There are a number of lib packages in the repos that show as having updates (using FAPMAN, setting to show all), but when trying to install them shows them as conflicting with, and requiring the removal of mp-fremantle-002-pr 10.2010.19-1.002. This is obviously undesirable. However, there are others out there with N900s who have this installed without a conflict (or who haven't reported having one when installing the libs. particularly any of the libsdl-mixer libs.).

So my questions are thus:
1) how broken would my phone be if i actually let it uninstall mp-fremantle-002-pr?
2) Is there a way to get them to install/upgrade without uninstalling mp-fremantle?
3) is there a different/newer version of the metapackage that would allow me to install them that i need to flash to to be able to have the upgraded libraries so i can have all the games and aps i want?

1. Not very, since it's a metapackage. Nothing depends on it. You'll be out of luck if a new PR comes down the pipe though (maybe.)
2. Nope, not without wrecking package management
3. That metapackage is only updated when PR releases come out, so "not yet" is the best I can offer.

Ok, so since nothing depends on it, i should be able to let it uninstall without breaking anything? (just make sure i back up first, etc. etc.).

Follow-up question: i have libsdl-mixer1.2, but there are 3 different upgrade packages available for it:
libsdl-mixer1:1.2.6-5+0m5+ogg+mp3
libsdl-mixer1:1.2.6-5+0m5+ogg+mp3-3
libsdl-mixer1:1.2.8-6maemo4

How do i know which one is the best to upgrade to? Same with any of the other libraries that show up as being upgradable or that have newer versions in the install list (vs the upgrade list)? I don't mind being a beta tester, but i don't like being an alpha tester. But knowing which is the one to get isn't always very clear.

Posts: 388 | Thanked: 842 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ThePooBurner View Post
How do i know which one is the best to upgrade to? Same with any of the other libraries that show up as being upgradable or that have newer versions in the install list (vs the upgrade list)?
Why do you need to upgrade those packages?
Unless you have a specific reason, the best course of action would be not to touch them.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Please do not blindly update to whatever is on extras-devel. People can upload to it without much ado, and we don't usually notice stupid/dangerous stuff uploaded there right until it hits someone else uploading their package.

There are some games that require the newer package, which is why i want to update them. I said this specifically in my first post.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by ThePooBurner View Post
There are some games that require the newer package, which is why i want to update them. I said this specifically in my first post.
Please list them. Overwriting system libraries is against QA guidelines.

There seems to be all kind of weird libsdl-mixer packages in Extras, libsdl-mixer1.2.8 and libsdl-mixer1.2+ogg variant. Weird thing about these is how did they get to Extras as I can't see any package depending on them and that they cannot be installed with Application Manager in the first place.

libsdl-mixer1.2+ogg variant should be removed from extras-devel because it's used for building instead of the official package.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Please list them. Overwriting system libraries is against QA guidelines.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ghlight=beat2x

This is one of them.