Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This point is arguable, but at the very least my N900 has survived a chest-level drop onto carpet. The same cannot be said for my sister's 3G.
My oldest son accidentally knocked my N900 from my hand yesterday. It hit the floor hard; battery cover dislodged and battery flew out. No obvious damage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
My oldest son accidentally knocked my N900 from my hand yesterday. It hit the floor hard; battery cover dislodged and battery flew out. No obvious damage.
I always liked dropping my N800 onto hard floors 'cause all of the various pieces would fly in every direction and it looked cool.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
"thanks" for this post goes to your son. add this to his karma at home
posts like these give a good feeling about the overall quality of the device. few people would have tested it the way your son did.

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
Ouch. I bet he felt horrible. How does he like the N900, knowing he's a Symbian user? Does he have familiarity with Linux on the desktop?

Posts: 1,589 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Arlington (DFW), Texas
I usually throw my phones in the backyard as soon as I get them. Honestly. Gotta get a scar first before you can roll in my pocket. The N900 won't get this treatment, though, because it'll be my ONLY mobile device other than a couple N95s and an N78, all with cracked screens and just for parts, though they still work.

tnkgrl's n900 randomly rebooting.. She just got it last week. Going from pre-release to final doesn't 'magically' make these issues go away. But could be a bad build or they added/turned-on some new features which de-stabilized things..

http://twitter.com/tnkgrl

# More N900 weirdness - it's no longer dropping calls, but it's randomly rebooting Ah, pre-release firmware. #n900about 10 hours ago from TweetDeck

Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
tnkgrl's n900 randomly rebooting.. She just got it last week. Going from pre-release to final doesn't 'magically' make these issues go away. But could be a bad build or they added/turned-on some new features which de-stabilized things..
I would bet on one of two:

1. Some rogue application she installed.
2. A ground station or two where she lives that have got handoff problems.

#2 is going to be more probable by a huge margin and explain both dropped calls and reboots. In fact, I have got a spot like that along my daily route to work. It manages to confuse both ancient E70 and the brand new N900.

PS: To clear things up it makes sense to ask her if the reboots always happen around the same location and if they only happen when she is using 3G or GPRS network connection in that area.

Last edited by fms; 2009-10-21 at 19:17.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
I would disagree. When I read a review, I look for what a device does better or worse, for more or less money, than its competition. For better or worse the primary competition for any phone with computing capabilities is the iPhone.

My concern is not that the iPhone is used for comparison but that the comparison is fair. The N900 has capabilities that are not present in the iPhone and vice versa. Pointing both sides out is what a good review should do.

Frankly, I would like to see a comparison with other devices like the Motorola Droid (or whatever it ends up being called). But that will probably have to wait until they both go into production.
Its both valid, both has market, but when 'every' review keeps comparing to something you not interested in or which does things you very much do not like then you're getting ill at one point from all the comparing, and it frustrates because it draws attention away from the potential of the individual (the device, N900, in this case).

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
I always liked dropping my N800 onto hard floors 'cause all of the various pieces would fly in every direction and it looked cool.
Haha.. sadly my n800 has a few scratches on its bezel.. that's about it.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...