Notices

Posts: 561 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Spain
Thanks, it's GREAT

The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteWolf For This Useful Post:
Installed.
Great!
I have been whishing and missing so an app since so long!
If I could, I'd suggest 2-3 things:

1. Clipman could(should, IMHO) also grab all the selected text to get rid of the "ctrl-c/copy" action.
2. Shortcut valid for every app which pops-up a menu with the last copied items
3. The point 2 would then allow no need to have an constantly opened clipman window. This window, the main clipman window, could then be accessible with another shortcut or via the settings screen.

Thanks a lot for this essential part of a so meritating name GUI.

The Following User Says Thank You to ric9K For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Thanks a lot for all your positive feedback!

Originally Posted by ric9K View Post
I have been whishing and missing so an app since so long!
If I could, I'd suggest 2-3 things:

1. Clipman could(should, IMHO) also grab all the selected text to get rid of the "ctrl-c/copy" action.
Hmm... I don't know if this is a good idea. And sadly I have moreover no clue how to monitor text selections at other applications.
So perhaps this is not a realizable feature. Sorry.

2. Shortcut valid for every app which pops-up a menu with the last copied items
Good Idea. Hmm... perhaps you could check in the meantime the Application Quick Launch if this could do the trick for you without using the keyboard.
If you run ClipMan after you have copied something to the clipboard it get's also grabbed and stored. So perhaps this could work very handy.

3. The point 2 would then allow no need to have an constantly opened clipman window. This window, the main clipman window, could then be accessible with another shortcut or via the settings screen.
A feature to keep this thing running without constantly opened clipman window is planned. I hope to get something like this working soon.

But first I would like to port the current state of this application to MeeGo and then continue to develop ClipMan across Maemo N900 and MeeGo Handset / Tablet at the same time. I guess I will have some more troubles because of the differences between Maemo and MeeGo targets as soon as I've integrated such a background daemon. So I would like to port this application as long as it is as simple as currently.
My plans regarding MeeGo are currently in a very early state. I've troubles to setup a consistent developing environment for all three targets. So please don't count on this feature within the next weeks. But this feature is planned. Don't worry.

Until I have a simple solution for this I'm following a small learning project to prepare myself to develop a small game. So the development of ClipMan gets slowed down a bit...

If you're able to give me some spare time, donations are welcome.

Please DONATE if you like my work!
It's the best way to motivate me to create more stuff for your Device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to helex For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by helex View Post

Hmm... I don't know if this is a good idea. And sadly I have moreover no clue how to monitor text selections at other applications.
So perhaps this is not a realizable feature. Sorry.
Hi,
Sorry if I sholw insistant but with my bad english I just want to be sure... An example:
Under KDE, you just select some text anywhere and middle click to paste it somewhere else. Very handy and easy.
If you need an older selection, click the Kliper icon to pick it up.

I'd say that text selections are managed by the GUI.

Best regards

Under KDE, you just select some text anywhere and middle click to paste it somewhere else. Very handy and easy.
If you need an older selection, click the Kliper icon to pick it up.

I'd say that text selections are managed by the GUI.
Yes, but sadly I would have to replace a part at the GUI system core. And I guess this is not possible for a small application. And perhaps it would break a lot of other stuff.

There are mainly 2 GUI systems at maemo N900. GTK and Qt. I would have to replace at both the Library that manages text inputs. And if I would get this working there would be still applications, like Opera, with their own Text Input fields...

So, no. Sorry. For the Clipboard there is a API to listen in the background. But for Textinputfields I haven't seen something like that before.

helex, killer app... After using this for the last few hours I realise that I have been craving something like this and never realised, this is just so damn useful!

What would be really cool is if you didn't have to switch windows to use the manager, instead enable some hotkey that allowed you to paste in sequentially from the list stored in the manager, something like repeatedly hitting cntrl-v until you hit what you wanted from the list, then click on the screen to un-highlight and continue?

The Following User Says Thank You to elipsoid For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by elipsoid View Post
helex, killer app... After using this for the last few hours I realise that I have been craving something like this and never realised, this is just so damn useful!
Thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by elipsoid View Post
What would be really cool is if you didn't have to switch windows to use the manager, instead enable some hotkey that allowed you to paste in sequentially from the list stored in the manager, something like repeatedly hitting cntrl-v until you hit what you wanted from the list, then click on the screen to un-highlight and continue?
Good Idea. Will think about it how this could work.

Perhaps Control 1-9 to past from the first 9 clipboard slots without a confirming dialog?
Are they used for anything else?

But don't hold your breath. It will took some additional weeks.... (or months)
I want to implement some other features before.

I have currently the Idea to place a additional Button at the Power-Menu (the Buttons you see if you press the Power Button once) to get to the ClipMan window.
But first I need to separate my code into two pieces to get it working in the background without a running application window. Not that easy for me. This is aggravated by the fact that I want to get this running at MeeGo, too. And this is a different story...
So I will try to keep it at the moment as easy as possible. I wan't to get it running at MeeGo first before I begin with more complicated features.

I will try to release a new version with minor changes soon. Have only to fix some stuff...

So, stay tuned but be patient!

I promoted the latest ClipMan package to Extra-Testing. Please don't forget to vote if it works without problems at your device!

First impreesions are good. Easy to use, clipboard manager for text items. Also, allows editing of items (copied text) befoee pasting. The items persist so long as s/w is running the source doc can be closed, which may well free up working memory for device.
---
From Testing:

The software copies and pastes sucessfully. Text is automatically placed in a list of text items when ctrl+C or ctrl +X is pressed. Items can be pasted to any text-accepting space by the standard ctrl+V (probably by using Paste in a menue too, but not tried yet) .

The only way to remove items from the list (at the moment) is all at once.

Perhaps button with the two arrows (like the s/w icon) could be altered for a tick or something. Its purpose is to activate the item in the list as the item to be pasted.

It would be good if there were an obvious scroller in the text-box. It only scrolls with the cursor keys, not a mouse/stylus.

It is not always intuitive whether the text-box or list has focus. Perhaps highlight list item with a different colour when working text box?
---
I haven't used enough to know if it has any memory leaks or other bugs. I'll report back if I find, otherwise I'll give it my vote once I've used it a bit more. Nice one.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
This app is AWESOME. I really wanted an app like this as I do a lot of copy/paste on my N900 while posting on forums/blogs etc. Does exactly what I want it to do. Thank you for such a great app!!

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post: