Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
There is no perfect phone.

The Nokia N900 was never meant to be only a phone.

Those who thought Nokia N900 might be the perfect phone did not realize GSM/voice was never a primary feature for Nokia N900/Maemo 5.

If one wants a really good phone there are better alternatives than Nokia N900. Or iPhone 3GS, for that matter.

This is convergence 101. Sacrifices have to be made. Obviously, the convergence device cannot be as good as the best, high end, dedicated devices made to do one thing really well in KISS way.

Next headline: N900 not the perfect camera???

That said, this is entirely your headline. Original article didn't use it. Also, the password box is a more general problem. Because you're in public, even the key strokes can be recorded by a camera or sharp eye. To circumvent that, some kind of PKI together with password entry should be used for important authentications. Such as SSH access. Note that, whenever you are using mobile iTunes on an iPhone you experience the very same problem as described.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I walked down the street holding an umbrella in my hand and IM chatting over Google Talk with fiferboy yesterday. Didn't need a stylus
One handed use in portrait mode? Hmm, can you really reach almost the entire keyboard with one hand?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

In the unwired review, he indicates that none of the widgets are scrollable. Is that true?

Edit: I received a message from staska at unwiredview.com and he reiterated that none of the widgets are vertically scrollable. That really sucks for widgets like Facebook, Mauku, RSS, AP news etc.

Is there a technical reason this or is he mistaken?

Last edited by JayBomb999; 2009-10-16 at 01:53.

Posts: 569 | Thanked: 159 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ District of Columbia
Originally Posted by lefteyecc View Post
Hey guys I found a pretty cool article written just today regarding one user's experience with the N900. You can can find it here http://www.unwiredview.com/2009/10/1...te-about-n900/

Pretty interesting especially considering he's still using a pre-release device, and apparently not the final model.
The guy is a ****ing douchbag who obviously didn't read anything about the N900 and probably didn't get invited to the product review golf day or something...he's just butt hurt

-Socrates 469 BC

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by nymajoak View Post
About the screen lock and lack of clock/status summary (received messages, missed calls etc), I kind of agree. But my first thought was this: how hard would it be to make a "screensaver" application which displayed all the stuff you wanted and had a lock function built in?

I.e. The application is launched when the device wants to dim the screen. When you tap the screen an "unlock screen" appears instead, having you enter a code or a gesture.

I'm not sure about the security level of something like this but with a bit of imagination and thought I'm sure something like that wouldn't be too hard to put together..? Fwiw there was already some talk about a gesture-based unlock application in some thread a while back.

it'd be nice, but it would kill the battery like nobody's business, and if you're using the n900 like a tablet instead of a phone that means a recharge every 4 hours

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
One handed use in portrait mode? Hmm, can you really reach almost the entire keyboard with one hand?
I demoed one-hand usage with beer in the other one at the Summit, but I don't think anyone took a picture Anyhow, the way I do it is to have your palm *under* the unit, not on on the side. This way your thumb is front and can reach all buttons, while the other fingers provide support. I also open the kickstand and slip fingers under it so it's harder to drop the thing

If firmware will be updated to support landscape/portrait mode, does N900 has G-sensor to detect landscape/portrait mode? I could not find the related info.

Posts: 547 | Thanked: 1,383 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Stockholm, Sweden
It has an accelerometer, yes

Problem with fMMS? Run in x-terminal: cp /tmp/fmms.log /home/user/MyDocs/
After that you'll see fmms.log in filemanager or when you connect the device to your desktop as a mass storage device.
E-mail the log to me, if you don't have the email address, drop me a PM. Thanks!

fMMS - MMS for your N900
fAPN - GUI for adding a new GPRS APN
If you like this post, don't be shy to thank me -->

The Following User Says Thank You to frals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Originally Posted by UCOMM View Post
it'd be nice, but it would kill the battery like nobody's business, and if you're using the n900 like a tablet instead of a phone that means a recharge every 4 hours
You mean because of the screen being lit up? You would of course not run it with the screen at full brightness. Either you could have adjustable brightness as a setting in the app. There was a screensaver called bigclock (iirc) for s60, which was quite dark but still light enough to make out the time and status. Otherwise you could just let the screen dim, and tap to light up the app.

Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Dear sir - are you on crack.

iPhone:

Size : 3.5-inch (diagonal) widescreen Multi-Touch display
Resolution: 480-by-320-pixel resolution at 163 ppi

N900:
Size: 3.5" touch display
Resolution: 800 x 480 pixels (WVGA)

There is no comparison.

Signed n900
Good reply but come on man there is no need to be rude .