are swiping downward with the aligned to the left (default) or pushed over to the right. I would be nice if the scrolling was always smooth like it is in the middle (between left and right aligned).

3) finally I don't know if this could be done, but an option where swiping (as opposed to using the volume rocker or the little arrow on the bottom left and top right) would seamlessly navigate the document as opposed to stopping at every different toc marker (section or chapter). This way one would not need to go between swipe and using the volume rocker, could just swipe away if one wanted. Thanks for listening...

@extendedping: Thanks for the feedback.

To your requests: "Collapsing chapters": That's something you invented, I never promised such a feature.

Default zoom level: It used to be 160% in early versions, now it's 150%.

Swipe to left: Some books are not very well formatted and/or contain unbreakable long lines or large images. For reading these, horizontal swiping is a must.

Seamless swiping: I agree it would be great, I just don't have a good grip on the implementation.

Dorian 0.3.8 is now available in Extras-devel. Changes since the last announcement:

0.3.8:
  • Move progress bar to the bottom
  • Fix disappearing "exit full screen" button [#6391]

0.3.7:
  • Sort library by title or author

0.3.6:
  • Show Qt versions in Developer dialog box
  • Delete temporary files
  • Don't require Qt 4.7 on Symbian

Originally Posted by pipacs View Post
@extendedping: Thanks for the feedback.

To your requests: "Collapsing chapters": That's something you invented, I never promised such a feature.

Default zoom level: It used to be 160% in early versions, now it's 150%.

Swipe to left: Some books are not very well formatted and/or contain unbreakable long lines or large images. For reading these, horizontal swiping is a must.

Seamless swiping: I agree it would be great, I just don't have a good grip on the implementation.
Sorry If my post came off like I thought you had promised, I did not mean it that way. I do bet in my oreilly there are long lines or images somewhere...would be nice then if there was a way to "snap" to left but still be able to move right with perhaps a longer pull or something to that effect. I guess I will just hope at some point that "collapsing chapters" can be implemented. Again thanks for the active work on the ereader...

Dorian 0.3.9 is now available in Extras-devel, and as a file release in Maemo Garage. Symbian SIS and Maemo DEB packages are both present.

Changes since the last announced release:
  • Don't close library dialog when deleting current book
  • Really delete current book [#6614]
  • Remove inactive items from Options menu on Symbian [#6606]
  • Fix Library window content scrolling [#6622]
  • Allow PNG cover images
  • Improve cover images
  • Reduce speed of kinetic scrolling on Symbian
  • Improve splash screen display on Symbian
  • Add versioning to SIS package