I cable detection is not working for you, how can we check if disable button should be shown? (As I understand you enable/disable button is redundant with disconnected cable)

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by pali View Post
I cable detection is not working for you, how can we check if disable button should be shown?
Cable detection is working: connecting cable to video input -> tvout automatically turns on -> I see image in TV
/sys/.../nokia-av/detect is not working or unreliable -> always 3
Because cable detection is working but nokia-av/detect==3 -> there is another way to detect cable
Sollution is in tvout desktop applet: connecting cable to video input -> applet "on/off" button automatically changes to on. Why?
(Hope you understand now)
(As I understand you enable/disable button is redundant with disconnected cable)
That is correct.

Last edited by maacruz; 2011-11-17 at 11:30.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
Sollution is in tvout desktop applet: connecting cable to video input -> on/off button automatically changes to on (Why?)
Xorg driver change Xv tvout enable attribute automatically (when tvout cable is plugin/unplugged). "Old" tvout desktop widget listening for Xv attributes changes so it update button text ON/OFF.

Auto enable/disable tvout output is done by Xorg driver (not software, daemon or tvout widget).

Status menu plugin using same code for Xv attributes, so it should update gconf key when Xorg driver disable tvout output. Desktop widget now monitor only gconf keys, so if you did not see that button ON/OFF changed, there is problem in status menu widget...

I think that in status menu widget is some race condition (and that is maybe reason why is not working):

Xv enable attrbite was changed --> run callback function which should update gconf key

and when gconf key is changed --> run callback function which should update Xv attributes (and Xorg driver will enable/disable output)

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
On the other hand, thinking again about the on/off setting from a usability point of view, I think it should be removed from the control pannel applet, because it is redundant and very probably will cause problems because the semantics it implies.
Can't agree, and please, don't even think about it.

N900 turns tv-out automatically, when a resistance of ~75 Ohm is detected, between appropriate pins of jack socket. Particularly, it's result of it detecting such resistance on plug, due to it being connected to composite video in of TV - resistance there *should* be 75 Ohm.

Ho ever, many TV's - especially new ones - doesn't follow rule of 75 Ohm (it was technical reason, not a rule of thumb - some part got such resistance in older TV's), and, in "worse" cases (at least for our device), it doesn't enable composite in (and such 75 Ohm resistance), unless it detect signal.

At the same time, N900 doesn't enable signal, until it gets 75 Ohm. So, both devices are waiting forever for each other. In times before TV-Out control widget, one need to prepare special cable, with 75 Ohm resistor bundled inside, and switch, to "cheat" N900 into detecting 75 Ohm, and quickly turn switch, so TV detect signal - and hope, that it will be detected by N900, again, before it disables signal "thinking", that TV cable isn't connected.

So, with all due respect, ideas of disabling manual control over TV-Out, should be fought with fire. I don't care about noobs messing up in their control panel - if someone doesn't understand basic things, he/she got enough things inside controls, to f*** everything this way or another. If someone doesn't feel confident with changing settings, let them stay away from control panel.

At the same time, I doesn't have anything against removing on/off from desktop widget - little inconvenient, but, if it's available from CP, it's ok.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Can't agree, and please, don't even think about it.

Ho ever, many TV's - especially new ones - doesn't follow rule of 75 Ohm (it was technical reason, not a rule of thumb - some part got such resistance in older TV's), and, in "worse" cases (at least for our device), it doesn't enable composite in (and such 75 Ohm resistance), unless it detect signal.

At the same time, N900 doesn't enable signal, until it gets 75 Ohm. So, both devices are waiting forever for each other. In times before TV-Out control widget, one need to prepare special cable, with 75 Ohm resistor bundled inside, and switch, to "cheat" N900 into detecting 75 Ohm, and quickly turn switch, so TV detect signal - and hope, that it will be detected by N900, again, before it disables signal "thinking", that TV cable isn't connected.

/Estel
Ok, if you are going to be that angry, I'll admit "octopus" as pet
Let's the control panel have the option to force enable the tv out. But it should be made clear that is an override, so instead of "[] Enable" it should read "[] Force enable" or "[] Manually turn on" or something like that, so at least intelligent noobs understand that they are screwing something.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
Xorg driver change Xv tvout enable attribute automatically (when tvout cable is plugin/unplugged). "Old" tvout desktop widget listening for Xv attributes changes so it update button text ON/OFF.

Auto enable/disable tvout output is done by Xorg driver (not software, daemon or tvout widget).
Ok, understood.
Status menu plugin using same code for Xv attributes, so it should update gconf key when Xorg driver disable tvout output. Desktop widget now monitor only gconf keys, so if you did not see that button ON/OFF changed, there is problem in status menu widget...
Your desktop widget works. Button changes. Gconf key is updated.

I think that in status menu widget is some race condition (and that is maybe reason why is not working):
status menu widget is not shown

Xv enable attrbite was changed --> run callback function which should update gconf key
This works
and when gconf key is changed --> run callback function which should update Xv attributes (and Xorg driver will enable/disable output)
This works too.

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 548 | Thanked: 562 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by alex-12gods View Post
after installing .dep files(with clean app) i lost all apples on status menu and also tvout control widget wont start.... what did i do wrong???(sorry for my english)
have the same problem!! Reboot and removing of the app didn't work What should I do?!

What have i to do to see my apps in status bar again?!

pls help me

EDIT:

Ok it works. I restarted my phone about 5 times...

Last edited by willi6868; 2011-11-26 at 09:39.

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
There seems to be a bug with scaling. Scale > 93%, picture disappear totally. Tested via control panel setup.
Tested with 2 TV sets.

Last edited by Gusse; 2011-11-30 at 13:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gusse For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Gusse View Post
There seems to be a bug with scaling. Scale > 93%, picture disappear totally. Tested via control panel setup.
Tested with 2 TV sets.
This is problem in Xorg driver, not in plugins...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
have the same problem!! Reboot and removing of the app didn't work What should I do?!

What have i to do to see my apps in status bar again?!

pls help me

EDIT:

Ok it works. I restarted my phone about 5 times...
If you have any uninstall problems, you could try to shutdown device, wait some minutes and power on again.