I'm linux administrator, I know how to properly manage linux - that is why I bought N900. But not for making basic software like email - it should be build in without any errors / missing points.

I need complex device with Linux, but I do not want something for testing / learning, I want to use it.

That is simple. If nokia is selling internet tablets without working email (with proper manage IMAP connection) - do I need to make my own software? Ok, I will but I want such device for free.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to itomek For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Weeeellll... remember how we got here? I challenged your description of Nokia's marketing and you got all defensive and started to paint the picture of how you think Nokia conducts their business (E vs N series, etc) and went around town talking about the market.

(So much about not caring about brands and such but it's ok, we all are affected by the performance of these brands and platforms anyway. So, it's only natural.)
Business is business and consumers who do not get it are well entitled to their way of seeing seeing things, but well itīs going to be long and hard road ahead. Maybe itīs just me but I do not expect nor hope/wish too much. Why on earth should I do something like that? Iīm consumer and my only mission is to consume and feed my needs. If something doesnīt work then well I just change. More over as human who is able to read and memorize things I tend to learn as much as possible on all things that Iīm interested in. If company x says that this is for business and this is for entertainment then it is so.

Defensive? If company likes to make products on outdated concept that differs entertainment,business, casual usages then it makes. Simple as that. Iīm not defending that choice Iīm just saying that maybe also consumer has some intelligence to see this kind of things.

I try to avoid on taking anyones "side". And lately I think that when ever I try to teach stuff to people they tend to think that I'm defending or agreeing on subject. Itīs not like that at all!

We could've saved so much time if the standard answer to Modest related inquiries here is a straight-shooting line like this.
As you can see from that "lovely" wiki page in maemo.org about modest in offline not all people are like OP. Some people like to use their spare time on tweaking and learning simple things that should work out of box. There is no standard answer.

Originally Posted by itomek View Post
I need complex device with Linux, but I do not want something for testing / learning, I want to use it.
N900 is mostly for testing/learning.

btw.
Tinymail which is engine of modest (iirc) and modest also are open sourced. For some fck up reason no-one seems to be interested on fixing that ancient work of "demo" app.

ps.
Looks like someone has poked/voted bugs what I linked. Good job! Still itīs shame that end user have to even make this kind of bug reports and waste their time on having conversations about this.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by slender View Post
I try to avoid on taking anyones "side". And lately I think that when ever I try to teach stuff to people they tend to think that I'm defending or agreeing on subject. Itīs not like that at all!
Teaching? I don't think that's the proper stance to take in an open discussion/debate.

ps: I've found that the best mentors and respected people in any circles (companies, groups, families, forums, etc) usually are the ones that don't 'teach' unless they're asked/requested to.

As you can see from that "lovely" wiki page in maemo.org about modest in offline not all people are like OP. Some people like to use their spare time on tweaking and learning simple things that should work out of box. There is no standard answer.
I'm not against tweaking\hacking to further the capabilities of a gadget. What I am against is shipping an underdeveloped product and marketing it as fully bloomed goods.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Teaching? I don't think that's the proper stance to take in an open discussion/debate.

ps: I've found that the best mentors and respected people in any circles (companies, groups, families, forums, etc) usually are the ones that don't 'teach' unless they're asked/requested to.
Maybe you are right. On the other hand discussions/debates in internet differ quite much from ones had in face to face. When you write here something it stays there and IMO itīs better to have different point of views and maybe also some teaching on framework on besides it. Actually after commenting came to newspaperīs web-pages suddenly journalists came down to level of normal human beings. Itīs just total rip down when someone brakes down article to pieces and show how writer has not done background research enough and makes claims that are not true. On the other hand most of these comments are filtered :|

Hmm. There is point in there that people who tend to put their nose everywhere and give their opinions as facts are highly obnoxious. On the other hand I personally highly respect people who SAY something when you are trying to make point or having opinion. I just love when someone tries to teach me and we end up having debate about why should I do it like that and what are the fundamentals in the background.

I'm not against tweaking\hacking to further the capabilities of a gadget. What I am against is shipping an underdeveloped product and marketing it as fully bloomed goods.
Who wouldn't? IMO This is not place for discussions on Nokias failures in marketing of their devices.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Originally Posted by slender View Post
IMO This is not place for discussions on Nokias failures in marketing of their devices.
Why not? This is maemo.org, is it not? Is this site not dedicated to all things related to the OS of N900?

As far as I can tell, the hardware of N900 was a finished product, but the OS (i.e. Maemo5) was not.

Surely, the 'raison d'etre' of this site is improving and maintaining the OS and part of that will involve discussing what the manufacturer should and should not have included in the original build and on subsequent updates. That will involve criticism of Nokia.

Whilst I agree that complaints should be addressed direct to Nokia, it is only human nature to seek public support on a site with the gravtas and specific content of Maemo.org.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NokTokDaddy For This Useful Post: